What's new

So, what do you feed your dog/cat? (1 Viewer)

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Are you a "dog food is dog food" person, or a "nothing but the best for my pet" person. I guess I would have to put myself in more of the "nothing but the best" group. While I don't cook up all natural meals for my pup, I do tend to look for the best 'commercial' brand out there. My wife is in charge of the cat and pretty much feels the same way. Our cat Bonkers tends to throw up after eating, or whenever she feels like it. Never hairballs, just food. The vets checked her out and said only that she has a sensitive stomach and try different brands until we find that she doesn't puke up. Well, nothing worked and my wife decided that instead of switching every 6 months or so, to just stick with one and that was Pro Plan with Salmon, which she still throws up (the cat, not my wife ;) ). Well, I recently heard of a brand that was suppose to work wonders with cats and dogs (especially cats with sensitive stomachs). The dog version is Canidae and the cat version is Felinedae . I decided to try it for both our cat and dog and so far so good. No cat throw up yet and she seems to like it better. I have a feeling the dog would eat anything, but he's doing well also. Good energy, healthy coat and eyes. Here's a link .

So, what do you fellow HTF's feed your pets?

Edited for bad spelling, grammar & animal rights

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler

You may just be able to edit that last line before Mr. Briggs sees it. :)

ALi (cat), likes the blend I make for him. A combination of:

Science Diet Oral Care (Very high fiber/thus the blend)
Iams (Orange)
&
+coughs+
a small amount of
Chef's Blend

I had to feed him this in a pinch, and the guy loves the stuff. My vet says a small amount is harmless.
Ali can't stand Felindae, I don't like the smell either. Kind of a cardboard smell.

I follow the vet's instructions to the letter. Measured amounts of food in the A.M and when I come home. Ali is trim, lean and very muscular. Vets are not fans of filling the bowl.
This may be different with an outdoor pet. I'd talk with your vet, rather than this crackpot squad :)

StephenA

Screenwriter
I leave dry dog food out for my dogs and cats all the time. The dry food is usually Kibbles N Bits or Chunks for the dogs and Meow Mix for the cats. The cats get a can of wet 9 Lives cat food a day, which is split between the 3 of them in the morning. The dogs don't get wet dog food. The dogs and sometimes cats will often get table scraps/leftovers too. None of them are overweight so the vet said it's ok and to just make sure the people food is not in excess and to monitor their weight. Since my dogs run in the back yard all day and the cats have the whole house and cellar, they get plenty of exercise.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Our male cat suffered from a urinary blockage problem after being fixed, so our vet recommended a low-ash diet. Since both kitties eat the same food, our female also gets this diet. We usually buy either Iams or Mother Hubbard -- neither cat cares for the Science Diet.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Purina for our 2 dogs. A friend of mine worked for them and did their testing along with the other brands that are out there. There's was definitely the healthiest.

My dogs won't even touch the cheapstuff like Old Roy.

aaron campbell

Second Unit
Scott, Our 3yr. old fixed male cat is going through urinary problems. He had crystals in his bladder, which they put a catheter in for 48hrs to flush him out. Had to take him to the emergency vet Sunday, then our vet Monday morning. I'm picking him up tonight. What food did your vet suggest for your cat?

Thanks

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Purina Puppy Chow for my 10 month old puppy. BTW, does anyone know at what age you stop feeding your puppy puppy food?

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Iams Adult (with hairball care) for my cats. They seem to enjoy it, and it DOES seem to cut down on nasty soggy surprises. ;)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Well, as a pet food store employee, I can't really comment too much here about the specific brands of food you guys are feeding.

Suffice it to say, some of you are choosing excellent foods (like the thread starter); many of you are feeding your pets crap. :eek:

Much of the problem, sadly, lies with vets, many of whom get very little training on actual nutrition and, even worse, many of whom will simply try to sell you what is on their own shelves, much of which is also crap. Let me be clear, this is not ALL vets, but sadly too many.

There is also an old myth that you should feed your pets dry food only. This is ridiculous and goes against nature. All animals require moisture in their diets to function properly. If you doubt it, try eating completely dry foods and drinking only water for a week and see how you feel.

I don't want to sound judgmental here. Before I knew better, my kitties were eating crap as well--recommended by the vet. No wonder they could never figure out why Velcro barfed each and every day of his life and once got so bloated I was afraid for his life. That doesn't happen now. :)

If anyone is interested in some free advice regarding pet foods (and again, I don't work for any specific pet food company and get nothing in return), please feel free to email me.

I would also encourage you to read the ingredients and do your own research (your animal companions are worth it).

One of the common mistakes in reading ingredients is to confuse "byproducts" and "meal". Not the same thing at all. Byproducts are the parts of the animal you wouldn't be caught dead eating, sometimes including parts that no animal should or would ever eat in nature. Meal simply means "dehydrated." For example, if you see Chicken Meal as the first ingredient, this is a good thing, as they are weighing the chicken without the water content and it truly is the most abundant ingredient. Chicken Byproducts, on the other hand, might be hearts and lungs or it might be intestines, beaks and feet--there's no way to know.

Some of the most trusted brands of pet food are some of the worst. It's all marketing and advertising.

Now then, what do I feed my animal companions?

Velcro and Eddie (the cats):

Morning: Half of a 5.5oz can of Wellness or Eagle Pack cat food, One two-ounce shotglass of Wellness kibble. This is shared between them.

Evening: Remaining half can of food from the morning (kept covered in the fridge). Stirred into that goes two heaping teaspoons of ground up kibble (either Back to Basics or Felidae), two tablets of Veternarian's Best Cat Lube (a natural hairball and digestive aid), 1/2 teaspoon of Missing Link for cats and just a teeny bit of warm water to help it mix nicely. The mixture is then nuked for about 15 seconds to take the chill off. Again, this is shared.

Trust me, there is method to my madness. If you really want to know, feel free to ask.

Red (the dog, who it looks like will finally be home with me in about a week):

Will be going on the raw diet. For more information on this, check out www.barfdiet.com or www.intherawpetfood.com or just Google for "barf diet" (It stands for Biologically Appropriate Raw Food or Bones And Raw Food--and, yes, it's a terrible acronym, I know).

(And yes, I did try to get the cats on raw, but they are stubbon little buggers and wouldn't go near it. :frowning: )

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
I feed my dogs Science Diet Adult dry (Lamb and rice or Beef) and usually mix in some of the Science Diet wet (Chicken, Beef or Turkey).

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
:eek:

Let me just reiterate: I welcome emails on this subject from anyone.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
The last thread on this got ugly, you could probly dig it up, I'm sure some info could be salvaged.
personally I feed purina pro plan, it's cheap, and available at the petsmart 1 mile from my place.
I also leave food out 24/7
Usually she eats when I do, I've never been a "feed my dog 3 cups once a day" kind of person, she eats what she wants and knows the rest will still be there later.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Buttercup, who's just over a year old, eats whatever cat food happens to be on sale. Hell, I eat whatever human food happens to be cheap so why should she be any different:b

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Phillip - I switched both of my dogs (one previously on Nutro Lamb and Rice and the other on Prescription Diet C/D) to Canidae about a year and a half ago. They are both doing spectacular on the diet and are heathier than ever.

Jordan (the male on C/D) has more energy and a much silkier/smoother coat than before. And Emily (previously on Nutro) also has a better coat.

Canidae is considered one of the best of the "super-premium" dog foods and Felidae is the same for cats. You made the right decision, in my opinion.

-greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks