What's new

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles S1 (1 Viewer)

Josh_HI

Second Unit
I went to Target and they didn't have it.And if Target doesn't have it, I doubt Walmart will. Has anyone found this today?If so where and how much was it?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
My Wal-Mart had a space for it, for $9.44, but it hadn't arrived by mid-day. Best Buy had it in stock for $10.99, so I nabbed it.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Found mine at Best Buy also for $10's. Only two copies left. Either it sold out real quick, or no extra copies where ordered. I'm betting on the latter. The lady I gave it to at the checkout smiled and said she used to watch this on the spanish station. I guess I wasn't the only one who bought it today :).

Video quality for the first five is tne times better than the old VHS tapes I had. No tracking problems, no white line noise, no black line noise(little black slits appearing all over the place like a tracking problem, but tracking didn't fix it) and no audio skips. There ARE however, white dots that appear all over the place now and again, but nothing too distracting. Not to bad for an almost twenty year show(in 2007, at least).

The 1996 Episodes are undoubtably much better looking, although I seem to recal the sound being clearer on my VHS TV Taped Hi-Fi Episodes. It seems kind of dull to me. Oh well, nice to f inally have this on DVD...

And also nice to see they fixed the commercial edits on the DVD. On the VHS tapes, it was if someone pressed the pause button to early on some of them and they cut a few seconds off each commercail break. Anyone get theVHS version? I'm curious to it's quality and if it has 9 eps per tape..

david_slater

Stunt Coordinator
they got two episodes backwords and with the wrong number on them as well.

they have the episodes listed and played like this...

episodes 187. The Beginning of the End
episodes 188. The Return of Dregg

this is wrong!

go's like this...

episodes 186. The Return of Dregg
episodes 187. The Beginning of the End

this kind of thing drives me nuts. :rolleyes:

the bonus episodes are all from Season 10.
if they ever make it to Season 10 i hope they get it right next time.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
What they s hould of done, was air Return of Dregg, Begining of End, Power of THree, Turtle in Time, and Turtles to the Second Power. That would put the first five shredder and krang eps together and the last three.

ahh well. At least we know they may be putting SOME thought into these releases. They did call David Wise to ask him something, what that is I guess we'll never know..

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I picked my set up yesterday and am very happy with the overall quality. The transfers are far from pristine and I think they could have been cleaned up a little more in regards to white dots and grain, plus I noticed some edge enhancement - but overall the set looks nice.

I'm still unsure of the reasons why the four bonus episodes were included when they have no relevance to season one whatsoever. I wasn't so interested in seeing those and would have preferred some supplemenatl features, interviews or commercial spots instead as they didn't seem to fit in context. Obviously Season 2 runs a lot longer so it will be interesting to see how future sets are handeled but I would hope that we see more content on the next release!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Those are the 1996 episodes shown, not the originals, and the one on the right looks more like a VHS recording than an actual release. The video quality on the original episodes is much weaker and I think Artisan just didn't care to put any effort into this release. I'm actually pretty dissapointed with it and don't have high hopes for future sets...

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I just watched this last night, and it brought back fond memories. I didn't really get in to the season 10 episodes all that much though, but the first 5 ruled.

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
I was very happy to watch all of these episodes on DVD. My one qualm is that even if you watch the season 10 stuff in proper order, you still don't know how the situation came to be. My theory as to why those episodes were on the disc consists of two parts.

1. Season 1 only had 5 episodes, so they wanted to give the fans something a little more for their money.

2. If for some odd reason, this disc did not sell well, consumers would have the beginning and some of the end in the same package.

Like most series based on comics, the first season is a little bit off-model, the last season has to stretch quite a bit for new story ideas, and the best of the series lies sometime in the middle of the run.

Although the first five episodes work together, my favorite is "Shredder and Splintered." You've got Krang's body AND the Turtle blimp!

On an off-topic issue, I have the comic book/cassette tape of the first five episodes, and they did some strange effects with Krang's voice to make him sound scarier. I really missed the cartoony sarcasm that the voice on the TV series had, and now I can see it again on DVD.

For fans of the series, I would give this 4 stars. I am highly anticipating Season 2, which has many more episodes.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

There were two Japanese OAV episodes they could have included instead of those season 10 episodes. (I posted more info about this in another TMNT DVD thread.)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Those are the 1996 episodes shown, not the originals, and the one on the right looks more like a VHS recording than an actual release.>>

Yep, these where TV Taped episodes. The only red sky eps released on official VHS where 6 out of 8 eps from 1994. And a RUMORED release of 1995 eps, but no one has found a VHS to prove it.

My copies of the original releases(1987 3 tape set) where so bad in quality, a copmarison wouldn't be needed. I COULD compare it to my Epic Begins tape, however, since the quality on that is quite good...

IsaacM

Auditioning
I just got my set today from DDD. The video quality of the first season eps isn't that great, nut I'm just thrilled to have this piece of my childhood for under $8.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks