Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Abbott & Costello Vol. 3, Halloween, Marx Brothers and W.C. Fields Titles COMING

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
305 replies to this topic

#1 of 306 Lyle H.

Lyle H.

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted April 19 2004 - 01:44 AM

DOUBLE INDEMNITY, the long awaited DVD (which was OOP and hard to find for years) is finally being re-issued by Universal. Also, they have announced Tobe Hooper's THE FUNHOUSE, THE BEST OF BUD ABBOTT AND LOU COSTELLO VOL. 3, FILM NOIR TITLES, HALLOWEEN TITLES, and much more.

Goto Universal's home video page for more info...

Highlights:

April 27th - The Universal Monster Legacy Collection(s) - Frankenstein, Wolfman, and The Mummy
May 4th - The Best of Bud Abbott and Lou Costello Vol. 2
May 4th - On the Road with Bob Hope and Bing Crosby
July 6th - The Big Clock
July 6th - The Black Angel
July 6th - Criss Cross
July 6th - Double Indemnity
August 3rd - The Best of Bud Abbott and Lou Costello Vol. 3 (Mexican Hayride, Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein, Abbott and Costello Meet The Killer, Abbott and Costello in The Foregin Legion, Abbott and Costello meet The Invisible Man, Comin' Round the Mountain, Lost in Alaska, Go to Mars)
September 7th - Cryptkeepers Deadly Duo (Bordello of Blood, Demon Knight)
September 7th - The Funhouse
September 7th - Sssssss

#2 of 306 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,399 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted April 19 2004 - 02:28 AM

More noir! Double Indemnity and This Gun for Hire Posted Image

---
So many films, so little time...
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#3 of 306 Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted April 19 2004 - 02:35 AM

Now, let's hope that they give "Double Indemnity" it's proper respect. I can already sense a barebones treatment and little or no picture improvement.

I hate to be negative, but Universal has really given no reason to feel otherwise.

Please, please give this title some appropriate extras. This is one of my Top 5 all-time favorites.

#4 of 306 Chris Cheese

Chris Cheese

Stunt Coordinator

• 184 posts

Posted April 19 2004 - 02:39 AM

Well, the MSRP of those noirs is $15 and Universal's site has them up for preorder for $10 so I'm not holding out a lot of hope. The site also doesn't list any extra features except for a trailer on Double Indemnity and says they're all in snapper cases (that can't be right, can it?). Regardless though, I will be perfectly happy if the audio and video is good. For a low price, that's all I require, and it'll just be nice to own Double Indemnity and Criss Cross on DVD (and I'll probably blind-buy a couple of the others, too). July is shaping up to be a great month for noir fans. Hopefully Universal won't let us down here.

#5 of 306 Derek_McL

Derek_McL

Second Unit

• 316 posts

Posted April 19 2004 - 03:00 AM

At last Double Indemnity but still no Fields though !

#6 of 306 Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted April 19 2004 - 03:09 AM

I don't hold out much hope for the first-class presentation DOUBLE INDEMNITY deserves. Let's just be glad they're not jamming all 5 of these films on one DVD-18, which seems to be part of their "fire sale" mentality lately.

#7 of 306 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 15,964 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted April 19 2004 - 03:28 AM

Quote:
At last Double Indemnity but still no Fields though !

my mind reading skills must be going downhill.

i just saw the BBB thread about columbia and couldnt figure that one out either.

what is fields?

facebook.com/whotony

#8 of 306 Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted April 19 2004 - 03:40 AM

what is fields?

W.C. Fields

#9 of 306 Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon

Supporting Actor

• 534 posts

Posted April 19 2004 - 03:52 AM

I'm looking forward to "The Big Clock!"

I'll get "Double Indemnity" as well.
Spoiler tags are cool.

#10 of 306 george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted April 19 2004 - 04:22 AM

Could someone post a link. I can't seem to get to whatever page has this information. Thanks.
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#11 of 306 Jay E

Jay E

Screenwriter

• 2,485 posts

Posted April 19 2004 - 04:33 AM

Here George

http://homevideo.uni....wseReleaseDate

Just click through, there are a few pages.

Some great title there, especially the Noirs. Happy to see The Celebration & High Art coming.

#12 of 306 Chuck L

Chuck L

Screenwriter

• 1,008 posts

Posted April 19 2004 - 04:53 AM

I hope soon that they will visit the Pyscho series and finally do them (all four) in proper versions on DVD. Meaning, extra's...finally 2 and 3 in widescreen...commentary...

Nice to see 'Double' coming though as well as a few other titles that I have missed out on.

#13 of 306 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 23,885 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 19 2004 - 05:00 AM

Here are the film noir titles coming out from Universal on July 6th.
  • Black Angel
  • Criss Cross
  • Double Indemnity
  • The Big Clock
  • This Gun for Hire

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#14 of 306 Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald

Screenwriter

• 1,587 posts

Posted April 19 2004 - 05:04 AM

Woo hoo! Film Noir reigns supreme on DVD in July! All 5 Noir titles will be mine! Thanks much for the news & the link! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

An excellent selection to start off with. Hopefully these will sell well enough that further batches of Universal-controlled Noir will make it to DVD in the not-too-distant future. If so, I hope the next films in line will be:

THE GLASS KEY (maybe pair the 1942 & 1935 versions, as Universal has done with IMITATION OF LIFE?)
THE PHANTOM LADY (1944)
MINISTRY OF FEAR (1944)
RIDE THE PINK HORSE (1947)
NAKED ALIBI (1954)

What a great year for catalog titles on DVD this is, and there's still more than half a year to go!

My Current Damage at DVD Aficionado

Wanted in R1: UNEARTHLY STRANGER ('63) / IF I HAD A MILLION ('32) / THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK ('41) / IT CONQUERED THE WORLD ('56) / TERROR ABOARD ('33) / DANGER ROUTE ('68) / THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM ('68) / GUNN ('67) / ZOO IN BUDAPEST ('33) / THE SEA WOLF ('41) / DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS ('63, restored) / ALAKAZAM THE GREAT ('60) / DARKER THAN AMBER ('70) / THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME ('47) / CROSSWINDS ('51) / JIVARO ('54)

Wanted TV-on-DVD: T.H.E. CAT (1966-67) / SUSPICION (1957-58) / WAY OUT (1961) / ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (1962-65) / PANIC! (1957-58) / CORONET BLUE (1965) / DRAGNET ('50s) / NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN (1968) / BUS STOP (1961-62) / THE WESTERNER (1960) / THE IMMORTAL (1970) / BLUE LIGHT (1966) / TERRIERS (2010) / THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1966)

#15 of 306 Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,556 posts

Posted April 19 2004 - 05:35 AM

Very happy to see Universal releasing some noir titles this year. I am curious about the quality of their pending release of Double Indemnity. I have the old Image release, so unless there is some improvement I'll stick with that copy. The others I either have on VHS ( easy replacement ) or LD ( maybe a replacement. )

Looking through the pending titles I see a few more pre-orders. Nice to see Universal finally mining their deep catalog.

- Walter.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#16 of 306 george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted April 19 2004 - 06:36 AM

Thanks for the link.

I'll definitely be getting This Gun For Hire and will gladly double-dip on Double Indemnity if there's any improvement over my current dvd (which seems unlikely Posted Image). I would have sworn I'd seen Criss Cross, but the more I think about it, I think I was thinking of Crossfire. Fortunately, Criss Cross will be playing on TCM on April 30th, so I'll get a chance to check it out.
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#17 of 306 Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted April 19 2004 - 06:46 AM

Quote:
I am curious about the quality of their pending release of Double Indemnity. I have the old Image release, so unless there is some improvement I'll stick with that copy
The same here! Posted Image
Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#18 of 306 Jay E

Jay E

Screenwriter

• 2,485 posts

Posted April 19 2004 - 07:14 AM

There is no way that this new edition of Double Indemnity will look as bad as the Image release. That suffered from a poor conversion to DVD. I have the laser of this film put out by Universal and the difference in quality between it & the DVD is night & day, almost solely due to problems with the conversion, not in the print.

Universal re-releases of Image DVDs have almost always been better. Remember, those Image releases were during the early days of DVD.

#19 of 306 Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,061 posts

Posted April 19 2004 - 07:25 AM

They have to do *something* with "Double Indemnity," whch has the worst PQ of any title I've ever owned.

Excited to hear about "Ssssssss..."!

#20 of 306 Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,556 posts

Posted April 19 2004 - 07:33 AM

Sounds good to me Jay. ( I never owned the LD and couldn't make the comparison; but I agree that LD transfers ported to DVD generally look worse than their LD versions. )

- Walter.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

Forum Nav Content I Follow