What's new

The WB's Superstar USA, American Anti-Idol (2 Viewers)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I actually want to watch this Monday night, and see how this plays out.

actually want to see it for when they tell the winner(loser) that its one big joke.

MattGentry

Second Unit
I don't think this is a very well-done series.

I listened to an interview from one of contestants brothers (who was in the audience of one of the episodes). They also listed a few news stories about it as well. The interview/news story said that in order to get people to clap for the contestants and not boo them, the producers told the audience members that the contestants were "Make-a-Wish" kids and that this was their wish, so applaud a lot.

That is just wrong...

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Watched it tonight. It was pretty funny over all. The worst was probably them telling the actual good singers that were very polite and nice that they sucked. The main judge guy did say after one of those situations that that was just wrong.

I do want to see the end result but not sure if I will remember to catch this one. Anyone know how many episodes they have planned?

danak

Second Unit
Is anyone still watching this? I normally don't like to watch reality shows that are mean to people, but this is just hilarious. These contestants are so full of themselves! The show is doing it with such humor (especially in telling the good singers they weren't wanted) that I can't resist watching.

I don't know how many episodes there are, but now that the final 12 have been chosen, they will kick off 4 after the first performance, so it shouldn't be more than 8 more episodes, if that (and I think it will be on once a week, on Tues?)

Has anyone been able to figure out what the Mexican lady (Rosa?) was singing in her audition? It sounded like the first part was "Hollywood..."

Dana

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think there are 7 episodes in total, and 4 have already been shown.

I still can't believe these contestants really think they can sing. Anyone that out of touch with reality deserves the ridicule they are being subjected to on the show.

danak

Second Unit
This show could easily continue on as the Anti-American Idol, showcasing really bad singers who think way too highly of themselves. On the other hand, part of the appeal of the show (ok, the greatest appeal) is that the singers don't know that they are being voted forward because they are so bad. It might not work too well if everyone knows the premise and the humor of the contestants being told they're good when they aren't would no longer be there.

Dana

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Loving it so far. I can't wait to see the look on a couple of their faces. Some I don't think deserve it, they just thought someone actually liked their singing so they are going with it. Others like that 'diva' girl that does all the kicks. Now I can't wait to see her face, or the one that wrote the lyrics on her hands. Some fun fun stuff coming. :D

danak

Second Unit
The problem I have with the recent episode where they cut 4 is that they didn't show us why the judges were cutting those particular 4. Were they not quite bad enough, didn't show enough personality, or something else?

That was a pretty hilariously bad sing-off, though one or two of them didn't sound half bad.

Dana

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter

And they let one of them through. The first guy was nowhere near as bad as the others, but he went through. I would have rather seen Frank "the male Britney Spears" continue. I'm glad they got rid of the "Anglo Assasin" he was just boring.

The best part of this show by far are Brigg's comments.

Chris

Michael Hughes

Second Unit
Like Joe Millionaire, this is a 1 and done concept, but its a fun diversion, becuase unlike Idol, this show knows they are full of crap.

For that reason, its fun, but cruel at the same time.

As Nick Lowe would said, You gotta be Cruel to be kind...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I don't know how McFayden can keep a straight face when he's "interviewing" the contestants/suckers" after each performance.

Dave Gilbert

Second Unit
I just started watching this, but the thing I'm most impressed with is the comic timing of Vitamin C. I'm not a fan of her music, but she's pretty funny.

"Isn't it hard?" :D

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
I shouldn't be enjoying this but I am. The judges are great, and should move over to replace the ones on Pop Idol.

However I am extremely sick and tired of the same old "We lied to you..." clip being shown.

In the latest episode, I wondered if there aren't a couple of stooges there to spice up the show. Nina Diva for one, the guy with the beret another...

The only problem with the format is that they can't reveal the show's secret to the people they kick off early. I'd have loved to see some of the reaction shots of the four that didn't make it when told the truth.

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
Most definitely overdone...

All in all I'm really getting a kick out of this! A few of the bad singers have seemed too nice to really ridicule properly. As long as they weed out any "nice" people and just keep the cocky, arrogant types, it'll be fun to see their downfall!

danak

Second Unit
Jason said:

Unless they're lying to the audience as well, it sounds like they really mean to give the winner a record deal and the money. It's not so impossible to believe since William Hung got a record deal

I just bet the winner will be angry or sad for a minute, then be happy he or she is still getting the record deal.

Dana

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It's now down to 8, and 4 (I think) are going home tonight.

Tonight's performances so far have set the bar so low, I have no idea who they could cut because they all bring something awful to the table. I don't envy the judges tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks