What's new

Kill Bill V2 - Shogun Assassin??? (3 Viewers)

Jeff Swearingen

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
For those of you who watched the second part of Kill Bill in theaters already, you probably noticed the reference to the Kung Fu movie Shogun Assassin. Is this available?

Garry Cowell

Stunt Coordinator
The 'Samurai' movie is available on R2 UK DVD quite a scabby transfer but considering the history* of this bastard child it's not all bad.

"Ohhhh mad one we see your trap!!!"

*History

In a pre-Miramax move a US company in the early 80's took the first two Japanese Lone Wolf movies; cut them apart, threw out all the non action scenes, edited them into an audience friendly 80 minutes (comprising of 20% Lone Wolf & Cub 1: Sword Of Vengeance and 80% Lone Wolf & Cub 2: Baby Cart At The River Styx) and then dubbed them into English!

SURPRISINGLY! This actually works for two reasons...

1) The episodic nature of the 'Lone Wolf' movies allowed scenes to be viewed out of context.
2) Someone had the ingenious idea of having the kid narrate the story. Which not only helps paste over the sudden jumps in geography and plot but adds a whole different angle on the viewing of the movie.

I was quite surprised to find that some of my favourite scenes from Shogun Assassin were handled less well in the original... e.g. the scene where Tigaro must choose between the ball (death) and the sword (life) has no suspense due to it been a flashback in Sword Of Vengeance. Also there's some seriously thin on the ground foley work (intentional or not?!) used for the opening 10min of 'Sword' that is a tad distracting to say the least. 'Shogun' not only solves this problem but adds a hugely cool electronic score through out (that shouldn't work but does). Add to that a really good dub job and a runtime that fly's by quicker than one of Lone Wolf's attacks!

Anyway, I'm sure purist will hate it because of what it is but if Lone Wolf's bastard child turns up at my house seeking food and shelter I'd certainly welcome him with open arms.

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
Shogun Assassin is actually the first two Lone Wolf & Cub movies edited together (some plot cut out, so that there is more blood per minute).

I just watched the first Lone Wolf & Cub movie (Sword of Vengeance), it was really fun!

Ralph Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
One of my favorite parts of Kill Bill Vol. 2 is when Bill says Shogun Assassin is "too long" to watch with Mommy. It's not "too violent," though. :)

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I wish! (in R1)

I'm collecting the individual LW&C DVDs, but the icing on the cake would be to have a sweet OAR transfer of Shogun Assassin. I like the boy's perspective among other things.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
As others have said the Lone Wolf & Cub films are on DVD & they look great. Unless you have an aversion to reading subtitles I prefer them over the bastard child Shogun Assassin.

Another film you might be interested in would be Lady Snowblood which was a huge influence on Kill Bill.

Happy slashings! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks