Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

'FINAL FANTASY' dvd, absolutely INCREDIBLE!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
249 replies to this topic

#1 of 250 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted October 22 2001 - 05:08 AM

All I can say is WOW! Final Fantasy The Spirits Within is an incredible movie, and an outstanding dvd as well. I don't understand why or how this film did not do well at the box office! Posted Image

Make no mistake, when you watch this film, your witnessing history, pure and simple. Their are times in this film when you REALLY do forget your watching a completly CGI movie and charactors, especially the charactor of 'Aki', she was so warm, and believable, with real emotions and feelings! Human beings in films are in big trouble if this type of filmmaking keeps up.

I don't really know much about the game, but I didn't need to to enjoy this movie, the story is completly contained in the film, and it's not necessary for you to have played the game to understand what's going on.

IMHO, it's on par with some of the greatest works of sci-fi on film ever, including Star Wars, T2, Jurassic Park and The Matrix!

The extras on the disc are plentiful, and often times, quite funny, be sure to look for the 'Micheal Jacksons Thriller' parody, with Aki, Grey, and the rest mimiking in precise movement the dance sequence from Micheal Jackson's classic video! Their is also a very funny 'Joke Reel', where you get to see 'Aki' with a STOP sign sticking out of her head!

I could go on and on, but if your interested in one hell of a good film and an even better dvd, Final Fantasy is a must for your dvd collection. Still, I am perplexed as to how such a fantastic piece of entertainment could do so poorly at the box office!?! Posted Image Posted Image

------------------
God bless the USA and the men and woman of our military and their families!

[Edited last by John Williamson on October 22, 2001 at 12:20 PM]
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#2 of 250 OFFLINE   Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor

• 564 posts

Posted October 22 2001 - 05:20 AM

Quote:
I could go on and on, but if your interested in one hell of a good film and an even better dvd, Final Fantasy is a must for your dvd collection. Still, I am perplexed as to how such a fantastic piece of entertainment could do so poorly at the box office!?!
Well, I was not so enamoured with this movie, but I have ordered the DVD anyway mainly for the extras.

------------------
Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!
Check out my switched Dual Boot DVD Player Hack.

#3 of 250 OFFLINE   Daniel L

Daniel L

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts

Posted October 22 2001 - 05:51 AM

"Still, I am perplexed as to how such a fantastic piece of entertainment could do so poorly at the box office!?!"

Well... I saw this film in the first week. The theater I went to was half full and what people were there were walking out and/or falling asleep, myself included. You can't build up strong word of mouth that way.

Maybe it plays better on TV...

Daniel L

#4 of 250 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts

Posted October 22 2001 - 05:55 AM

Daniel L, people were walking out and falling asleep!?! Posted Image

Just curious, but did you see the same film I did? Posted Image

------------------

#5 of 250 OFFLINE   Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter

• 1,300 posts

Posted October 22 2001 - 06:01 AM

I love this movie, and the DVD is outstanding.
Quality-wise, it's reference material, and the extra features are quite interesting.

------------------
~ Stud. Polyt. ~ Artur Meinild ~

A r t u r M e i n i l d
People Strategy Consultant (M.Sc. Eng.)Semi-professional Composer & Musician

#6 of 250 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,041 posts

Posted October 22 2001 - 06:02 AM

Quote:
. I don't understand why or how this film did not do well at the box office!

Well, did YOU see it at the theater?

#7 of 250 OFFLINE   Oswald Pascual

Oswald Pascual

Second Unit

• 300 posts

Posted October 22 2001 - 06:09 AM

quote:
Well... I saw this film in the first week. The theater I went to was half full and what people were there were walking out and/or falling asleep, myself included. [/quote]

Same here! Boring! Love what they accomplished with the CGI but it was all effort in CGI and none in the story. It's a shame because this is a major leap forward in this type of movie technology. Hopefully we will see it again in a movie that can keep our interest longer. This is a real snoozer.

------------------
My Home Theater
Posted Image
My DVD Collection Home Theater Pics
Ozzie

[Edited last by Oswald Pascual on October 22, 2001 at 07:51 PM]

#8 of 250 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts

Posted October 22 2001 - 06:10 AM

Did I see it at the theater?

Ummmm, no. Posted Image

But believe me I wanted to. I really hate going to the movies by myself, and my friend and I wanted to go, but the opprotunity never presented itself. But I really do regret it now.

------------------

[Edited last by John Williamson on October 22, 2001 at 01:12 PM]

#9 of 250 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted October 22 2001 - 06:22 AM

The problem is that it's a very Japanese film, and most Americans don't have patience for their style of drama
The movie did have problems, but it was a solid 2.5-3 stars

Jeff Kleist

#10 of 250 OFFLINE   Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor

• 506 posts

Posted October 22 2001 - 06:39 AM

Count me in as falling alseep at the theater. I felt that the story had already been used. It was like Parasite Eve the video game and The Fifth Element tied into one. Granted the CG was good I just felt I had already seen the story.

#11 of 250 OFFLINE   Brad M

Brad M

Second Unit

• 499 posts

Posted October 22 2001 - 06:41 AM

My problem was with the fact that everytime I heard Donald Sutherland his face would pop in my head. It just threw me out of the story every time his character spoke.
Don't make me hungry. You wouldn't like me when I'm hungry.

#12 of 250 OFFLINE   Mike Russell

Mike Russell

Agent

• 48 posts

Posted October 22 2001 - 06:47 AM

I had such high hopes for this flick, but alas I to was somewhat let down. The CGI was outstanding, but the story was somewhat tired and predictable. The facial animation also didn't quite do it for me either. Granted, no one has been able to create a photo realistic CGI human until now, but the faces didn't really convey emotion well, IMO. Take a look at shreck, the facial animation there is top notch.

------------------
Be as gentle with the faults of others as you are with your own - Egg Shen.

Be as gentle with the faults of others as you are with your own - Egg Shen.

#13 of 250 OFFLINE   Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,161 posts

Posted October 22 2001 - 06:58 AM

I saw this film the day it came out, and even if you didn't like it, you can agree that it was the best videogame based film ever (some say Mortal Kombat, but the story was messed up and ruined the sequel).

If you want to say that this film was all visuals and no story, then what would the Matrix be without its visuals? It would just be an OK story with a crap presentation. When you see a movie, you see everything about it, not just the story. If story was the only important thing, then most movies would suck.

I loved this movie. Can't wait to get my copy.

#14 of 250 OFFLINE   Richard Kim

Richard Kim

Producer

• 4,389 posts

Posted October 22 2001 - 07:05 AM

Quote:
My problem was with the fact that everytime I heard Donald Sutherland his face would pop in my head. It just threw me out of the story every time his character spoke.

I thought the exact same thing about Alec Baldwin's voice. It was real wierd since his character looked like Ben Affleck.

I also thought it strange that Steve Bucsemi's character was actually handsome. Posted Image

#15 of 250 OFFLINE   Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd

Screenwriter

• 1,715 posts

Posted October 22 2001 - 07:13 AM

I enjoyed this film a lot. It certainly wasn't up there with THE MATRIX or STAR WARS, but it was a perfectly satisfying popcorn flick. The visuals were quite stunning and I look forward to the development of the technology used in the film. I'll rent it for the extras, but I'm po' right now and have to pick and choose what I buy.
---------------------------------------------
Support Film Preservation before it's too late!
---------------------------------------------

#16 of 250 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted October 22 2001 - 08:03 AM

The movie is growing on me. The first time I saw it in the cinema, it was a 6/10 for me but now it is up to a solid 7/10. The DVD does it credit.

------------------
Neil's H.T. Site
(gateway to H.T.Links + movie images)

Posted ImagePosted Image
------------------
My Favourite Movie

Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"

#17 of 250 OFFLINE   Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky

Producer

• 3,740 posts

Posted October 22 2001 - 09:30 AM

Quote:
...especially the charactor of 'Aki'

She looked great. But I think I would give the edge to Donald Sutherland's character - I felt he looked more natural (although a good point was made above about his voice being to recognizable).

Quote:
I also thought it strange that Steve Bucsemi's character was actually handsome.

He looked suspiciously like Jason Priestly. Posted Image

I'm looking forward to picking up this disc tomorrow.

------------------
--Jay

"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."

My Home Theatre Pictures...

"You're no messiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

"The computer had attained consciousness, only to reject it, claiming it was too unstable an operating system."

#18 of 250 OFFLINE   Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor

• 628 posts

Posted October 22 2001 - 10:50 AM

I saw it on an IMAX Screen!

I'm getting the DVD Tomorrow... Neighbor Torture Time again... (Then again, if they didn't call the cops during the pod race, I can watch anything right?)
My DVDs | My Equipment
No OAR = No Sale!
If you don't want black bars, then you don't want DVD!

#19 of 250 OFFLINE   Robert Floto

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted October 22 2001 - 10:59 AM

I saw Final Fantasy in the theatre with three friends during the opening weekend.

I was completely amazed at the quality of what I was seeing on the screen, but found the plot completely uninteresting. My friends more than agreed, and thought that the film just dragged...

As many of you know, I work as a digital animator, and as such I more than appreciate the level of the technology put forth in this film...and I'd love to see the supplemental features on this DVD, but would never sit through the film again, and could not possibly imagine actually purchasing it...

Maybe I'll rent it for the extras.

------------------
Posted Image

Movies I would purchase instantly if they were available in their correct aspect ratio:
Death Trap, Innocent Blood, The Shadow, and Remo Williams

#20 of 250 OFFLINE   Thi Them

Thi Them

Producer

• 3,650 posts

Posted October 22 2001 - 11:24 AM

Final Fantasy continues to surprise me. Just when I thought I knew everything about the story and visuals (I saw it 3 times in the theater), I find out something new in the visuals that relates to the story.

Spoiler:

I heared that the Japanese commentary mentions that the dream sequences are progressively desaturated to show that Aki Ross is getting closer to death.

I love this movie! 1 more day until the DVD!

~T

[Edited last by Thi Them on October 22, 2001 at 10:07 PM]

Back to Archived Threads 2001-2004

Forum Nav Content I Follow