What's new

The longest Day? Color version? (1 Viewer)

gxchen

Auditioning
Dear all,

Can any tell me if there is a color version of this movie in DVD?

So far, I can only find the color version in VHS format, while all DVD formats are black and white only.

Thanks a lot!

G.X. CHEN
from Hong Kong

:D :D

Real Name
Anthony
Bless you gxchen - but asking that question here is like wandering through a lion cage with a pound of raw steak strapped to your head. :)

gxchen

Auditioning
Oh.. sorry I really have no idea that colorization is not supposed to be discussed in this board. Sorry for that...

In fact, I also prefer B&W over colorization, just that I heard from a friend that the film has been colorized that I want to see the effect of it.

Thanks for the answer anyway! :D

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member

Actually you are free to discuss all you want. But in a forum what a part of the mission is to view everything in the correct aspect ratio, don’t be surprised at adverse reactions to a preference for colorization.

And I read your preference—just still thinking about beautiful B&W in color. ;)

And welcome to the forum—we really are pretty friendly here.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
A bit of hypocrisy does show its ugly head at the Forum from time to time. While colorization is frowned upon, many insist that soundtracks which were originally in mono be converted to stereo. Oh well..... :frowning:

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
>>While colorization is frowned upon, many insist that soundtracks which were originally in mono be converted to stereo.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
[Homer Simpson mode] mono converted to stereo aaaahhhh *drool*[/Homer Simpson mode]

So the Japanese have got Longest Day in widescreen and full color eh?
[wrings hands] And there's a link too, I love the HTF!

;)

Real Name
Anthony
Sorry gxchen - hope you didn't take my comment too seriously. It could be read as a bit patronising, I guess. Anything can be discussed here, of course ; I was just jokily warning you that there are some purists hiding in the undergrowth. And when I say purists, I mean PURISTS.

I'm only semi-purist myself. ;)

GregK

Screenwriter
I am one fourth purist ..on my father's side of the family. ;)

Joking aside, wasn't "The Longest Day" shot in B&W deliberately?

GregK

Screenwriter
..Oww!! Hey you guys, my ribs are hurting from all of the poking!! :D

To fill in the blanks a little better, as most of us know "the Longest Day" was released in the early 1960s and wasn't exactly low budget. It was felt B&W would best suit a film of this nature, and thus was not the typical cost issue that was the reasoning behind not shooting in color.

...Now what about an all-color "Wizard of Oz" dammit!!! ;)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Movies were still being shot in b/w during the sixties, In Harm's Way (1965) an expensive 3 hour WWII film starring John Wayne and Kirk Douglas, directed by Otto Preminger was also filmed in b/w.

One of the main reasons I've read for filming The Longest Day in b/w was so they can integrate a lot of b/w stock footage from WWII (and save themselves a bit of money).
It had and probably still has the largest roster of stars in motion picture history.
A Bridge Too Far (1977) would give it a run for it's money when it comes to star power though.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"It had and probably still has the largest roster of stars in motion picture history."

What about Cannonball Run II? Under the Rainbow? Hook, with Phil Collins, Glenn Close, Bruce Willis, and David Crosby?

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
And don't forget Doctor Strangelove too.

What's odd is that sometimes they would take original color film and convert it to B&W. Much of the documentary footage in Victory At Sea was originally in color, but converted to B&W for the sake of (1) consistency and (2) being shown on TV before color was available. I know a lot of the famous scenes from VAS were in color because they were used in other productions where the color was maintained!

I'm all for a color version of VAS if they could insert the color segments back in the right places.

SvenS

Second Unit
While changing of MONO to Stereo or other is changing things you are not having anything taken away like you are when you butcher the OAR with the video side. I have no problems with trying to enhance a film using technology today that was not available years ago, but you are doing no enhancements when you cut of part of the picture.

An anyone who buys ANY DVD's is NOT a purists by any means because the digtal process to create DVD's "changes" the original film look/sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks