What's new

Electric Light Orchestra Zoom Tour Live...a must-own! (1 Viewer)

Scott Lund

Stunt Coordinator
Just picked this 11/13 DVD up yesterday...and have to say that this is absolutely one of the finest concert/music DVDs I've seen. Jeff Lynne has a revamped ELO eight piece band and a new spaceship. He is in top vocal form on this concert, hitting all of his notes effortlessly, and the rest of the band is excellent. Obviously many ELO songs would be difficult to reproduce faithfully in a live setting and the results here are mind-blowing...not only do they sound just about perfect but also pack some real punch. Six songs from the new Zoom release are included in addition to virtually all of ELO's classic hits. If you are any kind of ELO or Lynne fan I say RUN and buy this one as quickly as possible - you will not be disappointed.
The 16x9 widescreen image is just about flawless. I only listened to the DTS soundtrack. There is quite a bit of LFE and surround use...many of the instruments come through loud and clear in the rear channels. I'm not sure how audio purists would view this mix but it sounded very enveloping and pleasing to me. Since the cameras pan around the stage and audience quite a bit, I don't know what a 'true' mix would be anyway. Regardless, I'm not complaining at all, and if you like concert mixes to have heavy surround use you'll be in heaven here. Awesome.
39753h.jpg

[Edited last by Scott Lund on November 18, 2001 at 10:45 AM]

MarcelG

Auditioning
Hi Scott,
I just want to say that I agree completly with your findings. This is a must buy!!
One thing about the audiotracks: the DD has a dailnorm of +4, so it has a higher level than the DTS track. This could be why you might think it sounds better but in fact it has a less detailed,harsh and sharp sound. The DTS track is smooth, detailed and full sound.
So enjoy.
Marcel

Scott Lund

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, maybe you misread what I wrote but I haven't bothered listening to the DD track yet - I've only listed to the DTS. I might compare them myself later on, but last night I only had time to just view the entire program (and the JL interview as well). I'm not much of a critical reviewer though - a lot of the time, if dual DTS and DD tracks are featured, I won't even bother to compare them - I usually prefer the DTS anyway so quite often I won't even spend any time with the DD. The only reason I even mention there being any question as to whether this mix is any kind of 'accurate' or 'true' concert sound mix, is that personally I feel that I am not very qualified to say what IS a good mix or isn't....I only know this one sounds pretty sweet to my ears.
Glad someone else likes this fine disc! This will be one of the crown jewels of my collection :)

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
Scott, thanks for the great review. You've definitely got me interested in this one. Could you please post a track list? :)
------------------
The Dark Tower
jamaris1.jpg

Scott Lund

Stunt Coordinator
Track List:
1. Do Ya
2. Evil Woman
3. Showdown
4. Strange Magic
5. Livin' Thing
6. Alright
7. Lonesome Lullaby
8. Telephone Line
9. Turn To Stone
10. Just For Love
11. Easy Money
12. Mr. Blue Sky
13. Ma-Ma-Ma Belle
14. One Summer Dream
15. Tightrope
16. State Of Mind
17. Can't Get It Out Of My Head
18. Moment In Paradise
19. 10538 Overture
20. Ordinary Dream
21. Shine A Little Love
22. Don't Bring Me Down
23. Roll Over Beethoven
24. End Credits
Also features a text history of the Zoom album and concert, and an interview with Jeff Lynne that is interesting but nothing earth-shattering.

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
Thanks for the list, Scott. I have been on a real music-DVD tangent lately. Now my budget gets strained once again!
------------------
The Dark Tower
jamaris1.jpg

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I love ELO. Think they went to shit after
Jeff Lynne left the group.
Nice to see he is back.
Question.....
The big decision on purchase is whether
they sound exactly asthey did during the 70's
and 80's.
I have the ELO sound forever in my head but
would hate to have it shattered if the group
sounds different than they did all those years ago.
------------------
ronbo.jpg

Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
Circa 2000
Home Theater Forum Administrator
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
Email Packy [email protected]

Scott Lund

Stunt Coordinator
Ronald, as far as being true to the original sound - I suspect that you would be pretty happy with the results here...perhaps even ecstatic. Actually, I had just watched the vastly inferior 1978 ELO Live At Wembley concert DVD with the original band lineup before viewing this new release, and the original lineup sounded much less like the band's studio recordings in that concert than this new effort does. Chalk part of it up to advanced technology and production methods and part of it simply up to the fact that this is a crack band and Jeff himself is in top form.
By the way, when I say this really has some punch I don't mean that he has radically altered these songs or anything like that. Just that they are some definitely rockin' tunes - but melodies, tempos etc haven't changed. It really is very true to the original intent of these songs, with enough nuance to add some new excitement. His voice is just perfect!
This Zoom concert is basically Jeff and one other original member as far as I can tell. Everyone else in the new lineup is a new addition. I guess there is quite a bit of controversy over the band name and Jeff hasn't spoken to some of the others, Bev Bevan and company for 15 years except maybe in court. Basically the band has always been his pet project anyway and the songs, except covers, were all written by him, so while it's sad to see the original band not together anymore, this isn't any kind of travesty either - IMO.
[Edited last by Scott Lund on November 18, 2001 at 07:15 PM]

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Oh man, ELO, I love that stuff. The kind of pure ear candy you just don't hear anymore. I have fond memories of several concerts in the 70s, including one where two of my friends walked out of Hirsch Memorial Coloseum in Shreveport with a board from the stage... no kidding, they looked like roadies...
biggrin.gif

At any rate, great review Scott. This one flew under my radar but I will be picking it up for sure.
------------------
Too many DVDs, too little time...
AFI 100 Challenge - 36 to go!

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Hey, thanks for the tip. I've always liked ELO, but I wasn't even aware that this DVD existed! I'll keep an eye out for it.
Very glad to see that 'Telephone Line' was included! I love that one.
------------------
Scott Weinberg
------------------
ofcsminilogo2.gif

Ted Kontos

Stunt Coordinator
I might add that they do a great version of "10538 Overture" for those fans who have followed ELO since their post-Move formation.
------------------
--------
Ted K.
My DVD Collection

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I love ELO. Think they went to shit after
Jeff Lynne left the group.
That has to be a joke! If, in fact, ELO released albums after Jeff Lynne left, they really did go to shit, because I never heard a single song by ELO without Jeff Lynne as part of the group!
Anyway, this DVD just became a real must buy since ELO's North American Tour was just cancelled!
confused.gif

Scott Lund

Stunt Coordinator
I believe the other faction in the band recorded under the name "Electric Light Orchestra Part II" or some variant on that...not very confidence inspiring :) Pretty sure that JL has always retained rights to the proper band name.
Yeah this tour was prematurely cancelled. Like my wife said, what a shame - if they couldn't sell enough tickets people sure don't know what they were missing. Maybe the whole thing can get a second life out of this DVD...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Rob,

No joke.

I have a live CD from ELO that was

performed after Jeff Lynn had left the band.

Sounds like crap!

If you want the name, let me know, and I'll

go look in my CD collection.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Bev Bevan and the other ELO alums released an album or two under the name "ELO" without Jeff Lynne. Lynne sued and one of the results is that all of their recorded works without Lynne are now credited to "ELO Part II". One of the reasons that the Zoom album was released as an ELO project rather than a solo project was because Lynne wanted to reassert his ownership of the band name. It was nice that he went for the "ELO sound" as well.

Regards,

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't seen anyone mention that the "Zoom Live" disc by ELO is really a "Superbit" title in everything but name only.
I was really impressed with the look of the disc and turned on the bit display. This disc averages about 9.0 throughout the entire 90 minutes. It's really stunning, and I couldn't see any artifacts.
One curiosity is that the DTS soundtrack is 5.0 and the Dolby Digital is 5.1. You can clearly tell that the DD track has a discrete subwoofer channel, but I still prefer the DTS tracks because they sound so smooth. That's actually one of the main reasons I prefer DTS. Dolby Digital is great, but I seem to be constantly aware of where the sound is coming from; with DTS, there's an overall blend to the sound that doesn't distract.
Anyway, this is a great disc. And since the Zoom tour was cancelled before it had even begun, it's going to be your only chance to see it.

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the "heads up". I'll have to grab this on Tuesday's brick & mortar run.

A news piece I just read mentioned people such as Ringo & Harrison contributing to some of the songs. Most of the songs were done by Lynne in his Cailfornia home.

OT... What ever happened to the Spell Checker?

Users who are viewing this thread