-

Photo
- - - - -

The WB's Superstar USA, American Anti-Idol

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
52 replies to this topic

#1 of 53 OFFLINE   Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter

• 1,887 posts

Posted April 15 2004 - 09:22 AM

Do you loathe American Idol?
Maybe you think this year's group stinks?
Or is William Hung your real Idol?

Then this is the show for you.

Quote:

Like Idol, Superstar features a panel of three judges--rapper Tone-Loc, popster Vitamin C and the prickly Chris Briggs serving as the show's version of Simon Cowell (Briggs is also one of its producers).

But unlike Idol's judges, these three mock the vocally gifted while Paula Abduling the truly tune-challenged. The judges will do so with straight faces, since the idea is that the show is more of a joke than talent contest.

Quote:
The Frog net, looking to spoof Fox's mega-popular talent contest, has recruited Bachelor/Bachelorette mastermind Mike Fleiss to launch Superstar USA, a competition showcasing the worst American musical talent.

Instead of rewarding performing prowess, Superstar takes its skewed cue from such reality predecessors as Joe Millionaire, Average Joe and My Big Fat Obnoxious Fianc, with the joke being on the contestants.

"These people believe they're the next pop superstar, even though they're horrible singers," Fleiss tells Variety. "It's not funny seeing bad singers doing karaoke. This is about people who are clearly delusional and watching them butcher song after song."

Yahoo story

Chris

#2 of 53 ONLINE   JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,516 posts

Posted May 15 2004 - 01:52 PM

I actually want to watch this Monday night, and see how this plays out.

actually want to see it for when they tell the winner(loser) that its one big joke.

all-banner.jpg

#3 of 53 OFFLINE   MattGentry

MattGentry

Second Unit

• 257 posts

Posted May 15 2004 - 07:21 PM

I don't think this is a very well-done series.

I listened to an interview from one of contestants brothers (who was in the audience of one of the episodes). They also listed a few news stories about it as well. The interview/news story said that in order to get people to clap for the contestants and not boo them, the producers told the audience members that the contestants were "Make-a-Wish" kids and that this was their wish, so applaud a lot.

That is just wrong...

#4 of 53 OFFLINE   Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts

Posted May 17 2004 - 03:14 PM

Watched it tonight. It was pretty funny over all. The worst was probably them telling the actual good singers that were very polite and nice that they sucked. The main judge guy did say after one of those situations that that was just wrong.

I do want to see the end result but not sure if I will remember to catch this one. Anyone know how many episodes they have planned?

#5 of 53 OFFLINE   Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald

Screenwriter

• 2,641 posts

Posted May 17 2004 - 03:44 PM

That's just horrible... I'm so sick for wanting to watch.

#6 of 53 OFFLINE   danak

danak

Second Unit

• 334 posts

Posted May 26 2004 - 09:30 AM

Is anyone still watching this? I normally don't like to watch reality shows that are mean to people, but this is just hilarious. These contestants are so full of themselves! The show is doing it with such humor (especially in telling the good singers they weren't wanted) that I can't resist watching.

I don't know how many episodes there are, but now that the final 12 have been chosen, they will kick off 4 after the first performance, so it shouldn't be more than 8 more episodes, if that (and I think it will be on once a week, on Tues?)

Has anyone been able to figure out what the Mexican lady (Rosa?) was singing in her audition? It sounded like the first part was "Hollywood..."

Dana

#7 of 53 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,753 posts

Posted May 26 2004 - 10:44 AM

I think there are 7 episodes in total, and 4 have already been shown.

I still can't believe these contestants really think they can sing. Anyone that out of touch with reality deserves the ridicule they are being subjected to on the show.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#8 of 53 OFFLINE   Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter

• 1,887 posts

Posted May 26 2004 - 02:25 PM

This show is great!! Like the best train wreck ever Posted Image

Chris

#9 of 53 OFFLINE   danak

danak

Second Unit

• 334 posts

Posted May 26 2004 - 03:11 PM

This show could easily continue on as the Anti-American Idol, showcasing really bad singers who think way too highly of themselves. On the other hand, part of the appeal of the show (ok, the greatest appeal) is that the singers don't know that they are being voted forward because they are so bad. It might not work too well if everyone knows the premise and the humor of the contestants being told they're good when they aren't would no longer be there.

Dana

#10 of 53 OFFLINE   Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts

Posted May 26 2004 - 06:02 PM

Loving it so far. I can't wait to see the look on a couple of their faces. Some I don't think deserve it, they just thought someone actually liked their singing so they are going with it. Others like that 'diva' girl that does all the kicks. Now I can't wait to see her face, or the one that wrote the lyrics on her hands. Some fun fun stuff coming. Posted Image

#11 of 53 OFFLINE   danak

danak

Second Unit

• 334 posts

Posted May 26 2004 - 10:40 PM

The problem I have with the recent episode where they cut 4 is that they didn't show us why the judges were cutting those particular 4. Were they not quite bad enough, didn't show enough personality, or something else?

That was a pretty hilariously bad sing-off, though one or two of them didn't sound half bad.

Dana

#12 of 53 OFFLINE   Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter

• 1,887 posts

Posted May 26 2004 - 11:54 PM

Quote:
That was a pretty hilariously bad sing-off, though one or two of them didn't sound half bad.

And they let one of them through. The first guy was nowhere near as bad as the others, but he went through. I would have rather seen Frank "the male Britney Spears" continue. I'm glad they got rid of the "Anglo Assasin" he was just boring.

The best part of this show by far are Brigg's comments.

Chris

#13 of 53 OFFLINE   Michael Hughes

Michael Hughes

Second Unit

• 369 posts

Posted May 27 2004 - 12:48 AM

Like Joe Millionaire, this is a 1 and done concept, but its a fun diversion, becuase unlike Idol, this show knows they are full of crap.

For that reason, its fun, but cruel at the same time.

As Nick Lowe would said, You gotta be Cruel to be kind...

#14 of 53 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,753 posts

Posted May 27 2004 - 02:17 AM

I don't know how McFayden can keep a straight face when he's "interviewing" the contestants/suckers" after each performance.

#15 of 53 OFFLINE   Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts

Posted May 27 2004 - 03:42 AM

So even though this is all a joke, will the winner still get the $100k and record deal?

#16 of 53 OFFLINE   Dave Gilbert

Dave Gilbert

Second Unit

• 327 posts

Posted May 27 2004 - 04:32 AM

I just started watching this, but the thing I'm most impressed with is the comic timing of Vitamin C. I'm not a fan of her music, but she's pretty funny.

"Isn't it hard?" Posted Image

#17 of 53 OFFLINE   PhilipG

PhilipG

Screenwriter

• 2,003 posts

Posted May 27 2004 - 06:03 AM

I shouldn't be enjoying this but I am. The judges are great, and should move over to replace the ones on Pop Idol.

However I am extremely sick and tired of the same old "We lied to you..." clip being shown.

In the latest episode, I wondered if there aren't a couple of stooges there to spice up the show. Nina Diva for one, the guy with the beret another...

The only problem with the format is that they can't reveal the show's secret to the people they kick off early. I'd have loved to see some of the reaction shots of the four that didn't make it when told the truth.

#18 of 53 OFFLINE   Dave Gorman

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor

• 537 posts

Posted May 27 2004 - 08:42 AM

Quote:
The problem I have with the recent episode where they cut 4 is that they didn't show us why the judges were cutting those particular 4.
Agreed, I would have like to hear their rationale.

Quote:
thing I'm most impressed with is the comic timing of Vitamin C
I don't think I've ever heard any of her music, but I'm really getting a kick out of her comedy!

Quote:
However I am extremely sick and tired of the same old "We lied to you..." clip being shown
Most definitely overdone...

All in all I'm really getting a kick out of this! A few of the bad singers have seemed too nice to really ridicule properly. As long as they weed out any "nice" people and just keep the cocky, arrogant types, it'll be fun to see their downfall!
...And then there's the guy who saw the sign that said "Wet Floor", so he did.

#19 of 53 OFFLINE   danak

danak

Second Unit

• 334 posts

Posted May 27 2004 - 09:55 AM

Jason said:
Quote:
So even though this is all a joke, will the winner still get the $100k and record deal?

Unless they're lying to the audience as well, it sounds like they really mean to give the winner a record deal and the money. It's not so impossible to believe since William Hung got a record deal

I just bet the winner will be angry or sad for a minute, then be happy he or she is still getting the record deal.

Dana

#20 of 53 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,753 posts

Posted May 31 2004 - 01:33 PM

It's now down to 8, and 4 (I think) are going home tonight.

Tonight's performances so far have set the bar so low, I have no idea who they could cut because they all bring something awful to the table. I don't envy the judges tonight.

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow