What's new

STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE 4/28/'04 "The Forgotten" (1 Viewer)

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
episode title: "The Forgotten"
episode number: #072
original airdate: April 28, 2004
director: LeVar Burton
screenplay: Chris Black & David A. Goodman
synopsis: "Two high-ranking Xindi offer to stop the launch of their superweapon if Archer can prove they've been manipulated. Meanwhile, the crew mourns their lost mates."

Nineteen down and five more to go till the end (, period?).

Andy_Hamric

Stunt Coordinator
I hope not! The series is really starting to find its space legs, so to speak.

I really like this Archer character who's sort of on the edge. One spot I saw advertising the remaining episodes specifically mentioned end of the "season" rather than "the end" period.

When Voyager ended I thought they should have put Star Trek to bed for a while, but I think the reinvention has done a good job of revitalizing the series.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
There is no official word regarding the future of Enterprise. The decision may or may not have been made yet and as far as the public is concerned, we will not know until they're ready to tell us.

One positive sign for Enterprise is that the people have spoken, and the results of the USA Today poll for which TV shows we'd like to see saved are in, Enterprise was on top by a lot.

The following is from trekweb. Of note is that the strong numbers that Enterprise got are speculated to have been from all the fan support to spread the word to vote via the internet. Even so, if the fans and non-fans didn't like the show, they wouldn't have given it the nod to stay, in my opinion.

For the full article, see this

Jim Dalton

Stunt Coordinator
We watch this show almost every week and enjoy it. I certainly hope it stays around and that they get rid of Berman, kick him off the set and refuse him access to the studios.

Just MHO.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Yep, this is what I watch Star Trek for. Doesn't this just excite everyone else no end.

I think I'm done for the year. I may check it out in the fall if it's back, has new creative people, and the whole Xindi thing is finished with, but I can't say I've got any interest in watching this story drag out another month.

AngelaFirefly

Auditioning
I gave up on Enterprise somewhere mid-second season. I am a HUGE Trekkie, but I was finding it a chore to sit through Enterprise. I realized I was wasting time I could spend watching shows I actually enjoyed, and stopped bothering to tape it.

Chris

Senior HTF Member

I guess I don't understand / didn't see the poll.. if one show has 70%, and another 36%, doesn't that equal 106% ??

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
You can vote for more than one show, and the options are "renew", "cancel", and "don't care". Though why you'd vote "cancel" is generally beyond me, unless it's a show you don't like holding an actor you do like hostage.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, we need this show to continue, because it sure helps flesh out all those cryptic references in TOS about a "Xindi super race" and "that confounded superweapon that nearly destroyed Earth." Never understood what Kirk, Spock, and McCoy were saying when they kept making those references for three long seasons. Man, I tell ya.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I agree I'm a Trek Fan but not an Anal one. I understand the reason TOS never mentioned the Xindi is becasue it was made 40 Freaking years ago. I have no problem that the powers that be want to do new things with a prequel I agree that they should just make them interesting. This season has been better, but it has dragged out. And I hope to god they do not drag it out any further than this season. If they are renewed I hope this Xindi stuff becomes the Catalyst for Earth realizing they need Allies and that they should start building a Fleet that puts the "Fleet" in "Starfleet".

They also can start progressing toward making alliances with the known races. The Vulcan, Andorians , Tellerites form a loose alliance (The Klingons Refuse they hate Archer !) other TOS races can be discovered and a progression toward creating a council of Federated worlds can begin.

Hopefully Also the End of the Xindi Arc can also spell the end of the entire Temporal Cold War Storyline as well.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I would take a prequel if it wasn't so damn formula. Really, that's why I guess I loved DS9 as much.. it was different and stood on it's own.

I would have thought a good prequel could have been done very differently.. hell, they could have done a prequel following Klingons, Cardassians, Bajorans, whatever instead of starting on earth :) That would have been interesting.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Not to sound like I'm the lone defender of Enterprise, but regarding the Xindi story arc dragging out so long, yes, it has been the focus of the 3rd season, but in rewatching my DS9 DVD's, the Dominion were brought in on the 3rd year if I'm not mistaken, and they were mentioned in the 2nd year with the Jem'Hadar seen on the last show of the 2nd year. They were nicely brought in slowly and mysteriously.

From what I've read, it looks like the Xindi Arc is intended to end this year, but Berman said that many months ago with some minor hints that they may be around in the 4th year. My guess based on the evidence is they wrap the Xindi up this year and we move onto the beginnings of the formation of the Federation.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Ah, but the Jem'hadar and the Dominion were interesting, and their story was told well. Which really can't be said of the Xindi storyline at all.

Of course, that was back when he just assumed he was untouchable, before Les Moonves decided to at least approach treating Enterprise like any other underperforming show.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
And the Dominion Story line came full circle and tied into the mystery of Odo's beginnings, that may have been an afterthought but a damn good one.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
The thing with the dominion story line was that it was done in such a fine manner, managing to interweave a planet's political system with starfleet directives and war/religion/faiths/etc. that it stayed intriguing. Even episodes not focused on the conflict still were set in a backdrop where things and characters had changed because of it.

I went back and watched most of the box sets lately, and the moment where Sisko plots with Garrak and has a Romulan ambassador "killed" which draws them into the war may be amongst the best trek... ever, and one of the best sci-fi TV moments as well.

DS9 had a method with story that both Voyager and Enterprise lacked. They provided you reason to care about the characters, to root for them. They allowed characters to change for good and bad (Sisko & Kai Winn are good examples) .. Voyager's biggest failing is that it became very stagnant in the way the crew dealt with things, and what you thought of them. It changed it's mind a few times, but didn't seem to forward the plot.

Enterprise still hasn't really found it's footing. I don't really see much change in the characters, just same characters, new situations.

I said this in the DS9 thread, and I mean it:

Star Trek: TNG and DS9 were good -television- as well as good trek, while I'm more a fan of DS9 then TNG, both are still watchable.

Voyager & Enterprise may be "passable" trek to the enthusiast but they are not "good TV"

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed tonight's episode. And this season is much better. Although, it is time to end the Xindi war at the end of the season and move onto the birth of the Federation.

Oh! And fire Berman. ;)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

Actually, it is what makes shows like Angel or Buffy so sweet - the focus on the characters as people. Albeit kind of comic book-like people.

And surely, tonight's episode (oops, last night - I'm having a tivo moment) was kind of shocking to me in that I found myself actually really caring about the people, especially Trip, and also TPol, and the guest enemy. I found myself caring about them in the way I care about the characters on Angel for example, which is a level deeper than I'd ever expected from Enterprise (simply because the producers of Enterprise aren't as talented). But tonight they did it. Albeit somewhat by-the-numbers, somewhat playing it safe, but in tandem with the seriously-destroyed Enterprise interiors (credit to the set decorators et al) they actually did it.

This show has hit its stride, or is darn close, and it seems to have done so as fast as Star Trek the Next Generation did. Third season's the charm, apparently. In my book, Next Generation and Enterprise are the only true series in the Star Trek legacy. Voyager and DS9, both of which took place on other ships, are just spin offs, not sequels. Which is not to say spin offs can't be good. But Next Gen and Enterprise will be fondly remembered by me as the best of the best true Trek shows.

Produly displaying my Enterprise action figures.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks