What's new

Popular films that didn't get a follow-up...but should have. (1 Viewer)

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
I'm not talking about how great it would be to have a sequel to something like The Rocketeer (which I would absolutely love to have), but rather a follow up to films that actually did some decent boxoffice but only stayed at one story.

Not specifically "sequels", but at least a continuation of characters that we'd like to see again. Like how the James Bond films are separate adventures with the same core characters.

I would love to see follow up films to Galaxy Quest, Executive Decision, and especially Silverado.

I know that Lawrence Kasdan had ideas for a Silverado sequel initially, but decided against it...and that is his perogative. However, I loved those characters and would really have enjoyed seeing another adventure with them.

Galaxy Quest is still recent enough for me to hope there will be a follow up. I suppose a direct "sequel" is possible, but either way I would like to see more of those characters. The same goes for Executive Decision. Kurt Russell's brains over brawn hero teamed up with commandos (after their high profile, karate-chopping leader bites it early at the beginning of the film). I want to see more!

What are some other films that were reasonably popular, and should have had more...but stopped at just one? Perhaps for the better, perhaps for the worse?

Anyone?

DougFND

Stunt Coordinator
Don't flame me for this, it wasn't my idea. :)

My wife always wanted to see a follow up to "Titanic" that told Rose's story. Personally, I was satisfied with the what she told told about it in "Titanic".

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
True Lies One of my all time favorites of Arnold's and while a sequel was planned it got put off, then shelved after 9-11. :frowning:

And this is a whole other thread, I still would like to see a sequel to Godzilla (98).

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Which also starred Jennifer Aniston. You can watch an episode of it on TVland the day of the Friend's finale.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I didnt know they had thought of a sequel for Silverado. That would have been very cool.
I always thought that Innerspace deserved a follow up not only because it was good but because they left it open for a sequel.

The first Godzilla was so bad I cant see another one being made. It stunk!

Pete-D

Screenwriter
I'm surprised Cliffhanger (1993) didn't get a sequel because that was a pretty big hit for Stallone and did quite well.

The Goonies (1985) as well, although I hear they are prepping a sequel now.

I wonder if there's any chance they'd do a sequel to Sleepy Hollow (1999)? The first was fairly successful it seemed.

All three films were in genres where you'd expect sequels as well (action, adventure, horror).

Richard_D_Ramirez

Second Unit
Big Trouble in Little China: More Jack Burton!

Forrest Gump: It would be interesting to see the further adventures of Forrest and his son.

Leon: The Professional: Natalie Portman is currently at the perfect age to do a sequel.

8^B

michael deakin

Deceased Member
Real Name
Michael Charles Deakin
I too would like to see a sequel to Sleepy Hollow, Maybe they could call it Ichabod. It could involve a werewolf or vampire story set in the city.
mike.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Shoot To Kill - This came to mind as I just bought the DVD and it's a terrific movie.

I absolutely second Big Trouble in Little China as you can never get enough Jack (I was BORN ready!) Burton.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I heard they might do a sequel to Ferris Bueller's Day Off. It would be the characters today and them dealing with their kids. I think Ferris & his girlfriend(Mia Sara) would be married.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
They tried to get a sequel together for Cliffhanger, but I read Stallone wasn't interested. I think the death of teh studio behind Cliffhanger pretty much did in the chances of any sequel (Cutthoart Island killed the studio).

I wish there was another Buckaroo Banzai movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks