What's new

Merged Seinfeld DVD Thread (includes announcement discussion) (1 Viewer)

Cathy Suzan

Stunt Coordinator
The first season of SEINFELD was only six episodes long, including the Pilot. I believe that it was a mid-season replacement. Anyone have any clues as to how season 1 will be released? I'm a bit curious. Will it be just the six midseason episodes, or will they throw in the next 'regular' season? I'm a little curious.

Mark_Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
There is actually only 4 episodes in Season one plus the pilot. Season two is 12 episodes making a total of 17 in seasons one and two. My guess is that they will release them both in a single set.

Alex K.

Agent
Family Guy had the same problem, but that got solved with volumes. I think this will be the same.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I believe that they will release seasons 1 and 2 in the same package and call it the complete first and second seasons. They being Columbia were going to take the same strategy with News Radio.

Alex Wagner

Stunt Coordinator
do you think they will included on the season 1/2 set the episode from season 3 that was supposed to be in season 2?

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
That doesn't mean it was intended to be in season two. There are a couple of episodes of The Simpsons produced during the 15th season that won't air till the 16th.

DVD season sets usually go by broadcast, not production.

Greg Madsen

Second Unit
Apparently it was intended for season two. There are plot points in the episode that do not make sense when aired in season 3 this is what tv tome has to say: NOTE: This episode was originally going to be broadcast during the second season on 17 Jul 91. Jerry comes on before the broadcast of this episode and explains that it is from the time before George lost his job and he wanted to "let you know, that we know, you know."

I hope they include this episode in season 2. episodes often do not make sense when showed our of production order, like in Curb your Enthusiasm Season 1 where something is refered to before it even happens.

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
This is one show I anxiously waiting for the release on dvd. This is my favorite show and I am hoping for some good stuff in the set.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Generally a show that is produced for a particular season is intended to air that season but may not for various reasons preemptions and what not. Also releasing shows in production order is becoming more common, Futurama is one that is in production order and not season order and that's a very good thing. So, I suspect that it will be included with season 2 if that's when it was intended to air, but I could be wrong.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Firefly is in the correct production order (albeit, one change by Joss Whedon for storytelling reasons, and I believe Objects In Space was always intended to air as last anyways...)

Strangers With Candy is another one that appears in production order, as the airdates don't line up with the episodes in order on the set.

I think you can't really do it for all shows though... some retool a concept or an episode BECAUSE they're not going to air correctly.

For example, South Park. The 100th episode was originally titled Cancelled, and it basically said that the earth was a TV show created by aliens, and it wasn't getting high ratings anymore. So they were cancelling it. It was a funny little joke about the show, and how they'd made it to 100.

It aired as number 96 or 97 I believe. So when the episode that AIRED as the 100th episode came on... they had the ending reflect that it was the 100th episode with a bit in the ending song.

So sometimes it's not always black and white.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Yes, but South Park is the acception to a lot of rules...and the animation style they use can allow them to make changes to a show very quickly. Live Action shows are usually taped well in advance of when they actually air, South Park can be animated in a week.

Jean Pazin

Auditioning
Long time reader, first time poster.

Just thought I would let Seinfeld fans know a little bit about some of the features on the upcoming box set. Over here in Australia, Kenny Kramer (who was Larry David's inspiration for the TV version) has been doing a live show all about Seinfeld, which is kind of based on his actual bus tour in New York (which was the inspiration for the Real J Peterman bus tour in the show).

Towards the end of the show, he popped in a DVD (which he said he had just gotten from the studio) which has Kenny Kramer going around New York to all the actual spots that were an influence to the show. The bit we saw was at the the real life Soup Nazi's soup kitchen. The show was perfectly spot on with this guy (except I would say he was even more of a jerk in real life)and everything to how people had to order their food and step over to the side is shown just as it was in the show. Kenny Kramer also asks him what he thinks about the show and what it has done for his business. Let's just say that he thinks very little of the show, Jerry and even the fans and would much prefer that he was never immortalised on TV. I swear I also heard someone order a crab bisque.

The show itself was great and it is was really amazing to find out how many things actually happened in real life that were on the show. As we found out, there actually was a "contest", which Larry David won. I am also now a proud owner of a Vandelay Industries bumper sticker and NYC licence plate that reads "ASSMAN".

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I assumed a lot of it was based partially on fact, but this info about locations and such is just great.

I'm very very excited about this set.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Didn't something like that happen with "The Simpsons" where the episode that was credited as being the 300th was like the 302nd. There was even a joke about it
Marge: How many crazy schemes like this has your father pulled?
Lisa (with a ticker in hand): 300, Mom
Marge: Hmmmmm, I thought it was more like 302.

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
Actually the first season was ONE show, the pilot. The second season was 4 shows. I hope the pilot keeps it's original "The Seinfeld Chronicles" title.

Ike

Screenwriter

The thing with the Simpsons was that the Fox marketing department counted the episodes different than the creators, so which one was exactly 300 was in dispute.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks