Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Behr Sandwash textured paint, in a panic, wife is pissed, HELP!!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   John Prator

John Prator

Stunt Coordinator

• 152 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 01:43 AM

Ok Guys, I'm in need of some serious help, here's the story:

Well the Theater was moving along great until this weekend! We painted our ceiling and front wall flat black with and airless sprayer and it looks great. The paint we chose for the remaining walls is made by Behr, it's a textured paint called Sandwash and the color is called Dusty Star. Color is very similar to the Kodak gray. The first coat went on beautifully, the second coat went on beautiful also but on the last can of paint it seems that there was way to much of the texture in it and the last wall looks like total crap!! It has large areas with what looks like tons of sand in it! We are in a panic, what can we do to remove this paint and try to repaint that wall? We can't sand in there as the ceiling and front wall are flat black, it will stick to it like glue as it will also on the other walls because they have the textured paint on them. Please, if anyone has any ideas, help.
Thank you.
John

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst

Screenwriter

• 2,589 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 02:00 AM

Quote:
what can we do to remove this paint and try to repaint that wall?

I have a feeling that sanding is the only option. Get some 220 grit sandpaper and a drywall sander. Tape off the areas that have already been painted and you don't want to touch. Use a shop vacuum to clean up the paint sandings.

That is about the only way to do this.
"My reality check ... just bounced"

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   marc_manny

marc_manny

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 02:27 AM

I have seen in Lowes a dustless drywall sanding system. I have no idea how well it will work, but it looks like it uses a water tank or something. It might be worth a shot? I am sure HD also will have it. Sorry I do not know the name of it. I didn't care about dust when I was finishing some walls, so I did not look at it too closely.

Marc

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   John-S

John-S

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 04:50 AM

Home Depot rents out a Porter-Cable drywall sander for $30-$40. You must buy the sanding discs and pads, but I've used it and it works really well. It uses a spinning disc surrounded by a lip that vacuums up most of dust as you go, depositing it into a filter bag in an attached canister.

I'm not sure how well this would work for your paint - there's a possibility that the sandy texture would shred up the standard drywall pads.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   John Prator

John Prator

Stunt Coordinator

• 152 posts

Posted April 28 2004 - 03:39 AM

Well we got it worked out, we are using a 4" rigid putty knife and it takes it off very well. We all ready have half the wall done!Posted Image Thanks so much for all your help!Posted Image
SIncerely,
John