Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

New Lawn Tractor Advice

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Scott Strang

Scott Strang

Screenwriter

• 1,133 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 06:15 AM

The time has come for a new lawn tractor. I really don't want to spend more than $1500.

I'm looking at that John Deere that Home Depot has. It's a straight shift 5 speed (which is what I want; not hydro) and has extra available for it. I searched on Usenet for ideas but one seldom sees more than the usual "not a real Deere", insults and other bullshit.

Does anyone have any experience with this model? I'm wondering if I'm better off just buying an $800 Sears/AYP model instead.

I have 2 acres to mow but it's not all covered with grass.

My old lawn tractor was 11 hp with a 36" deck. All of the models I see for sale now seem to have at least a deck that size but usually more.

thanks

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   gregstaten

gregstaten

Supporting Actor

• 601 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 06:58 AM

The May issue of Consumer Reports did an evaluation/rating of different lawn tractors. The highest rated one was the John Deere L110 ($1800 list). This is a model that Home Depot sells.

Of the gear-driven models (the L110 is a hydrostatic drive), the John Deere L100 ($1500) is the top-rated. This one is also sold by Home Depot.

I don't see the Sears model listed, but they have one for $1000, the 27275. It rated significantly below the Deere.

I own an older John Deere (an LT155) and it does a fantastic job on my lawn.

-greg

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Jack Fanning

Jack Fanning

Second Unit

• 296 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 07:59 AM

I just bought a Troy-Bilt "Pony" from Lowes. It was on sale for $999.

It features a 17.5 hp Briggs & Stratton engine with a 42" cut and a straight shift transmission. I really like it.

Jack

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Scott Strang

Scott Strang

Screenwriter

• 1,133 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 08:03 AM

Quote:
I own an older John Deere (an LT155) and it does a fantastic job on my lawn.

Howdy Greg

Does your Deere have a Kohler plant? I'm thinking that the LT series always used Kohler engines most of which I think have filtered oil or even presurized lube.

I noticed that the L100 has a Briggs with a splasher for lube which is probably okay since I change the earl, uhh sorry, oil at least twice a season.

I would love one of those compact diesels like this.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Scott Strang

Scott Strang

Screenwriter

• 1,133 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 08:08 AM

Quote:
I just bought a Troy-Bilt "Pony" from Lowes. It was on sale for $999.
It features a 17.5 hp Briggs & Stratton engine with a 42" cut and a straight shift transmission. I really like it.

I saw that one too. How long have you had it? $1k is a good price.

I'd really like to save the money and put it toward a new computer which makes the $1k Troy Built look much more appealing than the $1500 Deere from HD.

Thnx for your input.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Jack Fanning

Jack Fanning

Second Unit

• 296 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 08:18 AM

Quote:
I saw that one too. How long have you had it? $1k is a good price.

I've had it less than a month....very powerful for my level, one-acre subdivision lot.

Only thing I don't like about it is the fact that you have to disengage the PTO in order to shift to reverse. A safety feature that I don't need. I'm thinking you can probably bypass that , which I'll try to do after my warranty is up.

As far as I know Troy-Bilt is considered very good quality. Better than Murray and just as good or better than Craftman. Maybe a step below JD?

It's fire engine red and pretty sleek looking.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Scott Strang

Scott Strang

Screenwriter

• 1,133 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 10:45 AM

Quote:
It's fire engine red and pretty sleek looking.

I love that red color too.

The Murray that I'm replacing is 22 years old. Over the years I've replaced the stearing gear assembly, mower deck spindle plus several batteries/mufflers/belts which I fully expect to have to do. It's easy to work on and parts are cheap but will soon be unavailable. The engine locked up but I plan to try to get it working well enough to pull a trailer (pickin up limbs, twigs, gravel etc), mow in areas I wouldn't want to run a new one through and generally abuse until parts dry up.

I want the new one for areas of my yard that are clear and not full of stumps, rocks, etc.

I think I'll take a test drive on that Troy Built from Lowes. If I'm not mistaken Troy Builts, Bolens and some Cubs are built by MTD.

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow