What's new

HTF REVIEW: Planet Of The Apes (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
22244.jpg

Planet Of The Apes

Most of what needs to be said about my
personal thoughts on this film can be read
in my http://www.hometheaterforum.com/sneak/apes.html
Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
Circa 2000
Home Theater Forum Administrator
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
Email Packy [email protected]

SteveBjr

Stunt Coordinator
I'll definately be picking this DVD up...i haven't seen the movie yet but i'm sure it'll be worth it just for all the extras. I've heard mixed opinions on the movie itself. Can't wait to pick it up.
------------------
Steve,
DVD Collection

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Ron, thanks for the info! I never caught this one in theaters and was on the fence about watching it all. Needless to say, judging from your love of the original, you've swayed me to a rental at least on the new version.
If anything, this disc sounds like reference material! (Now if only we can get the original POTA R1 anamorphic).
Joseph

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Looks like another top notch release from Fox. I, like Ron thought this new version was missing something compared to the originals, but it was still a very entertaining film nonetheless. I can't wait to fire Apes up in my home in 5.1.
J
------------------
Don't be a luddy-duddy! Don't be a mooncalf! Don't be a jabbernowl!

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
looks like another great release by Fox... I will have to pick this one up.
One question Ron... is the case double-wide (ALA Big Trouble in Little China) or single-wide (ALA Cast Away)?
Thanks
biggrin.gif

------------------
robpic2.jpg

My DVD Collection/ AIM: roblutter/ email:[email protected]
"Why, that's the biggest Kahn since Genghis" -Sealab 2021

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Great review! I had seen this in the theater and was indifferent. You've definitely promted this to a rental at least.

Blu

Screenwriter
I completely agree, the new POTA lacked a something I just can't put my finger on it....wait....wait....OH YEAH! A PLOT, Interesting writing, direction, substance, unpredictablity, freshness........
I doubt if the extras on the DVD can compensate THAT much.

Brad_W

Screenwriter
I thought Tim Burton's version was good and entertaing (I will buy it on DVD), BUT this is what I didn't like when strictly comparing it to the original:
1. The original film had more to do with science and especially religion. Burton's film barely touched this at all. Best scene from the original: Hear no evil, Speak no evil, See no evil.
2. Burton's film felt more like an action film rather than a serious social commentary.
3. What happened to Cornelius!?!
Of course, Burton's film viewed as a seperate film and not a remake would void this opinion. However, that is hard to do. I enjoyed Burton's ending (I won't open that can o' worms again. I learn from mistakes!) and his use of trickery towards the end for all us POTA-ers definately got me.
My opinion.
------------------
"I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
My List O' DVDs:
Link Removed
[Edited last by Brad_W on November 01, 2001 at 08:17 PM]

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I might buy apes "used" when BlockBuster has 50 used copies to sell and when they are marked down to 9.99. I wouldn't pay more for it.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
There's no way I'm gonna end up buying this at retail. As with Final Fantasy, I just can no longer justify buying a DVD of a sucky film just because the audio, video, and supplements are top notch.

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
I enjoyed this movie, but agree that it was hardly a landmark film like the original. I "re-imagined" about 70% of the original and did not add much else. I agree that most of it felt like it was filmed on a couple of soundstages. Sorry, but most audiences are seeing through all of the comic book movie adaptions and taking the POTA film in this direction is definitely a step backward in film making. Watching this movie made me ask whether Burton pocketed half of the production money. Even the scenes in space felt cheaply done. Waterworld, for example, would not have been considered a dud if they cut the production cost down to a soundstage instead of building a real city in the ocean. But, POTA is already on land and REAL treas are readily available. Even filming it at Disney's "Jungle Cruise" would have looked a lot more authentic.
All of this aside, I thought this was Burton's least visionary film. It felt very straight forward and nothing like his previous movies. I can't help but wonder how much better it would have been as a Emmerich/Devlin movie.
Elbert

Luis A

Second Unit
I have not seen POTA yet and I'm very excited to be getting it on dvd soon. Even with mixed reviews I'm sure it will live up to my expectations. I will not go into this movie comparing it to the original, that would be a mistake IMO. I'm anxious to hear the DTS mix in my theater, so POTA will be a definite purchase. Thanks for the review Ron. :)
L

Hakan Powers

Stunt Coordinator
I had the opportunity, together with Ron and about 40 more people, to screen POTA at Fox during our California meet.
I can safely say that I agree with Ron about the transfer of this movie to DVD. It is one of, if not the, most gorgeous transfers I've ever seen.
"Film like" only begins to describe it.
------------------
My movies
HTF AFI Top 100 Challenge: 71 70 69 68 films remaining.
Next Up: The Sound of Music
The Price of freedom is eternal vigilance - Thomas Jefferson

Coressel

Supporting Actor
Is there any mention or description in the extras of this disc of the alleged "alternate endings" that were rumored before the film was released?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Wow. It seems like the bar is being raised almost on a weekly basis with the arrival of the latest new releases. I am one of those that loved the old movies and I also love this one as well. I will definitely add this to my collection.
------------------
Link Removed
------------------
My Favourite DVD's

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Although this film was lacking, I love Burton, and think it's a wonderful film to look at. I'd be buying the film just to complete my Burton collection, but in addition, it's a Fox DVD with a great transfer and some excellent features. I'll enjoy this one.
------------------
Rationality is not a commodity which is evenly distributed.
Thank you Sci-Fi channel for Season 6 of Stargate SG-1
View SpaceDog's DVD Collection

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks