What's new

Dvd series you recommend for... (1 Viewer)

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
someone who never watched the original airing on tv. There are two shows right now that I am really interested in getting because I hear such great things about them.

Alias

and

Should I get them?

Also, what other series out there are worth getting? I love sci-fi, comedy, drama..pretty much all types of shows. I just need some recommendations cause I get a headache just looking at all those titles at the store! LOL!

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
There are a lot of shows I'd recommend to people that haven't seen them, but largely due to the costs of some of the sets I'd recommend they try and catch an episode on TV. For example, I recommended the Dick Van Dyke show to a friend of mine, but given that those sets sell for $60 each I told him to try and catch a few episodes on TV.

I myself have bought a few series blind and have enjoyed them.
24, King of Queens, What's Happening, and Sex and the City to name a few.

I hesitate to make any other recommendations, without knowing what you already have, and the reason is that someone that tells me they like commedy is not giving me as much info as the guy that tells me he owns Married with Children.

The only show I try to recommend to as many people as possible is Family Guy.

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
My dvd collection icludes:

Roswell
Freaks and Geeks
Jem and the Holograms
Little House 1,2 and 3
My So Called Life
Prisoner

I enjoy comedies like Seinfeld, That 70's Show and Drew Carey. Anything Sci-fi. Hope that helps some.

KatieB

Auditioning
Lanie- I would suggest Alias for sure. I hadn't seen it on TV either but I had been hearing great things about it. I finally broke down and bought the first season and I love it so far.
I see that you have Roswell. Did ever go beyond the first season or was it cancelled after that?
Thanks!

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm not a Sci/fi kind of person so I can't help there.

Let me ask you this, do you have some specific shows your wondering about besides Alias and 24? But here's generally what I do, I get a good buzz on a show, and then I head over to DVD Basin and search for reviews of the show I'm interested if there are already seasons out on DVD. I'll read a few for each, and if I find myself saying: "I find that interesting, I'd like to see that." then I end up buying the set. I can go by reviews because I know my own tastes well enough to know whether I might like something that a reviewer hates, or might hate something that he loves so they're not swaying my opinion so much. It seems to work pretty well for me.

Of course before I read DVD sites, I bought season 1 of Friends because I was board and wanted something to watch. It worked out pretty well for me, now that I've got all 7 seasons that are out.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
I bought "Alias" almost blind and haven't regretted it. It has fast action, appealing characters, good acting, humor, and even some romance. What more could you want?

But if you really want to know more before buying, both shows are still on the air. I hear they aren't as good this season, but why not catch an episode or two and see if you like the basic format?

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor

Don't do this for Alias. The show it is now and the show it is in Season 1 (and for that matter the show it is in Season 2) are entirely different things. PLus watching new episodes will spoil many of the joys of watching the show unfold from Season 1. Start from the very beginning.

I reccomend The West Wing to anybody who calls themselves a fan of good television. There is nothing about this show I do not love. For four years TWW was the greatest television show ever made. It's almost a bit of a miracle that this thing happened. I feel with every one of those first 90 episodes it transcended the limits of what is regarded as "TV" and became something greater than anyone could have ever imagined. It was ambitious, it was bold and it was beautiful. Do yourself a favor and pick up the 1st Season (And May 18th cannot come soon enough).

Scott_F_S

Second Unit
I never had any interest in 24, don't know why.

Bought Alias blind, and I love the hell out of it.

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
I enjoyed Crime Story: Season One, a cop story originally aired in 1986, with Dennis Farina as Lt. Mike Torello fighting organized crime in Chicago in the 1960's.

The theme song was a revised version of Runaway by Del Shannon, with lyrics changed to refer to crime.

The main mobsters later moved to Las Vegas, and Torello followed them, intent on getting Ray Luca, played by Anthony Denison.

The show folded after the second season. I'm hoping season one sold enough for them to release season two on DVD.

MaraKM

Stunt Coordinator

KatieB Roswell ran for 3 seasons. The season 2 dvd is scheduled for sometime this summer, and presumably season 3 will come out this fall, or winter 2005.

Lanie I don't think you can go wrong with Alias as a blind buy. Season 1 & 2 were terrific. Season 3 has been pretty disappointing for most of the year, but it seems like they've finally gotten back on track in these last few episodes (only 2 more left of the season). But as disappointed as I've been with some of the writers' choices this season, it doesn't detract from the wonderful rollercoaster of season 1 & 2.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I have loved all 3 seasons of Alias
I have loved the first 2 seasons of 24, 3rd is bit of a letdown, but still better than a lot of scripted dramas.
I'd also recommend: Farscape, Family Guy, Futurama, Freaks and Geeks, Angel, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Stargate SG-1.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Lanie, I gotta recommend a little show called Sports Night. Whatever price you get it for is a steal. The complete series (2 full seasons worth of episodes) is available from Buena Vista Home Entertainment.

This was the amazingly well-written Aaron Sorkin series that he had created just prior to creating The West Wing. And if you don't like sports, it doesn't matter. While a love of sports will heighten your love of show, it's not about sports -- it's about the lives of people who work on live TV.

Amazing dialogue, characters, relationships with lots of thought-provoking, tear-jerking & hilarious moments.

I was also going to give Freaks & Geeks my highest recommendation, but I see you have it. ;)

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
Dane ~ Someone else recommended Sports Night to me. I never heard of it until then. Maybe I will check that one out. Thanks.

As for Family Guy... another one I haven't heard of. I will need to do some research on this one.

THanks for all of your suggestions. There are many shows I am eager to try out.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I also agree with Kevin P. on the subject of The West Wing. The first two seasons especially belong among the top seasons of ANY SHOW EVER. This is probably the hardest show on television to write, so it's sad that Sorkin left after season 4.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Alias was a blind buy for me and, like Scott_F_S, I just loved the hell out of it.
i was so jazzed after the finishing the first season i just ripped thru the second in a matter of a couple days.
when it was over and there weren't any fresh ones to watch , it was like suffering from the bends.
i needed to decompress.

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
Ugh! This is getting so hard to choose. I have some funds to get a few sets. I have already decided on Alias S1 for sure. I found it for $20 at a used bookstore/movie house. I am also trying to decide if I should get Will and Grace S1 or try out a new show all together.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Aside from Family Guy which I recommended earlier, and agree with what Bryan said, I'll put in another vote for Sports Night. That's a heck of a show and you'll only have to buy 1 set to have the whole series. The thing I really like about Sports Night, is that a knowledge or love for Sports is not a requirement to enjoy this show, Sports is really in the background, and I say this as a huge Sports Fan.

We'll all hope you try out something new so you can give us your reaction to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks