What's new

24: Day 3 - 4/18/04 - Hour 18 (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Another strong episode. I definitely didn't think Chapelle would actually be killed, but blam...Jack blew his brains out.

Aside from Chapelle dying, not too much as far as plot movement this episode. I did like Chase and the strike team taking down Saunders's supposed location (good seeing Gavin Park back in the fray).

Speaking of Angel connections, wasn't the woman that had the one night stand with "Bill" Wes's girlfriend for a few episodes during Season 2?

It will be interesting seeing how the track down "Bill" w/the virus on the loose.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Actually, you had to feel a little bit sorry for all those bad guys who got shot guarding a transfer point for Saunders. :) To have all those guys guarding that spot bought Saunders, what, 30 minutes of lead time?

I would have paid money to see Chappelle break out his priest collar from the Sopranos at the last second.

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
Holy shit! I didn't think Jack would actually do it.

I don't think I could bring my self to take a capsule. Actually, I'm pretty damn sure I couldn't.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Good episode; one of this season's best.

Two things though:

1. I can't be the only one who's sick of that Silence of the Lambs Bait & Switch Editing Trick. Annoying.

2. Right before Chapelle took the bullet, he needed a line like "Jack, just make sure...you....get that goddam BASTARD for me!!" Blammo!!!

WillG

Senior HTF Member

"Just promise me one thing......Get Mendoza!"
" MENDOOOOOZZZZZAAAAAAAAAAAAA! "

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Outstanding! I really thought they'd pull a last-minute rabbit out of the hat with the Chapelle thing. Loved the way the end-of-episode clock ticked down without the usual sound effect - just the sound of a train whistle.

The assault on Saunders' hideout was, of course, very Silence Of The Lambs, but they did it quite effectively with Saunders just missing seeing the agents on his monitors.

The show is very quickly going to some very scary places. A major outbreak in LA looks probable with "Bill" about to head out to work despite bleeding profusely from the nose.

There's hope for Michelle, as she's still not symptomatic. You'd think she would be by now if she was infected.

Seven hours left. I'm thinking Saunders is not the final baddie - there's someone behind him.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Michelle being immune seems to be a bit of a cheat. However, they have killed off The Salizars, Gael, Nina and Chappelle so Michelle may just stand a chance.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

Yah, it amazes me how many "major" characters have been killed this season.

I caught the Silence of the Lambs editing trick as well, and based upon the previews I figured there was no way that Saunders would be in the building. That being said, I still found Chase & co's systematic takedown of everyone pretty kewl.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Chase and the boys handled the building quite well, and my friends fear of street sweepers was confirmed as well. The whole Chapelle being killed thing was rather sad, how he reacted to it all. I just felt so bad for him and for Jack during it all. One of the hardest episodes to watch honestly.

But the main thought running through my head all this episode was "THIS is why this show won the golden globe!"

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
Man... I thought President Palmer was stronger than that. I find it hard to believe that he would actually suggest to Jack that he kill Chapelle. I thought negotiating with terrorists or caving in to their demands was a big no no (I think Palmer even said something to that effect a few episodes ago). That's just giving whoever this terrorist is more power than the president. Then I was surprised that Jack actually carried out the killing of Chapelle (at least that's how it appears).

Other than that plot point, this was yet another good episode in, so far, my favorite season of 24.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Sadly, one of the most pivotal episodes of 24 ever will probably be one of the least seen.

BTW supposedly FX will be re-running this episode tomorrow and Tuesday

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

That's really true. At times it felt even worse than Mason biting it last season. At least with Mason there was a sort of redemption story running in the background...but with Chapelle it was just, well, sad.

Now we can all just hope that when Jack finally ices Saunders, he can give him a "This is for Ryan Chapelle...you bastard!"

:D

Joe_H

Screenwriter
You know, I'm not really quite sure that Saunders didn't see Chase. For one, his arm was still visible on the monitor as Saunders looked back at it, and two, we don't know what was on the monitor the camera couldn't see that Saunders was looking at showed. Saunders also knew exactly when to call Jack and tell him about his little trick to reroute the calls. He probably knew that Chase was in there, and didn't care because it wasn't where he (meaning Saunders) was.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

In this case, I don't think that Palmer had much choice but to give in. The risk was just too severe. If they refused to let Chappelle die and Saunders released the virus, it would be the biggest known global holocaust ever. All the chips are down, there is no second hand and no cutting of loses with casualites. 90% of the U.S. population would die. You can say, no negotiation, but what's the point if the result kills 90% of your country (Chappelle would likely have died anyway)

All he can do is try to buy time and hope it is enough for CTU to catch Saunders before the next demands/consequences become more severe.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
My prediction about Saunders:

He has a vaccine. Something about the way he reassured his underling that "we'll be fine" suggests he's unconcerned about a possible infection.

M.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
Yep, 24 continues to hold nothing back. Great episode. Can't wait for the next one on tuesday.

Be Seeing You,
David Blackwell

WayneG

Stunt Coordinator
Any chance Jack fired a blank and pushed Chapelle over? I guess not.

I'm amazed the President would go along with this. Now the U.S. is open season for terrorists. What's next? A demand to kill Jack in the next hour? Or the President? When does it end? I think they made a big mistake. They must realize the demands will get bigger and bigger.

Killing Chapelle was a test. Saunders knew the money trail would lead to a red herring. He knows Jack is the person most likely to catch him and thus the most likely person to kill. I'm surprised Jack didn't figure that out.

I'm glad we only have to wait until tomorrow. I don't think I could hold out for a week.

GLOBAL TV viewers - did you notice a lot of pixelization on Rogers regular cable last night?

John Watson

Screenwriter
Pretty dramatic. What an awful choice. Good suggestions about Jack eventually saying "This is for Ryan Chapelle you motherufker"

Saunders may reassure his assistant, but when I've seen how many of his minions have already been tossed, torched, blown up, taken out, I know I wouldn't have taken a job with him :D

On a much lighter note, does anything think Jack could not have let Ryan have a smoke inside the CTU building? :)

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
Any Alias viewers here.......

Did you notice that President Palmer's favorite/top/whatever Secret Service guy (the one with the reddish hair...I forget his name) made an appearance on Alias as a government type.....

Very cool. Here's hoping there is a real 24/Alias crossover.....maybe Sydney will get some Rimbaldi to Jack who will get it into the hotel and miraculously save everyone........

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I hope that Jack had Chapelle swallow some sort of tracer before getting to the train yard. He should probably have multiple methods to get more clues from this. He can't just be relying on satellite surveillance of the van. If his death doesn't buy them anything I'll be very disappointed. Of course, Saunders might just blow up that van anyway.

I really thought they were going to try to fake his death somehow.

Neil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks