What's new

Hollywood Video starting 3/$25 today on used rentals. (1 Viewer)

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I'm going to wait till next week when The Rundown is available, but this is a damn good deal on near new releases.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Looks like this sale might only go thru the *end* of April.

Decided to get Matchstick Men, Lost in Translation, and Open Range.

Not bad for $8.30 per movie.

HV still puts all rentals in new cases (the good), but they have now started putting security stickers on the discs (the bad).

Some care has been taken with sticker placement but, if you're like me, the stickers must go.

Used a blow dryer to warm the stickers and remove them without incident.

Applying heat to a disc is tricky business, however, so be careful.

Last night I picked up pirates of the carib, radio and T3.

My pirates was scratched and they didn't have anymore.

they gave me a free rental for the night, and I was going to pull a switcheroo....and that one was scratched too!!

HV assoc said there will be some coming in on Sunday, so that's cool.

they're guaranteed for a year (that's good), but make sure there's mult copies of the movies you pick up just in case!

Last night I picked up pirates of the carib, radio and T3.

My pirates was scratched and they didn't have anymore.

they gave me a free rental for the night, and I was going to pull a switcheroo....and that one was scratched too!!

HV assoc said there will be some coming in on Sunday, so that's cool.

they're guaranteed for a year (that's good), but make sure they're mult copies of the movies you pick up just in case!

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Doubled back for: School of Rock, American Wedding, and Underworld.

SoR had a troublesome-looking scratch, but played fine.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I picked up Lost in Translation, Swimming Pool and Matchstick Men. No security stickers, but those crappy security cases were used.

Didn't see anything else I wanted but I may do another perusal before the sale ends.

Greg S

Supporting Actor
This was a great deal for me. Picked up 15 titles I had skipped when released. Saved 20% on the deal as well with some gift cards I had.

I got

Open Range
Runaway Jury
Lost in Translation
Spy Kids 2
Spy Kids 3
Scooby Doo in Mexico
Scooby Doo Space Cape Adventure
Scooby Doo and the Vampire
Piglet's Big Movie
Animatrix
Radio
School of Rock
3 others that I just can't remember, duh.

Thanks for the mention of the sale.

Greg

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Checked 2 Hollywood locations, no Pirates OTC :frowning: . Lots of stock on others though. I can't see this sale ending this week as they seem to be loaded with PV stock, several racks at each store.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Steer clear of 'American Wedding', despite getting Two Thumbs-Up, it blows.

Pawned it for $5, so I'm only out the cost of a rental.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I picked up Mia Kirshner's Cowboys & Angels (and Matrix3 and a title for my housemate) and as usual was delighted to find that NO ONE RENTS ARTSY OR UNHEARD-OF FILMS, SO THEY NEVER HAVE SCRATCHES!

Matrix was a bit beat up, but plays ok. They had wedged both discs onto one hub of a dvd case though, which momentarily engaged my dvd-nerd circuits.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

And the nice part about Hollywood Video's version of Animatrix is it comes in an Amaray case rather than one of those cardboard snappers.

Sanjiva

Agent
you can get pirate of the c at BB 2 for $20 sale. I saw quite a few there. And 2 for $20 is not bad as you have decent titles to pick from.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Went to another franchise, which had discs set up as usual on table tops but also an entire rack of not-so-popular titles lined up spines out. Despite the quantity, there were only a couple of gems in that mix - most notably "Ripley's Game" starring John Malkovich, which was just released a couple weeks ago. If you're a Tom Ripley fan it's worth checking out.

Picked up "Matrix Revolutions," "School of Rock" and "The Quiet American." May go back for "Pieces of April," "Ripley's Game" and "CQ."

Dennis Heller

Second Unit
I picked up "Matrix Revolutions," "Winged Migration"(!), and "American Splendor." Will probably go back for more, too.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Oh, and there were actually some normal cases in the mix! I avoided Hollywood for awhile because of the security cases.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Anyone know how long this sale is going for? I'm wondering if it'll last long enough to overlap the sale of some of the past few weeks' releases. . .

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I was over there yesterday and everything is still on, for this week at least.

Last time HV had a sale this good, it was three days only during Thanksgiving.

Going back today for the release of The Rundown (going to pair with Intolerable Cruelty & 2nd Hand Lions).

Was thinking about Whale Rider and American Splendor, but the weird stuff usually ends up going for 2/$15 later anyway.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

You mean at Hollywood Video?

BTW, the sign in the window of my local Blockbuster implies that the pre-viewed 2 for $20 is permanent. It said something like "Everyday Savings" on it.

Frank@N

Screenwriter

When they go back to 3/$30 on new releases, you may notice a smaller table with older / less popular titles for $9.99 on it.

Typically, they will have deal where you can buy these for 2/$15.

I remeber getting 'Happy Accidents' and 'Shipping News' for $7.50 a piece with this deal.

Frank@N

Screenwriter

BTW, none of my locations had copies of 'The Rundown' today.

Since the movie is apparently renting well, corporate did not issue any 'pull' orders.

Maybe next week...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks