Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Popular films that didn't get a follow-up...but should have.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 of 89 OFFLINE   Robert Floto

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted April 21 2004 - 05:10 AM

I'm not talking about how great it would be to have a sequel to something like The Rocketeer (which I would absolutely love to have), but rather a follow up to films that actually did some decent boxoffice but only stayed at one story.

Not specifically "sequels", but at least a continuation of characters that we'd like to see again. Like how the James Bond films are separate adventures with the same core characters.

I would love to see follow up films to Galaxy Quest, Executive Decision, and especially Silverado.

I know that Lawrence Kasdan had ideas for a Silverado sequel initially, but decided against it...and that is his perogative. However, I loved those characters and would really have enjoyed seeing another adventure with them.

Galaxy Quest is still recent enough for me to hope there will be a follow up. I suppose a direct "sequel" is possible, but either way I would like to see more of those characters. The same goes for Executive Decision. Kurt Russell's brains over brawn hero teamed up with commandos (after their high profile, karate-chopping leader bites it early at the beginning of the film). I want to see more!

What are some other films that were reasonably popular, and should have had more...but stopped at just one? Perhaps for the better, perhaps for the worse?

Anyone?
Movies I would purchase instantly if they were available in their correct aspect ratio:
Death Trap, Innocent Blood, The Shadow, and Remo Williams

#2 of 89 OFFLINE   Jose Martinez

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,113 posts

Posted April 21 2004 - 06:08 AM

Unbreakable.
Live Free or DIE!!!!!

#3 of 89 OFFLINE   DougFND

DougFND

Second Unit

• 250 posts

Posted April 21 2004 - 07:08 AM

Don't flame me for this, it wasn't my idea. Posted Image

My wife always wanted to see a follow up to "Titanic" that told Rose's story. Personally, I was satisfied with the what she told told about it in "Titanic".

#4 of 89 OFFLINE   Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts

Posted April 21 2004 - 08:03 AM

True Lies One of my all time favorites of Arnold's and while a sequel was planned it got put off, then shelved after 9-11. Posted Image

And this is a whole other thread, I still would like to see a sequel to Godzilla (98).

#5 of 89 OFFLINE   Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts

Posted April 21 2004 - 10:14 AM

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

#6 of 89 OFFLINE   Robert Floto

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted April 21 2004 - 10:20 AM

Those character WERE continued (badly) in the short-lived television series.
Movies I would purchase instantly if they were available in their correct aspect ratio:
Death Trap, Innocent Blood, The Shadow, and Remo Williams

#7 of 89 OFFLINE   Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts

Posted April 21 2004 - 11:05 AM

Which also starred Jennifer Aniston. You can watch an episode of it on TVland the day of the Friend's finale.

#8 of 89 OFFLINE   Asim

Asim

Stunt Coordinator

• 78 posts

Posted April 22 2004 - 07:29 AM

wow, i never knew such a show existed.

#9 of 89 OFFLINE   Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted April 22 2004 - 10:56 AM

I didnt know they had thought of a sequel for Silverado. That would have been very cool. I always thought that Innerspace deserved a follow up not only because it was good but because they left it open for a sequel. The first Godzilla was so bad I cant see another one being made. It stunk!

#10 of 89 OFFLINE   Pete-D

Pete-D

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted April 23 2004 - 05:32 AM

I'm surprised Cliffhanger (1993) didn't get a sequel because that was a pretty big hit for Stallone and did quite well. The Goonies (1985) as well, although I hear they are prepping a sequel now. I wonder if there's any chance they'd do a sequel to Sleepy Hollow (1999)? The first was fairly successful it seemed. All three films were in genres where you'd expect sequels as well (action, adventure, horror).

#11 of 89 OFFLINE   Richard_D_Ramirez

Richard_D_Ramirez

Second Unit

• 439 posts

Posted April 23 2004 - 06:10 AM

Big Trouble in Little China: More Jack Burton!

Forrest Gump: It would be interesting to see the further adventures of Forrest and his son.

Leon: The Professional: Natalie Portman is currently at the perfect age to do a sequel.

8^B
A Casualty of Casual Causality: My casual blog on the 'net.

#12 of 89 OFFLINE   michael deakin

michael deakin

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts
  • LocationWarrington

Posted April 23 2004 - 09:29 AM

I too would like to see a sequel to Sleepy Hollow, Maybe they could call it Ichabod. It could involve a werewolf or vampire story set in the city. mike.

#13 of 89 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted April 23 2004 - 09:53 AM

Shoot To Kill - This came to mind as I just bought the DVD and it's a terrific movie.

I absolutely second Big Trouble in Little China as you can never get enough Jack (I was BORN ready!) Burton.
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#14 of 89 OFFLINE   Justin Bauer

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted April 23 2004 - 12:22 PM

As long as it would not be based on Gump & Co. That book was some of the worst garbage I have ever read.
We're Texas.

#15 of 89 OFFLINE   todd stone

todd stone

Screenwriter

• 1,768 posts

Posted April 23 2004 - 01:05 PM

big trouble in little china 2 !!!! "return of the porkchop express"
Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers, Lo, there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning, Lo, they do call to me, they bid me take my place among them, In the halls of Valhalla,where the brave may live...

#16 of 89 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,993 posts

Posted April 23 2004 - 04:22 PM

I heard they might do a sequel to Ferris Bueller's Day Off. It would be the characters today and them dealing with their kids. I think Ferris & his girlfriend(Mia Sara) would be married.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#17 of 89 OFFLINE   David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter

• 1,435 posts

Posted April 24 2004 - 02:18 PM

They tried to get a sequel together for Cliffhanger, but I read Stallone wasn't interested. I think the death of teh studio behind Cliffhanger pretty much did in the chances of any sequel (Cutthoart Island killed the studio). I wish there was another Buckaroo Banzai movie.
ENTERLINE MEDIA (entertainment articles and DVD/Movie/TV show reviews)

#18 of 89 OFFLINE   Greg Kettell

Greg Kettell

Screenwriter

• 1,221 posts
  • LocationNY Capital Region

Posted April 24 2004 - 09:27 PM

History of the World, Part I

Posted Image

#19 of 89 OFFLINE   Don Peskin

Don Peskin

Stunt Coordinator

• 190 posts

Posted April 25 2004 - 12:00 AM

Big Trouble In Little China - esp. if it reteams Kurt Russell with Dennis Dun (Wang)

#20 of 89 OFFLINE   Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted April 25 2004 - 01:43 AM

Yeah the concept that got kicked around for years would have involved the Hoover Dam.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users