What's new

Hitachi LCD Projection TV question (1 Viewer)

ToddJ

Second Unit
I recently bought a 50" Hitachi LCD projection TV. When watching normal 4:3 television, it has grey bars to the side. Under the Video menu, you can change the colors of the grey bars to black, which I do. However, when I turn off the TV and turn it back on, they turn back to grey. I bought the TV used, so i don't know if this is the right way or not. I would think the TV would be able to 'remember' to stay black (it if it resets to grey because of burn in issues, it wouldn't make any sense since LCDs aren't supposed to burn in.) Does anyone else have this problem?

Danny Beck

Stunt Coordinator
I've actually wondered the same thing about this model. I don't own it but I was recently checking it out at a store and I noticed this option in it's menus.

It's really got me thinking that maybe burn-in is possible in some way on an LCD. I think the burn-in is very difficult to do but it is possible and therefore they put these features in there just in case. It does make you wonder why so many people claim that LCDs cannot burn-in. Because if that was the case why would Hitachi even bother with these features?

Also note that many manufacturers when talking or giving info about LCD tvs will say something like "almost no chance of burn-in" or "almost illiminates the chance of burn-in". That type of wording tells me that it is possible but it would take an extreme case of negligence to cause it to happen. I'm guessing something like leaving a tv on a certain image for a day or so. Thats just a guess though.

Dan

Bruce Yates

Auditioning
From various boards that I visit and my own personal experience the change in side bar color is kept until the TV is shut off and cannot be permanetly set.The owners manual does acknowledge burn in potential,and the TV has built in features to repair/prevent it,such as screen wipe and pixel shift in addition to side bar color.I believe,based on the TV's manual,that"picture remain"(Hitachi term)is a very possible,but they also imply that it can be repaired/removed at the consumer level.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks