What's new

The West Wing Season 2 reviews (1 Viewer)

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
I believe The West Wing is the greatest television show ever made and May 18th cannot come soon enough. Reviews are starting to pop up and according to one over at CHUD, Season 2, though wasn't broadcast in widescreen, is in fact...

IN WIDESCREEN!

This makes me all giddy inside! One other thing, am I nuts for having the biggest crush on C.J. Cregg?

EricW

Senior HTF Member
is this like ER, where even though it wasn't shot in widescreen it was "framed" that way, so now they're putting it on DVD in the modified aspect ratio?

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
They were forward thinking for HDTV broadcasts, so even though it wasn't originally broadcast in widescreen, it was framed that way. How successful they were at the dual aspect ratio is yet to be seen.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This should be interesting. In an American Cinematographer article from a few years ago, the show's cinematographer, Tom Del Ruth, stated pretty clearly that the first two seasons were composed and shot for 4:3 as required by the powers that be. There's nothing in there about it being aired 4:3 but intended for widescreen. Usually AC mentions that sort of thing - in their recent "24" article they mention that the show is shot for 16:9 even though its aired 4:3.

James Lambert

Stunt Coordinator
After watching a couple of episodes last night, I have to say how good it looks in widescreen. I was apprehensive going in as it was definitely broadcast in 4;3 in the UK, and can be backed up by the fact that the opening credits are anamoprhic 1.33 with black bars at the sides. The framing is very natural though and I probably prefer it as it makes the show feel more cinematic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks