Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

dvi versus s-video improvements

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Kevin T

Kevin T

Screenwriter

• 1,407 posts

Posted April 22 2004 - 01:55 AM

hello...i will be receiving a dvi to hdmi cable in the mail by friday and would like to know what kind of improvements to expect on dvd's versus the s-video cable i have now. i will be connecting a denon dvd-5900 to a sony vpl-hs3 lcd projector. will the improvements be dramatic or subtle. any info or experiences you can share would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

kevin t
religion is the opiate of the masses

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted April 22 2004 - 03:46 AM

I'm connecting my computer to component via DVI and that was a huge improvement over SVHS. HUGE.

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Mark:F

Mark:F

Stunt Coordinator

• 169 posts

Posted April 22 2004 - 09:35 AM

With my 34"XBR910 and Denon 1815, DVI kills both svid and component. Kills.

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   NickSo

NickSo

Producer

• 4,274 posts

Posted April 22 2004 - 10:44 AM

Yesh, its a huge leap from Svideo to DVI. You'll definitely see an improvement

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   ChongLM

ChongLM

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted April 23 2004 - 01:52 AM

Anyone know is there such a cable that connects to the DVI output at the graphics card side and Component input at the TV side?

I'm trying to get the best image quality from my PC to the widescreen 36" TV.

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted April 23 2004 - 02:21 AM

ATI has a DVI HDTV adapter that does that thing. Haven't tried it with other than ATI cards so don't know if it works with other DVI outputs.

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Jonty Rees

Jonty Rees

Stunt Coordinator

• 81 posts

Posted April 25 2004 - 03:27 PM

I have no input on input for you, but I'd really appreciate some feedback on the HS3. I have another thread here somewhere asking about this unit. My local store has them on sale today and tomorrow for $997, and I'm tempted. Can you give me a quick pro and con review? I have no prior experience with projectors or RPTVs. I would only be using it for watching movies - the whole appeal of a projector is that it would allow me to keep my entertainment-center-bound 35" tv for normal cable TV watching, with a screen that would pull down in front.

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   RonaldS

RonaldS

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted April 30 2004 - 04:11 PM

Regarding "34XBR910 and Denon 1815, DVI kills both svid and component. Kills."

I have a 34XBR910 and am trying to decide what kind of DVD Player to get. I thought that getting a DVD Player with DVI output direct into the DVI input in the 34XBR910 was the way to go, but a lot of comments seem to say that there should be no difference between component and DVI input because the 34XBR910 is a direct view CRT and that the DVI input would make a difference only with fixed pixel displays like plasma. Can you help me sort out my confusion?

Mark:F - Are you using a DVD player to input into your 34XBR910 DVI input or some other source?

Thanks so much.

Posted Image

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Mark:F

Mark:F

Stunt Coordinator

• 169 posts

Posted April 30 2004 - 11:38 PM

RonaldS - I connect HDTV via DVI and the Denon with component....I could only compare DVI vs component for HDTV and the DVI was far superior....I think most folks in this forum are down on DVD players with DVI output...build quality issues...search for threads in the audio/video sources forum.

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   SethH

SethH

Screenwriter

• 2,867 posts

Posted May 01 2004 - 01:33 AM

Perhaps I'm incorrect, but I was under the impression that DVI/HDMI only provided benefits over component when using a digital display. The reason being that using any other current type of interconnect requires D/A conversion and using DVI allows the info to stay all digital. If you're using a direct view set you're going to have to do the conversion anyway so you're losing the benefit.

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   NickSo

NickSo

Producer

• 4,274 posts

Posted May 01 2004 - 05:11 AM

With a DirectView set, rather than going Digital (source) -> Analog (Component) -> Digital (HD) -> Analog (CRT), you're just going Digital (source) -> Analog (CRT)

Not totally sure, but thats the way i saw it.