-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

KILL BILL: The multiple versions thread (6 from Miramax; Japanese, SEs, etc.)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
274 replies to this topic

#1 of 275 richardWI

richardWI

Second Unit

• 362 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 04:12 AM

From today's New York Times:

"Miramax is planning to release a half-dozen different DVD editions related to "Kill Bill."

"This is the beauty of having two volumes," said Rick Sands, chief operating officer at Miramax. " `Vol. 1' goes out, `Vol. 2' goes out, then `Vol. 1 Special Edition,' `Vol. 2 Special Edition,' the two-pack, then the Tarantino collection as a boxed set out for Christmas. It's called multiple bites at the apple. And you multiply this internationally." Mr. Tarantino has also cut an alternate version of the movie for Japan.

http://www.nytimes.c....=all&position=

------------------------------------------------

We knew it was envitable, but it just seems wrong when you read the marketing strategy in print.

Let the gnashing of teeth begin.

#2 of 275 EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,461 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 04:14 AM

At least you know about it before they get released (except for Vol. 1, of course). A little patience will keep the "double dipping" to a minimum.

#3 of 275 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,568 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 04:17 AM

I too appreciate advanced word of the upcoming versions. Empowering the consumer to make the choice that is right for him ahead of time is a good thing.

However Mr. Sands' apparent tone (he seems to relish the multiple bites at the apple) doesn't help promote a positive image with regards to "money grubbing studio execs". Can't believe the PR person let those comments out...

#4 of 275 MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 04:22 AM

Quote:
...then the Tarantino collection as a boxed set out for Christmas.

Wow!

I wonder how many titles I'll be double-dipping on with this?

#5 of 275 Marc Colella

Marc Colella

Screenwriter

• 2,607 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 04:35 AM

Quote:
I too appreciate advanced word of the upcoming versions. Empowering the consumer to make the choice that is right for him ahead of time is a good thing.

Ya, the information comes out AFTER Volume 1 DVD gets released though.

Plus, most people wouldn't come across this information on the web and not everyone reads the NY Times.

Sorry, but QT and Miramax are milking it for all it's worth.

#6 of 275 Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 04:42 AM

Quote:
"This is the beauty of having two volumes," said Rick Sands, chief operating officer at Miramax. " `Vol. 1' goes out, `Vol. 2' goes out, then `Vol. 1 Special Edition,' `Vol. 2 Special Edition,' the two-pack, then the Tarantino collection as a boxed set out for Christmas. It's called multiple bites at the apple. And you multiply this internationally."
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I can just picture this guy salivating at the prospect of raking in all that moolah.

--
H

#7 of 275 Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter

Producer

• 4,528 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 04:53 AM

You call this crazy... meanwhile how many releases of Lord of the Rings have there been? Posted Image

Fellowship Theatrical Fullscreen
Fellowship Theatrical Widescreen
Fellowship Extended Edition
Fellowship Extended Edition Box set

Two Towers Theatrical Fullscreen
Two Towers Theatrical Widescreen
Two Towers Extended Edition
Two Towers Extended Edition Box set

Return of the King Theatrical Fullscreen
Return of the King Theatrical Widescreen
Return of the King Extended Edition
Return of the King Extended Edition Box set

Lord of the Rings - Theatrical versions Boxset
Lord of the Rings - Extended Edition boxset (surely coming)

And there's also a bunch of 3rd party offshoots (Nat'l Geographic specials, etc...)

Therefore I can buy every version of Kill Bill and not get mocked Posted Image LOL

#8 of 275 Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor

• 791 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 05:00 AM

Quote:
...the two-pack, then the Tarantino collection as a boxed set out for Christmas.
I wonder if this means there'll be one version with the two parts edited into one, followed by the same thing packaged into a boxed set w/other Tarantino movies?

All I want is a version w/both parts edited into one. Don't care as much about the extras.

Home Theater Addict

#9 of 275 Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 05:02 AM

As long as I can get a two-pack of special editions for both volumes, with no bigger/re-edited editions coming out afterwards (different packaging excepted, a la "Tarantino box set," which would likely include the Miramax Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown SEs that I already own), I'll be happy.

#10 of 275 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,659 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 05:31 AM

This ain't double-dipping, it's a bath!
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#11 of 275 PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 05:45 AM

Sounds nice. I didn't pick up the Volume 1 DVD because I wanted to pick up a boxset of the two volumes. Now it's just a matter of waiting for the "ultimate" boxset, the "Tarantino boxset". I'm guessing that's the one most people will want to pick up, as it should probably contain both films in 2-disc versions.

#12 of 275 Darren Haycock

Darren Haycock

Second Unit

• 456 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 06:02 AM

For LOTR, Widescreen and Fool Screen don't count as two releases, and the Extended Edition is included in the Box set, so I really don't see New Line milking the franchise as much as money-grubbing Miramax is...
"Make ready, for this is our first and final battle..."

#13 of 275 Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter

Producer

• 4,528 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 06:11 AM

Quote:
For LOTR, Widescreen and Fool Screen don't count as two releases
Why not? They have different UPCs Posted Image

#14 of 275 Terry St

Terry St

Second Unit

• 393 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 06:37 AM

Quote:
Why not? They have different UPCs

I'd say that they don't count as seperate releases since you'd never be in the least bit tempted to pick them up. Posted Image

I must admit, I am already wondering what the special editions will include that will be different from the theatrical editions and the Tarantino edition. If Tarantino does an extensive recut to work volumes 1 and 2 together then the previous editions might be the only way to see the theatrical versions. It would be nice if they included the theatrical versions in the Tarantino box set, but somehow I suspect they won't. CHA-CHING!!!

#15 of 275 LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport

Screenwriter

• 2,980 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 06:40 AM

I picked up Kill Bill 1 because it was on sale for $11.99 and I'll do the same for #2. Then I'll wait for him to put the film back together before I buy it again.

#16 of 275 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,568 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 06:49 AM

I can find nothing wrong with what New Line did with LoTR. There was plenty of advanced news, not just on the 'net, but on ragshows like ET and Extra, Variety, etc. Anyone who cared to know had access to the info.

#17 of 275 Emilio_M

Emilio_M

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 06:54 AM

How's it going everybody, new here.

So:

Vol. 1: 16.99
Vol. 2: 16.99
Vol. 1 SE: 19.99
Vol. 2 SE: 19.99
Vol. 1 & Vol. 2 two-pack: 34.99
Tarantino Collection: 49.99

TOTAL 'BILLS': $159

So do you think this Vol. 1 & Vol 2 two-pack is just a repackaging of the Special Editions or whole new content and box, etc.?

#18 of 275 Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,260 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 07:36 AM

Seems like overkill to me - but at least they didn't wait until KBV2 had been released to make the announcement.

I'll wait for the version where the 2 are combined into one movie.
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#19 of 275 Grant H

Grant H

Screenwriter

• 2,844 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 07:50 AM

I picked up Kill Bill 1 because it was on sale for $11.99 and I'll do the same for #2.

Wow; where'd you find it at that price? I just used a rental because I'd have had to drive 40 mins to pick it up for almost $16 or get it online for that price. If I'd bought it online I wouldn't have been able to watch it again before seeing Kill Bill volume 2.

I knew ther were going to be multiple DVD releases of Kill Bill well before KBv1 came out on DVD. Then again, I'm on this board almost every day. Tarantino has already said the Japanese edit will be available in the US at some point. I'm not sure how I feel about a cut that has both volumes back as one film again. If anyting, it would probably be a little shorter. My biggest concern is whether they'll try to cram it all on one disc or not. It could probably be done, but at what cost compression-wise? If they split it to 2 discs it almost defeats the purpose.

I think I'll pick up the current DVD release and first KB2 release for cheap used at BBV or Movie Gallery. I would have snatched KB up for 11.99 had I had the opportunity though!
My midis bring all the Force to the yard; my midis are better than yours!

#20 of 275 Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 08:05 AM

Who couldn't 'quess' Vol. 1 & 2, would be released together?
The shocker's are the the SE's (I thought the 1 & 2 set, would be the SE), The Tarantino Set (All of his movies???), and the Japanese Version (can't buy the 1 & 2, till I find out what's this is about).
Only good thing is, and this may be a bit kind hearted, is that there is a KB for everyone & every price point.
However, if your a fan of this film, this is going too HURT!!!
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow