What's new

How do you like your HD-DVD: paper or plastic? (1 Viewer)

Robert Franklin

Stunt Coordinator
That is interesting. Given a choice, which would be more durable over time. Have these two companies taken that into account? I know some people are experiencing problems with laser rot on some dvds; but doesn't paper lost integrity over time? If you have a piece of paper that is ten years old, doesn't it look brown instead of white? And isn't it easier to tear? So, I know there are some concerns about plastic having an effect on the enviornment, but I would like to see more details and information before I could make an intelligent choice.

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit
according to one recycling plant in Australia, recycling plastic is cheaper and require much less energy than recycling paper. Thus, plastic is actually more environmentally friendly than paper.

In a dumping area, plastic or paper is not making any difference, there is a shortage of oxygen and water anyway so paper can't bio-degrade just like plastic.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Sounds like a bad idea to me, but it's probably cheaper to produce and will have to be re-purchased much more, so of course Sony will push it hard.

I WANT my DVD's to outlive the human race.

If I want Sony to pack my groceries, I'll give them a call.

jonathan_little

Stunt Coordinator
So should we expect these to be about as durable as 8-Track tapes? (i.e. 25-50 plays before it basically self-destructs)

Leave it to Sony to come up with cheap crap like this.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

They give me the choice of paper or plastic, but I'm still waiting for someone to come along and ask me if I want fries with that.

I'm not sure I like this idea, unless we can get a DVD shreadder to go with it cause that would be kinda cool.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
This has got to be about one of the silliest damn things I've ever heard.

I can't believe they're wasting money on this thing.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member

Exactly what purpose does this serve? Plus, it's not like you couldn't melt down a plastic disc...doesn't that also ensure data security? Whatever...seems like yet another cheap scheme in an effort to avoid producing a high quality, long-life HD solution.

Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks