Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Sony to buy out MGM?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
41 replies to this topic

#1 of 42 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,874 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted April 21 2004 - 10:05 AM

Here's a news flash:

http://biz.yahoo.com...edia_mgm_6.html

According to the article, Sony along with two partners is trying to buy out MGM for reasons inter alia to get their hands on the Bond films.

MGM has been releasing more and better DVDs lately, while Sony/Columbia-Tristar has been going in the opposite direction. I wonder what the fallout will be if this goes through.
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#2 of 42 OFFLINE   Magnus T

Magnus T

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted April 21 2004 - 10:10 AM

Agreed about the DVD releases. However! Maybe this means some great classics will get the restoration they deserve before the negatives becomes unusable.
There is no spoon...
but there is a fork with a cork!

#3 of 42 OFFLINE   MichaelSloan

MichaelSloan

Stunt Coordinator

• 111 posts

Posted April 21 2004 - 02:40 PM

I hope sony doesn't buy MGM. Warner makes so much better dvd of MGM movies then sony has made dvds of their own movies.
Do you wanna know what the most annoying sound in the world is? The voice of the person who first asked that question.

Decode this for good news: R2 06 or 05 c:gb n:he dn:gh f:wrh

"Paramount, unlock the godamn vault!!!"

-Lily Sloan    2063

#4 of 42 ONLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,309 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted April 23 2004 - 07:43 AM

from today's IMDb news brief:

Add Time Warner To List of Potential Suitors for MGM
A day after reports appeared indicating that Sony was in talks with MGM about buying the legendary film studio, the New York Post reported today (Friday) that Time Warner has had similar talks with MGM and could team with buyout firm Thomas H. Lee Partners in making its own bid. The Post, citing unnamed sources, observed that it was not clear how serious Time Warner's interest is in pursuing MGM.
--
Please let it be TW and not Sony.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#5 of 42 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted April 23 2004 - 08:51 AM

I'd much rather have Warner than Sony. Warner already releases many MGM titles and treat them with the proper respect. Sony's DVD strategy seems to be to release 5 versions of each film.
"Here's looking at you, kid."

#6 of 42 OFFLINE   Stephen Brooks

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit

• 356 posts
  • LocationBrownsburg, IN

Posted April 23 2004 - 10:08 AM

If Warner bought MGM's library, they'd own the original Terminator, as well as T3. One step closer to an eventual boxset of the series.......
IMPERIAL OFFICER: Lord Vader, I can't find the Central Navigational Network!

VADER (points to control panel): This......is CNN.

#7 of 42 OFFLINE   streeter

streeter

Screenwriter

• 1,391 posts

Posted April 23 2004 - 10:26 AM

Good news about Warner.

That would also bode well for MGM restorations.
Nothing Lost Forever: The Films of Tom Schiller
"I'll tell you why... 'cause I'm a dancer."

home page / dvds

#8 of 42 OFFLINE   Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted April 23 2004 - 11:13 AM

Hands off Sony!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#9 of 42 OFFLINE   AlanBrom

AlanBrom

Second Unit

• 405 posts

Posted April 23 2004 - 11:16 AM

This could be the end to the Midnite Movies series! :-(

#10 of 42 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,477 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted April 23 2004 - 11:23 AM

I'd rather see someone like DreamWorks buy MGM.

While Warner would probably do a great job with the library... they already have a huge library to take care of.

#11 of 42 OFFLINE   Joe_Pinney

Joe_Pinney

Stunt Coordinator

• 183 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted April 23 2004 - 12:23 PM

The interesting irony is that should Sony actually buy out MGM, it would mean MGM could, theoretically, "come home again", since Sony Pictures is located on the classic old MGM lot in Culver City, CA.

If it did happen, hopefully the MGM DVD department's people would end up running the show for Columbia/Tri-Star as well, and we might all benefit from that.

But, of course, we'll see how this comes to pass.

#12 of 42 OFFLINE   JeremySt

JeremySt

Screenwriter

• 1,775 posts

Posted April 23 2004 - 01:35 PM

While Warner would probably do a great job with the library... they already have a huge library to take care of.

And they're doing a damn good job, so why not do the same with the entire MGM library?

#13 of 42 OFFLINE   John Kilduff

John Kilduff

Screenwriter

• 1,668 posts

Posted April 23 2004 - 02:14 PM

If anybody from Time Warner is reading these forums, or this page in particular...

Please buy MGM. You've done a great job with the Turner-owned MGM titles...Just think what you could do now.

Imagine the possibilities:

-A "Terminator" box set
-A DVD release of "Bugs Bunny Superstar"
-Special Editions of "Moonstruck" and "Spaceballs"
-The reunion of MGM and Warner's Castle Rock titles
-The Midnite Movies line could continue unabated if that news about the uncut "Eyes Wide Shut" pans out.

Sony's been a botch in Hollywood ever since the days of Guber-Peters at Columbia and TriStar. Time Warner, you rock already, but if you could buy MGM, you would be the top.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Don't let Sony get MGM!
Forget the Rewind. If you want real retro action, go to http://www.retrojunk.com.

Proud member of the American Film Institute and a Wal-Mart employee (Yes, you can be both).

From Michelle Pfeiffer to Daryl Hannah and all points in-between, I love 80s women. Don't believe me? Scope out this link: htt.....

#14 of 42 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted April 23 2004 - 03:00 PM

What does Blade Runner have to do with MGM?
"Here's looking at you, kid."

#15 of 42 OFFLINE   John Kilduff

John Kilduff

Screenwriter

• 1,668 posts

Posted April 23 2004 - 03:04 PM

Nelson Entertainment, who distributed a version of "Blade Runner" on VHS and laserdisc...

Most of their properties are owned by MGM. I assume that "Blade Runner", in one of its' many incarnations, is partially owned by MGM. I could be wrong, though...Maybe it's a StudioCanal thing.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

My point remains: Warner is the better company to buy MGM.
Forget the Rewind. If you want real retro action, go to http://www.retrojunk.com.

Proud member of the American Film Institute and a Wal-Mart employee (Yes, you can be both).

From Michelle Pfeiffer to Daryl Hannah and all points in-between, I love 80s women. Don't believe me? Scope out this link: htt.....

#16 of 42 ONLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,075 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted April 24 2004 - 04:12 AM

I think it is a Studio Canal thing, though I still say that Warner would be the better choice to buy out MGM. The reunification of the MGM library would be the best thing to happen in video since the reunification of the Warner library.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#17 of 42 OFFLINE   Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor

• 926 posts

Posted April 24 2004 - 04:17 AM

Please, no Sony! These multiple releases of a film is ridiculous.

#18 of 42 OFFLINE   Rolando

Rolando

Screenwriter

• 1,319 posts

Posted April 24 2004 - 06:10 AM

WOW, just made me realize how much Sony has fallen from grace.

I mean they have have cool stuff, Good movies, great DVDs but lately they don't seem to be anywhere near the favorite.

They were among the first DVD supporters. renowned from some good quality stuff. I CANNOT think of a single DVD of theirs that was widescreen and NOT anamorphic. It was all great.

Then they got money hungry. I mean it's a business. were it not for the prospect of profit no studio would release anything at all. I know that. this is a GOOD thing.

But I think the general consensus is Sony (Colombia/Tri-Star) has gone a little too far. I personally don't mind re-releases with improvements. 2 more Terminator 2 and 4 more Halloween DVDs can be released and I would love it. I buy what I like and not buy if the upgrade is not justified. Simple. people seem to forget no one is forcing them at gun point to buy the re-release. If you have a psychological issue that does not allow you to sleep knowing there is a re-issue you do not own then that is another problem all-together.

However company image counts for a lot and Sony's seems to be taking a bad kick right now. Most people feel they PURPOSELY plan multiple releases sometimes even "crippling" initial edition to "improve" picture in future editions. they seem to withhold extras to put it on a future release to make sure there are as many re-purchases as possible.

now whether this is true or not is irrelevent because the result is the same. people have lost trust and are actually beginning to feel resentment and even contempt towards the studio.

SONY, do something about it.

personally am more upset at the P&S only releases I deem UNACCEPTABLE this far in the game.

Just sharing my 2 cents (more like a long winded dollar and change but...)
Rolando Avendano

My Collection

#19 of 42 OFFLINE   Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted April 24 2004 - 08:22 AM

John Kilduff wrote (post #15):

Quote:
Most of their properties are owned by MGM. I assume that "Blade Runner", in one of its' many incarnations, is partially owned by MGM. I could be wrong, though... Maybe it's a StudioCanal thing.

MGM has never had anything to do with Blade Runner ownership (or distribution either, as far as I can tell).

"Delenda est . . . . "

#20 of 42 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,477 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted April 24 2004 - 08:42 AM

By the way...

I was thinking... I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Warner DID end up buying MGM for one reason:

The rights for "The Hobbit."