-

Photo
- - - - -

Is it possible to connect a HTPC to television via firewire?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Dave Dahl

Dave Dahl

Stunt Coordinator

• 139 posts

Posted April 25 2004 - 02:51 PM

Hi all,

I am curious if it is possible to construct a simple home theater pc and connect it to my Mits Diamond 65813 via a firewire cable.

I would think that it is yet I have not, after much searching, been able to find any information pro or con.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Dave

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Wayde_R

Wayde_R

Stunt Coordinator

• 244 posts

Posted April 26 2004 - 10:11 AM

All I can offer is that I've heard firewire only has the bandwidth for a resolution of 480P, no more. Which is probably fine if you're just wanting to play DVDs.

I've heard there are soundcards out there with DVI outputs.
Happy Halloween!

Wayde Robson

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   BeatCrazy

BeatCrazy

Stunt Coordinator

• 129 posts

Posted April 26 2004 - 11:55 AM

Firewire can support 1080i easily.

Your PC may not talk to your TV unless it has HAVi or other interface that the TV can recognize. The connection may be right, but the "language" might be all wrong.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Sean Moon

Sean Moon

Screenwriter

• 2,045 posts

Posted April 26 2004 - 02:34 PM

Oh firewire would have the capacity for 1080i, no problem at all. If an HD broadcast usually is about 20-25MB per second, and firewire transmits 400MB per second, I would say it has more than enough space to send the signal.

However, is the computer sending compatable info down that wide pipeline?
http://doctordoom.blogspot.com

We must stand in awe of the infinite capacity of the human mind to reject the introduction of useful knowledge.

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Wayde_R

Wayde_R

Stunt Coordinator

• 244 posts

Posted April 26 2004 - 11:49 PM

Sorry I was confused about what I said about Firewire.

This is what I actually read somewhere:

"FireWire...can carry onlycompressed digital signals, such as the original MPEG video steam from a DTV broadcast, whereas DVI carries noncompressed digital RGB. An important item to check is whether a set's DVI input is HDCP-compliant." -Micheal Riggs, Sound & Vision.

So, is firewire HDCP compliant? I didn't know there were DVI ports that weren't.

Sam, I haven't heard of this HAVi, I'll have to do some reading on it. But is this the hurdle that using a PC video utility like "powerstrip" helps to overcome?

I am also interested in the results of video upon an HDTV. Maybe my questions should go into another thread, I don't mean to hijack this one.
Happy Halloween!

Wayde Robson

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   BeatCrazy

BeatCrazy

Stunt Coordinator

• 129 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 12:34 AM

Wayde_R,

Although I'm not 100% familiar with the PC software you mentioned, I don't believe it has HAVi capability. From www.mitsubishi-tv.com

Quote:
Mitsubishi firmly believes that the new home network will evolve to include not only audio/video products, but also computers, lighting, energy management, security, and more. These systems will all be connected to the IEEE 1394 network and controlled via HAVi......

Dave, if you really want to to an HTPC, IMO, you should just buy a video card with DVI output, and connect to your 65813 in that manner.

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter

• 1,420 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 01:13 AM

1394 firewire can be much faster than what's been stated here.
http://www.1394ta.or....k.htm#How_fast
Even at the lowest spec there is plenty of bandwidth for HD 1080i
I record Full HD from my Samsung SIR-t165 units to my Windows XP box in full HD glory with a program called CapDVHS.
Record HDTV in WinXP, without FireBus, Now!

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Sean Moon

Sean Moon

Screenwriter

• 2,045 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 07:08 AM

I didnt mention the Firewire 800 that many new MACs are having now, as it is still pretty new and not as widespread as normal Firewire 400
http://doctordoom.blogspot.com

We must stand in awe of the infinite capacity of the human mind to reject the introduction of useful knowledge.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Ramon A

Ramon A

Agent

• 48 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 10:38 AM

if you are interested in hptc you should go to the computer area they might have more info.
if you search yahoo htpc search you will find many sites that will assist you as well as how to build from scratch an htpc for $1000-1500 that will do everything you ever wanted and more with a case that looks more like an av receiver than a pc