What's new

KILL BILL: The multiple versions thread (6 from Miramax; Japanese, SEs, etc.) (1 Viewer)

richardWI

Second Unit
From today's New York Times:

"Miramax is planning to release a half-dozen different DVD editions related to "Kill Bill."

"This is the beauty of having two volumes," said Rick Sands, chief operating officer at Miramax. " `Vol. 1' goes out, `Vol. 2' goes out, then `Vol. 1 Special Edition,' `Vol. 2 Special Edition,' the two-pack, then the Tarantino collection as a boxed set out for Christmas. It's called multiple bites at the apple. And you multiply this internationally." Mr. Tarantino has also cut an alternate version of the movie for Japan.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/20/mo...=all&position=

------------------------------------------------

We knew it was envitable, but it just seems wrong when you read the marketing strategy in print.

Let the gnashing of teeth begin.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
At least you know about it before they get released (except for Vol. 1, of course). A little patience will keep the "double dipping" to a minimum.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I too appreciate advanced word of the upcoming versions. Empowering the consumer to make the choice that is right for him ahead of time is a good thing.

However Mr. Sands' apparent tone (he seems to relish the multiple bites at the apple) doesn't help promote a positive image with regards to "money grubbing studio execs". Can't believe the PR person let those comments out...

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member

Ya, the information comes out AFTER Volume 1 DVD gets released though.

Plus, most people wouldn't come across this information on the web and not everyone reads the NY Times.

Sorry, but QT and Miramax are milking it for all it's worth.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I can just picture this guy salivating at the prospect of raking in all that moolah.

--
H

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
You call this crazy... meanwhile how many releases of Lord of the Rings have there been? :)

Fellowship Theatrical Fullscreen
Fellowship Theatrical Widescreen
Fellowship Extended Edition
Fellowship Extended Edition Box set

Two Towers Theatrical Fullscreen
Two Towers Theatrical Widescreen
Two Towers Extended Edition
Two Towers Extended Edition Box set

Return of the King Theatrical Fullscreen
Return of the King Theatrical Widescreen
Return of the King Extended Edition
Return of the King Extended Edition Box set

Lord of the Rings - Theatrical versions Boxset
Lord of the Rings - Extended Edition boxset (surely coming)

And there's also a bunch of 3rd party offshoots (Nat'l Geographic specials, etc...)

Therefore I can buy every version of Kill Bill and not get mocked ;) LOL

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
I wonder if this means there'll be one version with the two parts edited into one, followed by the same thing packaged into a boxed set w/other Tarantino movies?

All I want is a version w/both parts edited into one. Don't care as much about the extras.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
As long as I can get a two-pack of special editions for both volumes, with no bigger/re-edited editions coming out afterwards (different packaging excepted, a la "Tarantino box set," which would likely include the Miramax Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown SEs that I already own), I'll be happy.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Sounds nice. I didn't pick up the Volume 1 DVD because I wanted to pick up a boxset of the two volumes. Now it's just a matter of waiting for the "ultimate" boxset, the "Tarantino boxset". I'm guessing that's the one most people will want to pick up, as it should probably contain both films in 2-disc versions.

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
For LOTR, Widescreen and Fool Screen don't count as two releases, and the Extended Edition is included in the Box set, so I really don't see New Line milking the franchise as much as money-grubbing Miramax is...

Terry St

Second Unit

I'd say that they don't count as seperate releases since you'd never be in the least bit tempted to pick them up. :D

I must admit, I am already wondering what the special editions will include that will be different from the theatrical editions and the Tarantino edition. If Tarantino does an extensive recut to work volumes 1 and 2 together then the previous editions might be the only way to see the theatrical versions. It would be nice if they included the theatrical versions in the Tarantino box set, but somehow I suspect they won't. CHA-CHING!!!

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I picked up Kill Bill 1 because it was on sale for $11.99 and I'll do the same for #2. Then I'll wait for him to put the film back together before I buy it again.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I can find nothing wrong with what New Line did with LoTR. There was plenty of advanced news, not just on the 'net, but on ragshows like ET and Extra, Variety, etc. Anyone who cared to know had access to the info.

Emilio_M

Auditioning
How's it going everybody, new here.

So:

Vol. 1: 16.99
Vol. 2: 16.99
Vol. 1 SE: 19.99
Vol. 2 SE: 19.99
Vol. 1 & Vol. 2 two-pack: 34.99
Tarantino Collection: 49.99

TOTAL 'BILLS': $159

So do you think this Vol. 1 & Vol 2 two-pack is just a repackaging of the Special Editions or whole new content and box, etc.?

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Seems like overkill to me - but at least they didn't wait until KBV2 had been released to make the announcement.

I'll wait for the version where the 2 are combined into one movie.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H

Wow; where'd you find it at that price? I just used a rental because I'd have had to drive 40 mins to pick it up for almost $16 or get it online for that price. If I'd bought it online I wouldn't have been able to watch it again before seeing Kill Bill volume 2.

I knew ther were going to be multiple DVD releases of Kill Bill well before KBv1 came out on DVD. Then again, I'm on this board almost every day. Tarantino has already said the Japanese edit will be available in the US at some point. I'm not sure how I feel about a cut that has both volumes back as one film again. If anyting, it would probably be a little shorter. My biggest concern is whether they'll try to cram it all on one disc or not. It could probably be done, but at what cost compression-wise? If they split it to 2 discs it almost defeats the purpose.

I think I'll pick up the current DVD release and first KB2 release for cheap used at BBV or Movie Gallery. I would have snatched KB up for 11.99 had I had the opportunity though!

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Who couldn't 'quess' Vol. 1 & 2, would be released together?
The shocker's are the the SE's (I thought the 1 & 2 set, would be the SE), The Tarantino Set (All of his movies???), and the Japanese Version (can't buy the 1 & 2, till I find out what's this is about).
Only good thing is, and this may be a bit kind hearted, is that there is a KB for everyone & every price point.
However, if your a fan of this film, this is going too HURT!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks