Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Energy Take 5.2 versus HSU Ventriloquist VT-12

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 MikeLG

MikeLG

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted April 16 2004 - 03:32 AM

Hi everyone, I'm looking to buy a small speaker system for my apartment, which doesn't have a lot of room so I'm looking for speakers that I can mount on the walls/ceilings. The couch is againt a wall and with all the furniture, there's not a whole lot of room of floor-standing speakers or stands (otherwise I was looking at the Fluance SX-HTB system). The receiver I have is the Onkyo TX-SR501.

I've searched through all the forums and am trying to decide between the HSU Ventriloquist VT-12 system with the STF-1 sub and the Energy Take 5.2 system with the 8.2 sub. I'm looking for a HTIB solution just to make things easier on me. Does anyone have any experience with both of these speaker packages? Are there any reviews that compare the two? Your input is greatly appreciated.

Mike

#2 of 7 JeanVanDam

JeanVanDam

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted April 16 2004 - 03:36 AM

My friend just bought the Energy Take 5.2, we're still setting it up (with the help of this board). I'll come back and let you know, in the Demo room they sounded great.Posted Image

#3 of 7 MikeLG

MikeLG

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted April 16 2004 - 07:12 AM

Two more questions:

1) If I do decide on the Energy Take 5.2 system, where can I buy it? I've noticed a couple places online that have the complete system + subwoofer for sale for around $650, but they're in NY and I'm in NY which means pricey sales tax. Is there any good retailer outside of NY that doesn't charge an arm and a leg for shipping? Pricing the HSU systems is easy, because you can buy directly from their web site... but Energy makes it a little more difficult to compare prices.

2) Can the Take 5.2 satellites easily be mounted to the wall or ceiling? I believe they come with everything you need to mount them, right?

#4 of 7 JeanVanDam

JeanVanDam

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted April 16 2004 - 08:36 AM

thegoodguys.com try there, and yes I think they are capable of being mounted. Overall great great speakers!! If you do buy them you won't be disappointed.Posted Image

#5 of 7 Alex-F-V

Alex-F-V

Stunt Coordinator

• 81 posts

Posted April 16 2004 - 09:39 AM

I own the 5.2's and love them.... the biggest flaw is that all 4 satallites coming with great wall mounting set ups built in tilting and turning. Posted Image

But the center channel has none of this and has no built in hardware to wall mount it. So the solution is to put it on the TV (most likely solution) or on a shelf or media center. I'm not sure what kind of brackets out there work on center channels.

#6 of 7 Debbie_L

Debbie_L

Stunt Coordinator

• 79 posts

Posted April 16 2004 - 04:31 PM

Mike,

CNET did a review of several home theater speaker systems recently, including the Hsu and Energy systems you asked about. I couldn't find the link to the group review (it went out with the trash in my inbox after I read it), but below are the links to about half of the individual systems reviews from the CNET article.

http://reviews.cnet.....?tag=pdtl-list
http://reviews.cnet.....7.html?tag=dir
http://reviews.cnet.....1.html?tag=dir
http://reviews.cnet.....0.html?tag=dir

I own the Polk RM6700 system (available at Circuit City stores and online) and prefer it to the Energy Take 5.2 system -- I've auditioned both. Can't comment on the Hsu system as I've not heard it. I feel the Polks have an overall fuller, more dynamic sound than the Energy's -- and they definitely are capable of playing louder before the sounds starts to degrade.

Also check out Athena Technologies speakers sold by Best Buy. Good sound and they come with nifty mounting brackets included. Best Buy is also offering an online-only Athena system that I've not heard, but it looks good on paper and includes mounting brackets -- see the link below.

http://www.bestbuy.c....oryId=cat03049

Good luck in your search and enjoy your auditions!

#7 of 7 Dave Nelms

Dave Nelms

Stunt Coordinator

• 82 posts

Posted April 17 2004 - 03:59 AM

Take some time to look into the Hsu ventriloquist system. I demoed thid system when looking for a new subwoofer and was very impressed.

Dollars to doughnuts you will get a better subwoofer if you go with the Hsu sysytem for about the same price (actually less than the price you quoted) you can include the STF-1 sub, or add a few bucks more and get a very good sub (STF-2) in the deal. The ventriloqust also is a 6 speaker system that adds a center rear speaker from a 5.1 receiver.

I currently use Energy speakers in my home theater and they are great, but there subs just cannot compare the the Hsu.