What's new

Steamed Cheeseburgers! (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
With all the talk of food lately, I must be hungry. :D After researching hamburgers, I came across something that shocked me. They say that steamed cheeseburgers originated in CT and not many places make them.

Question, has anyone ever had a steamed cheeseburger? Being in CT, I thought they were commonplace, but it seems like only people in CT may know about them. :eek: In fact, it looks like it may only be a central CT thing.

Please tell me someone outside of CT has had a steamed cheeseburger! Oh my, what the world is missing!!!!

http://www.steamedcheeseburger.com/ The site is nothing to write home about, but you'll get the idea.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I've never heard of steaming a cheeseburger here in Michigan. I guess you could do it, but I've never heard of it.

Every area has its things. Have you ever had a pasty? :)

Ron Etaylor

Second Unit
We don't have steamed cheeseburgers, but we have something called Nuway which is ground beef all crumbled up. I believe it is boiled with some spices added. They serve it on a bun and it is quite tasty. They also make chili with it which is very greasy...and again, quite tasty.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
STEAMED burgers? That sounds just... wrong... somehow. Grill the suckers!

WARNING! WARNING!!! DANGEROUS PHOTO AHEAD, courtesy of steamedcheeseburger.com.

Now, the caption for this pic is "Looks good!"

Um... no. I beg to differ. Kinda looks like shaved-Horta-on-a-bun. ;)

No offense Mark.. I'm sure that steamed cheeseburgers are tasty treats, but THAT particular burger looks like it belongs in James Lilek's Gallery of Regrettable Food. :D

(PS - If you haven't visited the above-mentioned Gallery, you should. You'll laugh. You'll cry. You'll never look at old cookbooks the same way...)

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

Not since I stopped dating Janet Jackson...

(sorry - couldn't resist)

Nor have I had a steamed burger. And for some unknown reason, I don't think I ever will.

Just give me oysters and beer
for dinner every day of the year....

Actually I thought our yacht club had the wackiest burgers. Since they didn't have the proper safety equipment in the kitchen, the menu was extremely limited. They bought this "grill" that looked like an industrial, stainless steel George Foreman grill. Instead of heating the burgers, they electrocuted them by passing current through the meat. Only took 30 seconds to cook a 1/4 pounder and they weren't that bad (compared to the rest of the menu).

Cheers !

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Having lived in Chicago, LA, SF, and Denver I have never seen a steamed chee. I have heard tell of a Cleveland steamer, but it never sounded appetizing enough to pursue the topic :D

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
I'm a little confused...

Are you telling me they cook the meat by steaming it? (ew)

Or do they just reheat an already cooked burger using steam... that kinda makes sense... Like if you have a couple of leftover Whitecastles the next day...

You really ought to think about joining a DIFFERENT yacht club...

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

Cheap beer - always keeps me comin' back for more... Plus they remodeled the kitchen, and raised the food prices to "market rates", so we don't eat there much anymore. Our motto is...

Annapolis: A drinking town with a sailing problem

Pepsi No Coke !!!!

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Pasties are popular in the U.P. of Michigan - Originating in Cornwall, England, and modified by immigrant Finnish and Swedish folks. It normally has ground steak/beef and/or pork, potato, onion, sometimes a little carrot, oftentimes a little rutabaga, baked in a shell. Normally served with gravy. Tasty. Kind of like a really simple pot And it's a short a, not an a like in PASTE.

They also make them in the chicken, vegetarian, etc varieties.

Here's a short link on it:

http://kenanderson.net/pasties/michigan.html

Something weird for each region, I guess.

I generally have hamburgers grilled or George Foreman'ed if I have one - I can see how steaming one would help keep it from drying out, I guess.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Poutine kicks ass :D

In fact i have a coupon for a 2-for-1 fries for NY Fries... gonna use it on a poutine someday
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
DAMN IT! I was hoping I would be the first one to mention that...:frowning::D

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member

I ate some raw oysters once. Puked thirty minutes later (thanks to getting wasted, but that's another Spring Break story). But then I'm one of those unusual individual that'll keep going for more. I'll have more crackers and raw oysters and tobasco sauce.

You know what else rules? Hooter shots. Oysters, tobasco, and beer.

I could've sworn that White Castle had steamed hamburgers. Mmm, White Castle.....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks