-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

what is huntbar and why cant spybot or adaware get rid of it.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,037 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted April 26 2004 - 09:50 AM

adawre doesn't see it and spybot s&d cant get rid of it.
there is no huntbar.com/

so anyone know what this is and how do i remove it.
facebook.com/whotony

#2 of 15 Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight

Screenwriter

• 2,515 posts

Posted April 26 2004 - 10:53 AM

Just google "huntbar" and you'll have your answer

(here ya go)
Kyle McKnight

#3 of 15 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,037 posts

Posted April 26 2004 - 11:22 AM

i tried that.
but every link that has a removal function on the web site doesnt link to an active website.

the last thing i want to do is go into the reg to remove anything.
facebook.com/whotony

#4 of 15 John Watson

John Watson

Screenwriter

• 1,937 posts

Posted April 26 2004 - 10:14 PM

Why are so many of these "protection" programs so useless?

I think Jack Bauer should be sent to take care of Huntbar, Searchtheweb.com, etc Posted Image

#5 of 15 Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 07:30 AM

If you are using XP you may want to go to a restore point before Huntbar appeared. That's what I had to do in order to get rid the nasty that hijacked my homepage.

#6 of 15 DaveGTP

DaveGTP

Screenwriter

• 2,096 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 04:09 PM

I had luck with Spysweeper getting some stuff that Spybot and Adaware missed. If this is one of those toolbar type programs, you might also have luck this way:

Try going to Tools, Internet Options, under Temporary files go to Settings, View Objects. You'll see stuff like Quicktime, Shockwave, etc. Delete whatever you don't recognize. Some of the crappy searchbar programs install here as plug-ins. I've had luck getting rid of some plugins that way (although the files are still lurking on the PC somewhere, but at least the plugin isn't active!).
Matheson- "There are probably some who'll say that by doing this, we are interfering with their culture."

Gideon - "Probably. Screw them."
-Crusade, Visitors from Down the Street

#7 of 15 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,037 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 04:41 PM

Quote:
If you are using XP you may want to go to a restore point before Huntbar appeared. That's what I had to do in order to get rid the nasty that hijacked my homepage.
too late for that, been there awhile.
facebook.com/whotony

#8 of 15 Greg*go

Greg*go

Supporting Actor

• 941 posts

Posted April 28 2004 - 02:04 AM

Have you tried using cwshredder? If this huntbar takes over your homepage, that niffty little program should do the job. Luckily, I've never experienced this huntbar, so I have no idea what it is. The most updated version I see is here at majorgeeks.com
I certainly don't expect anyone to remember me 65 years after I die, but you wouldn't know that from the way I act.

#9 of 15 JohanD

JohanD

Stunt Coordinator

• 180 posts

Posted April 28 2004 - 08:00 AM

I recently (about a week ago) ran into this same problem.

What I ended up doing was taking the hard drive out of the infected PC, and put it as the slave drive (IE don't boot from the infected drive) on a second PC. Ran ad-aware/mcafee on the infected drive and it cleaned right up. It is very difficult to remove files that insist on being run.

Then when you boot up, the files will be gone and you will need to run ad-aware one more time to clean up the registry.

Best way to do it if you have access to another PC.

#10 of 15 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,037 posts

Posted May 25 2005 - 09:57 AM

facebook.com/whotony

#11 of 15 Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,301 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 25 2005 - 10:02 AM

I run Ad Aware, Spybot AND Microsoft's anti-spyware beta (which has a nifty feature that automatically prevents most home page hijack attempts and restores the home page to a URL you pre-set if a hijack attempt succeeds.) I find that each of them will find things the others won't.

Probably also a good idea to boot to safe mode with no networking, then stop any processes you don't recognize and finally run several anti-spyware and anit-virus scans. Also go to add remove programs and delete anything you don't want that's foolish enough to make itself accessible there.

Regards,

Joe

#12 of 15 Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,634 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted May 25 2005 - 11:16 PM

RUN AD-Aware, Spybot S&D, and Hijackthis IN SAFE MODE

I suspect that some spyware that is loaded in Normal mode can unload itself and modify the registry, etc. etc. than then simply run itself in memory until shutdown. Therefore the next time you start up, it'll repeat the process such that Hijackthis would be able to see it and remove it but next time it would return. Ad-aware/Spybot would do the same thing, it may remove the registry entry but because it was resident in memory and the actual file itself wasn't detected or couldn't be removed cause it was running, it would simply load itself again the next time you turned your PC on. I had to help a friend get something off called Neededware that was like that. I would have her remove the registry stuff (O15 trusted zone as well as a XP Service (under name NDWSERV). However, it would come back the next time. No trace that I could see in the processes (easily hidden anyway) or file that was obvious.

I had her boot up in safe mode, ran all the above and it removed it. Then I had a program called CleanUp or something like that remove every stinkin temp file in %TEMP%, any suspicious file/directory in %APPDATA% and all the LOCAL DATA in her document and settings for all registered users.

Then you can run cleanmgr and delete all your system restore points in XP and also use that to remove all temp and internet cache files...

Jay

P.S. JohanD has the right idea but obviously a little work. The most important thing is to remove the file and remove it from registry second. The registry cannot start a file that doesn't exist so the first target is to kill any processes that you can confirm as being suspicious, Be careful of things in the above directory and %WINDOWS%system32. I can't tell you how many bad files I found in there, DLLs, EXES, all suspicious!

Jay
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#13 of 15 Don Giro

Don Giro

Supporting Actor

• 814 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted May 26 2005 - 02:28 AM

Quote:
RUN AD-Aware, Spybot S&D, and Hijackthis IN SAFE MODE

Make sure you know what you're doing when you run Hijackthis!

Your best bet is to send a Hijackthis log to a site like the forums at SpywareInfo.com, and let one of their experts analyze it and show you what to remove!

I've been using the program for months now (spyware removal has developed into a new hobby for me), and I know it's WAY too easy to screw up your PC if you don't know what you're doing!
When she embraces, your heart turns to stone
She comes at night, when you're all alone
And when she whispers, your blood shall run cold
You'd better hide before she finds you...

#14 of 15 spicy14lingo

spicy14lingo

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted July 07 2009 - 08:11 AM

Delete the whole thing off your pc then get Cyberdefender and you will see it's so easy to use and it actually blocks those things from your computer!

#15 of 15 Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Screenwriter

• 2,711 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted July 11 2009 - 05:43 PM

And 4 years too late to help the OP of this thread. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif

Forum Nav Content I Follow