Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

The Game

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 OFFLINE   ArthurFlew

ArthurFlew

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 04:19 PM

Hi, first time poster. I just recently discovered your forum, and I must say I am enjoying it quite a bit so far. A lot of knowledgeable people here. Anyway, to start off my first post, I was wondering if anyone had heard of a special edition release of the movie the Game, with Michael Douglas? David Fincher has some awesome sets for his other movies, and it would just be a shame for them not to release a better DVD for this wonderful movie. Thanks in advance. aRT
My DVD Collection

#2 of 18 OFFLINE   Justin Bauer

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 04:24 PM

I have not seen anything announced. There was a FALSE rumor about 2 years ago which had A Criterion Collection edition of The Game that would be similar to the Criterion Laserdisc. Sadly, it was false. I am a huge fan of this movie and refuse to buy the DVD until a nice special edition comes out. My Criterion Laserdisc version of the movie will hold me over. It is one of my most prized possessions.
We're Texas.

#3 of 18 OFFLINE   Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,068 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 04:35 PM

I recently bought the bare-bones editions of "The Game" and "Bottle Rocket" so expect the Criterion announcements any day now Posted Image
Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

#4 of 18 OFFLINE   Mike Graham

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 05:45 PM

I picked this disc up two years ago after the Criterion rumours proved false. Its a shame that its the only Fincher film not to receive the royal treatment, since its a great movie. Howard Shore's music is wonderful as usual, as well as the direction, cinematography and Douglas' acting. While the current DVD has no extras, and lacks anamorphic enhancement, the 5.1 track is nicely done. If you can find one for around $10-15 it should be enough to hold you over for the eventual special editon.

#5 of 18 OFFLINE   ArthurFlew

ArthurFlew

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 08:01 PM

I already have the barebones version, but having it sit next to his other movies, I can't help but feel sadness that it's the only one of his movies that has a crappy dvd. Let's hope we hear something soon. BTW, who owns the rights for a DVD release for this movie?
My DVD Collection

#6 of 18 OFFLINE   jonathan_little

jonathan_little

Stunt Coordinator

• 223 posts

Posted April 28 2004 - 03:55 AM

Same here.

#7 of 18 OFFLINE   Christian P

Christian P

Stunt Coordinator

• 86 posts

Posted April 28 2004 - 05:03 AM

Ditto.

#8 of 18 OFFLINE   David Brashear

David Brashear

Stunt Coordinator

• 91 posts

Posted April 28 2004 - 06:47 AM

Universal has the rights. They've loaned their movies to Criterion in the past, so a Criterion release isn't entirely out of the question.

#9 of 18 OFFLINE   Ricard Casselha

Ricard Casselha

Stunt Coordinator

• 69 posts

Posted April 28 2004 - 10:08 AM

I'm not a religous man, but if you're out there, David Prior, hear our prayers!

Posted Image

Seriously, I can't for the life of me understand WHY this movie hasn't recieved a worthy treatment. I mean, they made a Special Edition out of "Crossroads" for christsakes.

#10 of 18 OFFLINE   Dwayne

Dwayne

Supporting Actor

• 753 posts

Posted April 28 2004 - 06:18 PM

I been waiting for a long time for SE of The Game. I have every other Fincher film out there except this one. I refuse to buy the current edition for reasons mentioned above.
Dwayne

#11 of 18 OFFLINE   Will*B

Will*B

Second Unit

• 475 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted April 28 2004 - 10:57 PM

One of the things I wanted the Criterion LD for most was the 'alternate ending'. I spent hours thinking of all the wonderful possible endings that could exist.. But then I heard that the so-called 'alternate ending' was pretty poor, although I still don't know what it is. Anyone with the Criterion LD care to comment?

#12 of 18 OFFLINE   Charles de Lauzirika

Charles de Lauzirika

Second Unit

• 268 posts

Posted April 29 2004 - 03:01 AM

Alternate Ending:
I haven't watched my Criterion LD in a while, but if I recall correctly, Nicholas Van Orton leaves the hotel where his CRS party took place and approaches the sidewalk. The hotel's doorman asks NVO if he would like a cab. NVO considers it a moment (as if contemplating whether or not The Game is still being played, also remembering his most recent taxi experience) and then says something like, "No thanks. I'll walk." He then walks off into the city, alone.

#13 of 18 OFFLINE   Will*B

Will*B

Second Unit

• 475 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted April 29 2004 - 04:20 AM

Thanks for the details on the alternate ending Charlie. Doesn't sound like a particularly radical change anyway! I'd always imagined it would be something like Van Orton falling through the glass at the end, and there being no air-bags for him to fall onto.. or something. Anyway! Thanks again, good to know.

#14 of 18 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted April 29 2004 - 08:54 AM

The current discs are really bad (on a front projector) 4x3 lbxed non-anamorphic. This title DESERVES a decent HD transfer and 16x9 DVD!!!!
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#15 of 18 OFFLINE   DannyS

DannyS

Second Unit

• 332 posts

Posted April 29 2004 - 09:44 AM

I wish this would be a criterion so so much! I love the movie and it really deserves this. Considering the high regard Fincher is held in now, and even Alien 3 has had a Special edition... I honestly believe its a matter of when not if.
even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day

My DVD collection

#16 of 18 OFFLINE   MarcusUdeh

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor

• 785 posts

Posted November 05 2004 - 05:22 AM

Has Sony licensed out its titles to Criterion for DVD?
[c][/c]

#17 of 18 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted November 05 2004 - 05:46 AM

I'd be all over a "The Game" SE. It is definitely one of my favorites of all time. I remember seeing this in the movie theater and my jaw was still on the floor 10 minutes after it ended. What a rollercoaster! I couldn't help myself and picked up the current version. When I need to watch it, I just throw it on my non-HD monitor 32" TV and check it out. It usually tides me over for a while. BTW, that alternate ending sounds lame!
"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#18 of 18 OFFLINE   StevenF

StevenF

Stunt Coordinator

• 130 posts

Posted November 05 2004 - 06:29 AM

Movie was great. DVD sucked.
You wanna get out of here... you talk to me! - The Road Warrior

My DVD Collection (DVD Profiler)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users