What's new

New Lawn Tractor Advice (1 Viewer)

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
The time has come for a new lawn tractor. I really don't want to spend more than $1500.

I'm looking at that John Deere that Home Depot has. It's a straight shift 5 speed (which is what I want; not hydro) and has extra available for it. I searched on Usenet for ideas but one seldom sees more than the usual "not a real Deere", insults and other bullshit.

Does anyone have any experience with this model? I'm wondering if I'm better off just buying an $800 Sears/AYP model instead.

I have 2 acres to mow but it's not all covered with grass.

My old lawn tractor was 11 hp with a 36" deck. All of the models I see for sale now seem to have at least a deck that size but usually more.

thanks

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
The May issue of Consumer Reports did an evaluation/rating of different lawn tractors. The highest rated one was the John Deere L110 ($1800 list). This is a model that Home Depot sells.

Of the gear-driven models (the L110 is a hydrostatic drive), the John Deere L100 ($1500) is the top-rated. This one is also sold by Home Depot.

I don't see the Sears model listed, but they have one for $1000, the 27275. It rated significantly below the Deere.

I own an older John Deere (an LT155) and it does a fantastic job on my lawn.

-greg

Jack Fanning

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Fanning
I just bought a Troy-Bilt "Pony" from Lowes. It was on sale for $999.

It features a 17.5 hp Briggs & Stratton engine with a 42" cut and a straight shift transmission. I really like it.

Jack

Scott Strang

Screenwriter

Howdy Greg

Does your Deere have a Kohler plant? I'm thinking that the LT series always used Kohler engines most of which I think have filtered oil or even presurized lube.

I noticed that the L100 has a Briggs with a splasher for lube which is probably okay since I change the earl, uhh sorry, oil at least twice a season.

I would love one of those compact diesels like this.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter

I saw that one too. How long have you had it? $1k is a good price.

I'd really like to save the money and put it toward a new computer which makes the $1k Troy Built look much more appealing than the $1500 Deere from HD.

Thnx for your input.

Jack Fanning

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Fanning

I've had it less than a month....very powerful for my level, one-acre subdivision lot.

Only thing I don't like about it is the fact that you have to disengage the PTO in order to shift to reverse. A safety feature that I don't need. I'm thinking you can probably bypass that , which I'll try to do after my warranty is up.

As far as I know Troy-Bilt is considered very good quality. Better than Murray and just as good or better than Craftman. Maybe a step below JD?

It's fire engine red and pretty sleek looking.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter

I love that red color too.

The Murray that I'm replacing is 22 years old. Over the years I've replaced the stearing gear assembly, mower deck spindle plus several batteries/mufflers/belts which I fully expect to have to do. It's easy to work on and parts are cheap but will soon be unavailable. The engine locked up but I plan to try to get it working well enough to pull a trailer (pickin up limbs, twigs, gravel etc), mow in areas I wouldn't want to run a new one through and generally abuse until parts dry up.

I want the new one for areas of my yard that are clear and not full of stumps, rocks, etc.

I think I'll take a test drive on that Troy Built from Lowes. If I'm not mistaken Troy Builts, Bolens and some Cubs are built by MTD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks