-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

The longest Day? Color version?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 of 22 gxchen

gxchen

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted April 26 2004 - 08:11 PM

Dear all,

Can any tell me if there is a color version of this movie in DVD?

So far, I can only find the color version in VHS format, while all DVD formats are black and white only.

Thanks a lot!

G.X. CHEN
from Hong Kong

Posted Image Posted Image

#2 of 22 Jeff Swearingen

Jeff Swearingen

Second Unit

• 377 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 12:02 AM

The only DVD I know of is in B/W, which is the way the film was shot and meant to bee seen.

#3 of 22 Peter Svensson

Peter Svensson

Second Unit

• 404 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 12:09 AM

There is already several threads about this movie. Read this thread and it tells you were to find The Longest Day in colour with DTS and lovely digipacking.

http://www.hometheat....hlight=longest

But if you are lazy, here it is.

http://www.cdjapan.c...l?KEY=FXBU-1021

#4 of 22 Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 12:27 AM

Why would you want it in color?

#5 of 22 Anthony Neilson

Anthony Neilson

Screenwriter

• 1,020 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted April 27 2004 - 12:40 AM

Bless you gxchen - but asking that question here is like wandering through a lion cage with a pound of raw steak strapped to your head. Posted Image
I've been going to bed early . . .

#6 of 22 gxchen

gxchen

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 02:24 AM

Oh.. sorry I really have no idea that colorization is not supposed to be discussed in this board. Sorry for that...

In fact, I also prefer B&W over colorization, just that I heard from a friend that the film has been colorized that I want to see the effect of it.

Thanks for the answer anyway! Posted Image

#7 of 22 Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 02:44 AM

Quote:
Oh.. sorry I really have no idea that colorization is not supposed to be discussed in this board. Sorry for that...

Actually you are free to discuss all you want. But in a forum what a part of the mission is to view everything in the correct aspect ratio, don’t be surprised at adverse reactions to a preference for colorization.

And I read your preference—just still thinking about beautiful B&W in color. Posted Image

And welcome to the forum—we really are pretty friendly here.
¡Time is not my master!

#8 of 22 Peter Kline

Peter Kline

Screenwriter

• 2,409 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 03:39 AM

A bit of hypocrisy does show its ugly head at the Forum from time to time. While colorization is frowned upon, many insist that soundtracks which were originally in mono be converted to stereo. Oh well..... Posted Image

#9 of 22 Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor

• 982 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 04:51 AM

>>While colorization is frowned upon, many insist that soundtracks which were originally in mono be converted to stereo.<<

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#10 of 22 Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,234 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted April 27 2004 - 05:46 AM

[Homer Simpson mode] mono converted to stereo aaaahhhh *drool*[/Homer Simpson mode]

So the Japanese have got Longest Day in widescreen and full color eh?
[wrings hands] And there's a link too, I love the HTF!

Posted Image

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#11 of 22 Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 06:16 AM

Apparently the longest day is even longer in Japan. Posted Image
¡Time is not my master!

#12 of 22 Anthony Neilson

Anthony Neilson

Screenwriter

• 1,020 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted April 27 2004 - 09:57 AM

Sorry gxchen - hope you didn't take my comment too seriously. It could be read as a bit patronising, I guess. Anything can be discussed here, of course ; I was just jokily warning you that there are some purists hiding in the undergrowth. And when I say purists, I mean PURISTS.

I'm only semi-purist myself. Posted Image
I've been going to bed early . . .

#13 of 22 GregK

GregK

Supporting Actor

• 953 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 10:01 AM

I am one fourth purist ..on my father's side of the family. Posted Image

Joking aside, wasn't "The Longest Day" shot in B&W deliberately?

#14 of 22 Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,234 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 11:40 AM

Quote:
Joking aside, wasn't "The Longest Day" shot in B&W deliberately?

As opposed to mistakenly? Posted Image

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#15 of 22 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,464 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted April 27 2004 - 11:45 AM

They used B&W stock until the 60th day of shooting, when they realized they were using the wrong stock. Blame the gaffers. Posted Image

#16 of 22 GregK

GregK

Supporting Actor

• 953 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 12:06 PM

..Oww!! Hey you guys, my ribs are hurting from all of the poking!! Posted Image

To fill in the blanks a little better, as most of us know "the Longest Day" was released in the early 1960s and wasn't exactly low budget. It was felt B&W would best suit a film of this nature, and thus was not the typical cost issue that was the reasoning behind not shooting in color.

...Now what about an all-color "Wizard of Oz" dammit!!! Posted Image

#17 of 22 Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,234 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 12:22 PM

Movies were still being shot in b/w during the sixties, In Harm's Way (1965) an expensive 3 hour WWII film starring John Wayne and Kirk Douglas, directed by Otto Preminger was also filmed in b/w.

One of the main reasons I've read for filming The Longest Day in b/w was so they can integrate a lot of b/w stock footage from WWII (and save themselves a bit of money).
It had and probably still has the largest roster of stars in motion picture history.
A Bridge Too Far (1977) would give it a run for it's money when it comes to star power though.

Lord of the Hubs

#18 of 22 Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister

Producer

• 4,148 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 12:37 PM

"It had and probably still has the largest roster of stars in motion picture history."

What about Cannonball Run II? Under the Rainbow? Hook, with Phil Collins, Glenn Close, Bruce Willis, and David Crosby?

#19 of 22 Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,677 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted April 27 2004 - 12:52 PM

And don't forget Doctor Strangelove too.

What's odd is that sometimes they would take original color film and convert it to B&W. Much of the documentary footage in Victory At Sea was originally in color, but converted to B&W for the sake of (1) consistency and (2) being shown on TV before color was available. I know a lot of the famous scenes from VAS were in color because they were used in other productions where the color was maintained!

I'm all for a color version of VAS if they could insert the color segments back in the right places.
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#20 of 22 SvenS

SvenS

Second Unit

• 257 posts

Posted April 28 2004 - 03:55 PM

Quote:
A bit of hypocrisy does show its ugly head at the Forum from time to time. While colorization is frowned upon, many insist that soundtracks which were originally in mono be converted to stereo. Oh well.....
While changing of MONO to Stereo or other is changing things you are not having anything taken away like you are when you butcher the OAR with the video side. I have no problems with trying to enhance a film using technology today that was not available years ago, but you are doing no enhancements when you cut of part of the picture.

An anyone who buys ANY DVD's is NOT a purists by any means because the digtal process to create DVD's "changes" the original film look/sound.

Forum Nav Content I Follow