What's new

Sony DVP-S7000 (1 Viewer)

TravisEtherton

Stunt Coordinator
I am thinking about getting a Sony DVP-S7000. My reciever decodes DTS but it isn't listed on the DVD players features. Can it do it...?

Thanks for any help....

This is such a noob question...:b ...

DanFe

Second Unit
It is a very old, 1st edition player. It cannot encode dts. There are more recent and better players out. The one thing the 7000 could do was play all region discs, I believe.

Ken Smith

Stunt Coordinator
This 1st generation player won't do DTS or Progressive scan. I bought mine in '97 when it came out with msrp of $1000. Great player for interlaced only and no Chroma Bug.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Only some of the earliest 7000's can play all region discs and disable Macrovision. There were slide switches inside that could disable the MV and Region locks. Check the manufacture date on the back -- March and April 1997 units all have the switches and some of the May 1997 units. There may be a firmware mod that can be made that may bypass the region on some of the later models, but I doubt the MV. This sounds like I may be treading a bit on the Community Standards, but hopefully the link will get left if nothing else.

As far as I know, it can't be made DTS capable without major surgery if at all. The US version can only play NTSC discs. It doesn'tconvert PAL to NTSC or output PAL to PAL.
It doesn't play DVD+/-R or +/-RW. It can't do Progressive scan. I think there is a way to mod it to do PAL via minor surgery at home, but I've never anyone to do it.

It is a tank, it has one of the better audio sections ever for CD and DVD, it will play many discs that some players will not touch (scratched or dirty), it has a very short layer switch -- sometimes a less than one second delay, sometimes unnoticeable switch, it has an excellent video display though not as sharp as some of the newer players, but it is a very smooth picture with very little MPEG artifacts and noise. This was discussed a lot early on with some folks preferring the Sony smooth and some folks like the super sharp Toshiba style output.

I had one of the original units paying almost MRSP and it has been the main player for 7 years and it hasn't blinked. Easily one of the best $900+ I've ever spent on HT.

Best S7000 information on the web:
Sony DVD-S7000 Everything you ever wanted to know, but ....

Grant B

Senior HTF Member

Mine does DVD-R ....also most VCDs.

From what I read and found out about mine; since it was the 1st Sony DVD; they evolved quite a bit. Early ones are all regions. There is a way to bring up the service menu and show what SW version is installed. Thats how you can tell. It also can do a self test and calibration via the menu.... pretty cool (so that statement gives my engineering status away).
But go with what David said since they tend to vary.
Tanks are cool except when traveling and then they are just heavy.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Interesting on the DVD-R because mine is 0-4 on discs recorded from several different sources. I wasn't aware that any of the machines are All Region out of the box though the early units with the internal switches were extremely easy to make that way. The FAQ has a huge amount of details including a description of how to access the service menu and the firmware versions.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I have been using an older Pioneer recorder @1x with EZ creator 6. The discs are Optodisc DVD-Rs.
Not sure why but they do!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks