Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Suggestion for DVD release: No Time for Seargents

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   BryanV

BryanV

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted April 25 2004 - 09:31 PM

From a book to Tony nominated play to one of my favorite films, No Time for Sergeants needs a DVD release. Any one who is a fan of the Andy Griffith show should see this film gem of the late 50's(actually, even if you don't like the Andy Griffith show you should still see it). If you are familiar at all with Andy's early comic routines that were seen on variety shows then you will be familiar with this character. Andy plays Will Stockdale who is dragged off his "Tobacco Road" country shack and into the US Army. Will develops a "Mice and Men" relationship with another private and they begin to cause all kinds of problems for their Sergent. It is fairly obvious that this story was the inspiration for Gomer Pyle USMC so if you like that show this one is for you too. One thing that makes this really enjoyable is how Andy breaks the fourth wall a lot and conversates with the audience, really gives the movie a more stage like feel. This play is where I believe Don Knotts and Andy met and Don has a scene stealing part in the picture that has to be one of his funniest bits.

Back when AMC was good they showed a teleplay version of this that would make an awesome extra. It would be great to get some interviews on this as well for, at least, a short feature.

I guess I can not guarantee financial returns on this but, you got one buyer.

(i have the VHS copy)

thnx everyone for reading.

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   FrankXS

FrankXS

Stunt Coordinator

• 223 posts

Posted April 25 2004 - 09:40 PM

Great film. No Time For Sergeants was well received in the 1950's. I understand Andy Griffith's A Face in the Crowd is supposed to come out soon from Warner. If it sells well, maybe "Sergeants" will follow. Warner has so many great titles that it will keep them busy for years, but having George Feltenstein at the anchor can almost guarantee that any worthwhile title will get to DVD.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Randy_M

Randy_M

Supporting Actor

• 679 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ

Posted April 25 2004 - 10:51 PM

I've been screaming about this one for years...it's hilarious all the way through. Until the DVD comes out, I'll treasure my VHS copy.
My DVDs

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   JasenP

JasenP

Screenwriter

• 1,286 posts

Posted April 25 2004 - 11:38 PM

I would pick this up in a heartbeat, please include the original television broadcast version as a bonus!
You know, Fred, if you keep your sense of humor like you do, you just might make it.

The Archive

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,480 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted April 26 2004 - 01:23 AM

A DVD edition of this film would be fantastic.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Joe Bernardi

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor

• 760 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 26 2004 - 09:17 AM

I remember when Will Stockdale (Andy Griffith) had to fill out a form, with the shouted instructions, "Last name first, first name, middle name last," and he followed it literally, writing:

Stockdale Will Will [middle (I forgot it)] Stockdale