Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The farthest you've travelled to see a band?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
69 replies to this topic

#1 of 70 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,617 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 07:44 AM

I ask this after buying tickets to see a band in Boston, even though I'll have to fly there from Atlanta, solely to see the band, though there's plenty of sight-seeing to do in the afternoons.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#2 of 70 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,544 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 07:51 AM

That's loyalty, Patrick. The furthest I've gone is from Los Angeles to San Francisco. While some could say "it's in the same state!" keep in mind that it's about 360 miles to drive it, so that's equivalent to a few states in the east coast... Posted Image

#3 of 70 Angelo.M

Angelo.M

Producer

• 4,007 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 07:59 AM

"Furtherest"?

You Vulgar English bastard!... Posted Image

(Admin note - oops! Fixed title)

#4 of 70 Daryl Furkalo

Daryl Furkalo

Second Unit

• 374 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 08:08 AM

470 miles to Minneapolis.

#5 of 70 Mike SJ

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor

• 718 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 08:11 AM

KC to Denver for many shows @ Red Rocks Amphitheater, the best venue

But will be going to The Gorge in George, Washington to see The Dead and The Allman Brothers this summer !!!!!!!!!!!

#6 of 70 Angelo.M

Angelo.M

Producer

• 4,007 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 08:16 AM

Quote:
(Admin note - oops! Fixed title)

:wink:

NYC to Chapel Hill, NC, for a lovely summer evening with Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, just a few days after the death of Johnny Cash.

Bruce opened with "Ring of Fire." 'Nuff said...

And I didn't travel there for it, but I caught Radiohead in Italy while there on business. The tickets were damned pricey, as was my hotel room (damn you, Radiohead), and the show was a bit lackluster.

#7 of 70 RandyWebb

RandyWebb

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 08:20 AM

We should also mention the band we thought it was worth traveling to see...Posted Image

My trip was pretty short, only about 250 miles. Friday night in Miami...Saturday and Sunday in St.Pete. Three Grateful Dead Shows in three days (back in '87 or '88)Posted Image

#8 of 70 Jimmy Nugent

Jimmy Nugent

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 08:20 AM

My cousin flew from Jacksonville, FL to Germany to see Roger Waters and a gang of friends perform a few numbers at The Wall back in 89/90. Wished I was there...

#9 of 70 Marvin

Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,448 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 08:27 AM

However many miles it is from NY to England to see Procol Harum, twice: once in Manchester, once outside of London.

#10 of 70 Brian L

Brian L

Screenwriter

• 2,882 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 09:15 AM

Hey Marvin, did you hear Robin Trower on Rockline last week? Nothing earth shattering, just promo for the new CD. There's s stream available at the Trower Power site.

And to get back on topic and answer the question...I don't know for sure, but Mapquest says 855 miles from Albuquerque to Porterville, CA to see Trower in '93.

BGL

#11 of 70 Mike SJ

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor

• 718 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 10:00 AM

OK, who here has seen the Dead?

PS Randy, you lucky, you saw shows on my birthday!which is also Bob Wier's Birthday!!!!!!!!

10-15-88 Bayfront Center Arena, St. Petersburg, Fl. (Sat)
1: Music> Sugaree, Blow Away, Walking Blues, Push, Queen Jane, Tennessee Jed, Let It Grow
2: Space> Saturday Night> Crazy Fingers> Playin> Uncle John> Drumz> Truckin> Smokestack> Stella Blue> Lovelight E: U. S. Blues
10-16-88 Bayfront Center Arena, St. Petersburg, Fl. (Sun)
1: Half Step, Good Times, Stranger, FOTD, Memphis Blues, To Lay Me Down> Don't Ease
2: Box Of Rain, Victim> Foolish Heart, L. L. Rain> Terrapin> Drumz> Wheel> Gimme Some Lovin> Watchtower> Morning Dew E: Mighty Quinn
Bob Weir's 41st birthday - "Happy Birthday Bobby" before the encore

#12 of 70 TedT

TedT

Second Unit

• 422 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 10:07 AM

This is a sore subject for me. When I heard the Wildhearts were coming to America to tour with the Dragons, after the dates were posted, and tickets went on sale, I bought plane & train tickets to travel from San Diego to NYC, Phily, & Pittsburgh. A month before the show, the Wildhearts cancelled to join the completely sold out the Darkness tour!

I still went to NYC though (had a blast) and saw the Dragons. So even though I've seen them over 150 times, I basically travelled 3,000 miles to see them again. A few other people I know from San Diego made the trip too!

#13 of 70 Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor

• 996 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 10:09 AM

In september of 1988 I was at all 9 shows the Dead performed at Madison Square Garden, Mike. Just a month before the show you mention. They perfomed over 11 nights, 3 shows, day off, three shows, day off, three shows. It was exhausting. I didn't travel far either, as each night I walked there from my Manhattan office.

The furthest I traveled to see the Dead was up to Oxford Plains, Maine that same year on 4th of July weekend. What a blast!

#14 of 70 Gary_W

Gary_W

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 10:22 AM

Salt Lake City to Los Angelas in '79 to see Neil Young's "Rust Never Sleeps" tour. Three college buddies and a bunch of controlled substances made for an extremely wild time.

#15 of 70 ChrisP

ChrisP

Agent

• 34 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 10:22 AM

I'd have to say St. Louis, MO to Big Cypress, FL to see Phish on NYE 99.

#16 of 70 Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,454 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted April 27 2004 - 10:44 AM

I flew to Atlanta (from Houston) last year to see Camel on their extremely limited North American tour. I flew in the day before so I could do a little sight-seeing with some friends who drove in from Shreveport. However, Atlanta was under a torrential downpour all day when TS Bill blew through. And THEN one of the band members became seriously ill and the concert was canceled three hours before showtime. Posted Image

So do I win the "farthest traveled in sucky weather to see a band which didn't show up" competition? Posted Image

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#17 of 70 KevinJ

KevinJ

Supporting Actor

• 558 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 12:29 PM

i saw the dead at alpine valley in 83...my oldest brother went to see em in essen germany in 1990

#18 of 70 Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 12:56 PM

Mine won't win, but will still be impressive: Posted Image

I drove 80 miles once to see Fugazi. (Santa Clara to the Phoenix Theater in Petaluma. Through SF over the Golden Gate bridge.) By myself too, in that I was new in town and didn't know anyone to go with.

But. The only place to get tickets was at a record store in ... Petaluma. So I drove up 2 nights before to get the tickets, and then back up the night of the show.

The funny part was, when I told the dude at the record store when I got them, he said shoot dude, we could have held on to one for you and you could have just picked it up the night of the show. Posted Image

First time I saw them and still glad I did it the way that I did, because I would have been afraid all the tickets would have been gone. Did sell out.
If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#19 of 70 Grant B

Grant B

Producer

• 3,213 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 01:47 PM

Flew from San Francisco To London to see The Who perform Quadrophenia in Hyde Park.Best of all I ended up getting tickets from Pete through a friend. He was out at the time but it was pretty cool seeing his office outside of London.

I also drove to Washington DC from Northern Ohio to see them and SF to LA.

I wouldn't drive to the Suburbs to see what's left of the Band now.

I Drove from Northern England to Brighton once with some friends because Lemmy of Motorhead was suposed to be at the party....about 8 hours.....the #$%^& didn't show.
"Whatever it is, I'm against it!" G. Marx

Sony TAE/TAP/TAN(2)9000ES;DVP-CX860 DVP-CX777ES
Sony CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355 CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355
Sony S-TS 700ES XPR32450Pioneer Elite CLD 79 KEFs (5) Q75s & 20B Subwoofer

#20 of 70 Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor

• 569 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 02:18 PM

I know people flying in from the UK to go to Coachella music festival this weekend =)