Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

initial help w/ setting crossovers on speakers

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   calvin_b

calvin_b

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted April 16 2004 - 08:06 PM

hi,

i have an onkyo ht-r500 that has only 3 crossover settings: 80, 100, and 120.

my speakers are a jlb nsp1-II system. these satellites seem bigger than i assumed. almost the size of bookshelves. i also have a polk psw303 subwoofer.

i plan on playing around w/ the settings, but where is a good place i can start w/.... maybe even something i can keep it at. set it at 80hz on the receiver and 100 on the sub? thanks.

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   ColinM

ColinM

Screenwriter

• 2,057 posts

Posted April 17 2004 - 12:39 AM

Try everything. You have nothing to lose...

Even try running them large, Sub = LR+LFE. You never know what will sound good. But you may settle on 80 for the JBL's and 60ish for the sub...
You call that a knife?

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   ScottCHI

ScottCHI

Screenwriter

• 1,292 posts

Posted April 17 2004 - 02:37 AM

if you're using the receiver's crossover, then the sub's crossover should either be bypassed altogether or set as high as possible.
"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

• 1,868 posts

Posted April 17 2004 - 03:26 AM

Quote:
...where is a good place i can start w/.... maybe even something i can keep it at. set it at 80hz on the receiver and 100 on the sub?

80Hz for the AV Receiver is a good start, but if you can, I concur w/ScottCHI recommendation and turn-off the Sub's x-over if you can. If your Polk sub does not have a off (bypass) switch for the x-over then, ... dial that knob to its MAX setting. Hopefully, that will keep it from interfering** with your Onkyo x-over.

**HT Magazine ('97-'98? by Brent Butterworh) proved that when the sub and AV Receiver x-over are operating close to each other, the sub frequency blend to the speakers were no-where near the ideal ±3.5 dB blend but in all cases it was -10.5 dB or more creating quite a frequency hole (dip)!!!

Phil
My HT Enthusiasts Google Website
---- Toshiba 62HM196 62" 1080p DLP HDTV pic's (#1 in Consumer Reports)
DVD Aficionado (DVDAF) on-going list.
Acquisition Rule #59 “Free advice is seldom cheap.” (Quark @ DS9)
JBL S-Series + SVS 25-31PCi (SN: 00034) w/NSD Upgrade!

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   calvin_b

calvin_b

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted April 17 2004 - 06:31 AM

thanks guys! im going to get an SPL meter some time this weekend and get things squared away.