Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Audio from DVD player or receiver

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Adrian P

Adrian P

Stunt Coordinator

• 65 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 03:40 AM

I wanted to know if anyone could clarify something for me.

I am interested in getting a new DVD player (leaning towards the Zenith DVB318 HD DVD). This is only a $200.00 player so I am sure the audio is not too good. My receiver is an NAD T762.

If I was to use analog from the DVD player to the receiver, then would the audio would be from the D/A converters of the DVD player? If I connect my optical to my receiver, does it bypass the audio in the DVD player completely thus using the D/A converters of the NAD?

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   AndrewErickson

AndrewErickson

Stunt Coordinator

• 128 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 03:42 AM

Watching a movie in dolby digital or dts will most certainly require you to use the coax or optical digital output from the DVD player.

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   RandyWebb

RandyWebb

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 03:57 AM

Yes you definitely want to use the digital output from the DVD (either optical or digital coax), to take advantage of the DAC's in the NAD

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Brian L

Brian L

Screenwriter

• 2,882 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 04:09 AM

Well, here's the deal with the 762 (which I also own).

It has a known problem (as do many other A/V receivers) where it chops the first second or so from many CDs, and it does so between tracks as well. This occurs while it tries to decide what decoding to use.

There are a few discs and a few players that are said to NOT have this issue, but my 762, when tested with players from Denon, Sony, and Pioneer does it.

Actually, it does it with DVDs too, but since there are no separate tracks on a DVD, its only noticed when the disc first loads.

In any event, I personally can not listen to CDs that way, so I use both an analog connection (which I use for CDs) and a digital connection, which, as was already stated, is required for movies in DD or DTS.

As a bonus though, the 762, when playing an analog source in stereo mode, bypasses all DSP and A/D conversion, BUT still allows BM and Tone Controls.

Since I have decent DACs in my audio player, thats what I use and it sounds quite good. But, by all means try it with just a digital connection, but if it chops the beginning of your CDs, you will need to do both analog and digital.

BGL

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Adrian P

Adrian P

Stunt Coordinator

• 65 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 04:13 AM

Quote:
Watching a movie in dolby digital or dts will most certainly require you to use the coax or optical digital output from the DVD player.

I understand that. What I want to know is where does the audio truly come from. The DVD or receiver. If I play a CD on my DVD player through the optical digital output or coax, is the audio from my DVD player being utilized?

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Adrian P

Adrian P

Stunt Coordinator

• 65 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 04:20 AM

Quote:
It has a known problem (as do many other A/V receivers) where it chops the first second or so from many CDs, and it does so between tracks as well. This occurs while it tries to decide what decoding to use.

Unfortunately, mine does this too. Does NAD have a fix and if so is it covered under warranty? I will try try analog from now on.

Thanks BrianL

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,583 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted April 27 2004 - 04:21 AM

If you make this connection, then the audio is converted in your receiver, not your player. Essentially, your player acts as a transport and your receiver like an outboard DAC.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Brian L

Brian L

Screenwriter

• 2,882 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 04:27 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately, mine does this too. Does NAD have a fix and if so is it covered under warranty? I will try try analog from now on.

There was a SW update that was said to improve the problem, but I already had the latest, so there was no fix.

I think you can press the Audio and Video buttons on the 762 to get the SW version number to display. I am a bit fuzzy on what version I have, but I think it was 1.21 maybe?

BGL

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,550 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted April 27 2004 - 06:17 AM

Quote:
I understand that. What I want to know is where does the audio truly come from. The DVD or receiver. If I play a CD on my DVD player through the optical digital output or coax, is the audio from my DVD player being utilized?

Any time you use an analog connection, you are dealing with a signal that has already had it's D->A done. When you use the digital connection, as PaulDA states, the D/A is done in the receiver, however a player with good build quality will still give you somewhat better sound via digital, though the overall sound will still be determined by the receiver's DACs.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Adrian P

Adrian P

Stunt Coordinator

• 65 posts

Posted April 28 2004 - 05:55 AM

Quote:
I think you can press the Audio and Video buttons on the 762 to get the SW version number to display. I am a bit fuzzy on what version I have, but I think it was 1.21 maybe?

I tried it on mine and the version was 1.20 so I guess I have one of the earlier units...

Thanks for all responses...

Back to Blu-ray, DVD, LD, Tivo, Satellite and Other Playback Devices

Forum Nav Content I Follow