What's new

downside to using butt connectors for speaker wire (1 Viewer)

calvin_b

Stunt Coordinator
hi,

my not-so-efficient calculations rendered me about 18" short of speaker wire, and i am not about to do it all over again (long story, but wiring AFTER i planned and measured behind walls, through floors, etc).

i know that it may not even be noticeable, but what are the consequences of using butt-connectors to extend some speaker wire? im just wiring up some energy tower speakers i just bought. are there any statistical measurements?

just curious. thanks.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
No consequences whatsover. Alternatively you could slide a piece of shrink tubing over the wires, make staggered cuts (offset where the wires are joined), solder them, the pull the tubing down over the individual wires and just heat them shut.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Agree with the other guys. Butt connectors aren't the most secure way to connect speakers wires or any wire.

Solder is much better, but why not rerun your wires? Over the years I've gone trhough 300' of speaker wire, and I'm sure you'll end up using the stuff you pull.

Brent

calvin_b

Stunt Coordinator
thanks you guys. brent, i just dont want to go under the house, behind walls, etc etc anymore.

im also not the best in soldering, but i'll give it a try. im guessing i have to learn sometime or another.

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
That's a great link, Chu. Takes me back to first semester of electronic school. Refresher courses never hurt!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks