Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Warner and HP to join forces on restoration...

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Lead Actor

• 6,562 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted April 19 2004 - 06:03 AM

From IMDb:

"HP Computers To Rescue Classic TV Shows

Warner Bros. and computer giant Hewlett-Packard are expected to announce a partnership today (Monday) to restore classic TV shows and movies to a clarity rivaling contemporary film images. Reporting on the planned announcement, the Los Angeles Times observed that it "underscores the growing importance of digital technology to broadcasters and studios." The newspaper quoted Vikki Pachera, HP's vice president for global alliances and business development as saying, "When you look at an old film from the '30s, it's just not as enjoyable given what we're used to expecting from the studios these days." The company's new technology, she implied, would overcome that deficiency. Meanwhile, today's Wall Street Journal reported that HP has entered into a similar agreement with DreamWorks that is aimed at going beyond film restoration and make the entire filmmaking process more efficient. "

I have no idea what this means. I hope it does not mean erasing detail and modifying the aspect ratio.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then. And while you're at it, PLEASE stop dropping DVD/laserdisc extras from Blu-ray releases of other films.

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted April 19 2004 - 06:08 AM

Since all these programs were 4:3, I can't think of a single reason why they would do anything like that, and I find it doubtful they would..

I do think that what they are trying to do is clean up a lot of muddy looking shows that many would like/consider buying so they can sell them for more money Posted Image
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,605 posts

Posted April 19 2004 - 06:15 AM

I can. See the thread on here discussing the DVD of the TV series Kung Fu. As 16:9 TVs become more prevalent, you will see a lot more whining from the uninformed about "black bars" from watching 4:3 material on their shiny new 16:9 sets.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,765 posts

Posted April 19 2004 - 09:12 AM

She must not ever see the new prints the studios strike of their older films. I've recently run new 35mm prints of "The House of Fear", "Wizard of Oz" (in dye-transfer Technicolor), and "Modern Times" that looked better than just about any modern film you could name.
"Go ahead...make my day."

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Lead Actor

• 6,562 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted April 19 2004 - 09:20 AM

Modern cinematography pales in comparison to "the good old days," in my opinion. They have so much at their disposal but what they actually use is limited.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then. And while you're at it, PLEASE stop dropping DVD/laserdisc extras from Blu-ray releases of other films.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Stephen Brooks

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit

• 406 posts
  • LocationBrownsburg, IN

Posted April 19 2004 - 01:43 PM

So does this mean Warner is junking their relationship with Lowry Digital (dedicated Mac users) in favor of setting up their own shop?
IMPERIAL OFFICER: Lord Vader, I can't find the Central Navigational Network!

VADER (points to control panel): This......is CNN.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users