What's new

Audio from DVD player or receiver (1 Viewer)

Adrian P

Stunt Coordinator
I wanted to know if anyone could clarify something for me.

I am interested in getting a new DVD player (leaning towards the Zenith DVB318 HD DVD). This is only a $200.00 player so I am sure the audio is not too good. My receiver is an NAD T762.

If I was to use analog from the DVD player to the receiver, then would the audio would be from the D/A converters of the DVD player? If I connect my optical to my receiver, does it bypass the audio in the DVD player completely thus using the D/A converters of the NAD?

AndrewErickson

Stunt Coordinator
Watching a movie in dolby digital or dts will most certainly require you to use the coax or optical digital output from the DVD player.

RandyWebb

Agent
Yes you definitely want to use the digital output from the DVD (either optical or digital coax), to take advantage of the DAC's in the NAD

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Well, here's the deal with the 762 (which I also own).

It has a known problem (as do many other A/V receivers) where it chops the first second or so from many CDs, and it does so between tracks as well. This occurs while it tries to decide what decoding to use.

There are a few discs and a few players that are said to NOT have this issue, but my 762, when tested with players from Denon, Sony, and Pioneer does it.

Actually, it does it with DVDs too, but since there are no separate tracks on a DVD, its only noticed when the disc first loads.

In any event, I personally can not listen to CDs that way, so I use both an analog connection (which I use for CDs) and a digital connection, which, as was already stated, is required for movies in DD or DTS.

As a bonus though, the 762, when playing an analog source in stereo mode, bypasses all DSP and A/D conversion, BUT still allows BM and Tone Controls.

Since I have decent DACs in my audio player, thats what I use and it sounds quite good. But, by all means try it with just a digital connection, but if it chops the beginning of your CDs, you will need to do both analog and digital.

BGL

Adrian P

Stunt Coordinator

I understand that. What I want to know is where does the audio truly come from. The DVD or receiver. If I play a CD on my DVD player through the optical digital output or coax, is the audio from my DVD player being utilized?

Adrian P

Stunt Coordinator

Unfortunately, mine does this too. Does NAD have a fix and if so is it covered under warranty? I will try try analog from now on.

Thanks BrianL

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
If you make this connection, then the audio is converted in your receiver, not your player. Essentially, your player acts as a transport and your receiver like an outboard DAC.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

There was a SW update that was said to improve the problem, but I already had the latest, so there was no fix.

I think you can press the Audio and Video buttons on the 762 to get the SW version number to display. I am a bit fuzzy on what version I have, but I think it was 1.21 maybe?

BGL

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Any time you use an analog connection, you are dealing with a signal that has already had it's D->A done. When you use the digital connection, as PaulDA states, the D/A is done in the receiver, however a player with good build quality will still give you somewhat better sound via digital, though the overall sound will still be determined by the receiver's DACs.

Adrian P

Stunt Coordinator

I tried it on mine and the version was 1.20 so I guess I have one of the earlier units...

Thanks for all responses...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks