What's new

Dick Tracy coming to DVD April 2nd (1 Viewer)

Brett Cameron

Stunt Coordinator
Amazon has this listed for April 2nd at a price of $15. I wonder if it will be the director's cut like Aint It Cool News reported(you always have to take their news with a grain of salt though). Also listed are Three Men And A Little Baby(and it's sequel), and Ruthless People. Seems like Touchstone is finally releasing the rest of it's catalog.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
You forgot two!
Turner & Hooch
I'll take this early Tom Hanks effort, with pleasure.
And...Tin Men.
That's in addition to the ones mentioned above:
  • Dick Tracy
    Ruthless People
    Three Men and a Baby
    Three Men and a Little Lady
(sorry, no D&OiBH)
frown.gif

Amazon shows all 6 of those titles streeting April 2, 2002, for $14.99 each. I too want to see the official announcements, so I can see what the features are. For these prices, I don't expect much, but a good print of the movie in OAR is all I'd want for these guys.
Not a bad turnout. All 6 items just went onto my "wishlist". :)
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!
Do you like TV on DVD? Then check THIS out!
..... http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/ .....
[Edited last by David Lambert on November 17, 2001 at 08:04 AM]

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Here's a cut and paste of a post I made in a thread about Ruthless People in the Studio forum yesterday.
----------------------------------------------------------
I wouldn't put too much confidence in Amazon's listing of that title if I were you. Here's a quote from DVDFile's Studio Day report, from the end of September:
quote: Other live action fare surprisingly not on the way anytime soon are such oft-asked about gems as Ruthless People[/quote]
I find it hard to believe Buena Vista would've changed their tune on that title in about a month and a half, unless DVDFile got wrong information from Disney's rep at Studio Day, but I would believe the above quote more than a listing at Amazon.
http://www.dvdfile.com/news/special_...uenavista.html
---------------------------------------------------------
Also in that report:
quote: Another continued no show is the live action Dick Tracy, which though to in a lackluster version overseas is MIA here. As echoed by other studios with Warren Beatty projects in the pipeline, his involvement is essential, so we can only hope someday soon.[/quote]
I'm just curious as to when Amazon became the most reliable source for DVD release information (when no official announcement has been made).
Bottom line: I don't believe it.
(Note: the above quotes are C&P'ed directly from DVDFile, so any grammatical errors, as in the Dick Tracy quote, are their doing - not mine.)
[Edited last by Scott_J on November 17, 2001 at 11:23 AM]

Brett Cameron

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone remember 3 years ago when Dreamworks said "No Saving Private Ryan dvd anytime soon" then a few months later it was announced? Maybe Disney changed their mind. Amazon also lists these 6 movies for rerelease on VHS on the same day. With low prices for Buena Vista Home Video,rereleased VHS on the same day, it seems that this is part of a new cheaper price line they are promoting. It probably is true.
Also do not expect Dick Tracy to be widescreen- Beatty composed it for a 1.37 ratio, Disney just matted it to 1.85 for theaters.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Count me as EXTREMELY skeptical about this. $20 MSRP from Disney? Titles they just said weren't on the way anytime soon? I hope it's true - I love Ruthless People - but I really doubt it...
------------------
Colin Jacobson
DVD Movie Guide
www.dvdmg.com

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Okay, there's some skepticism here about all this. I don't blame you guys, for the reasons you name.
Just think on this:
Point - True, Sister Act arrived for an SRP of $29.99, but there was also a Sister Act/Sister Act 2 double-pack on the same day for an SRP of $39.99; perhaps this 2-pack signaled a "test" of a price point equivalant to an SRP of $19.99? I know *I* bought the 2-pack!
Point - The guys who said "no way" at Studio Day may have simply been unaware of something. Happens all the time!
Point - Assuming they weren't wrong on Studio Day, then the 4/2/02 release date gives them PLENTY of time, after changing their minds, for a bare-bones release...which the price point suggests. I hope it's not what happenned, because that indicates the use of an existing transfer, rather than something OAR and anamorphic. I hope it's a case of the previous point, that the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing.
Point - The guys on Studio Day might simply have not been at liberty to unveil those plans yet, especially since it might indicate a change in pricepoint strategy.
Point - Why would Amazon post those titles if it's not accurate? I assume they're not out-and-out lying, so where did the info come from? Do you think they just pulled it out of their ass? Does Amazon do that often, on *5* titles?
Sorry, I believe it until proven otherwise!
rolleyes.gif

------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!
Do you like TV on DVD? Then check THIS out!
.....http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/.....

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Due in April...I'm VERY happy it's coming to DVD but I'm a bit nervous about buying it since it's been reported that it'll be a 'movie only' release.
It just seems like this is a title that will get a special edition re-release 6 months later (especially with the rumors of Warren Beatty doing a director's cut.)
Is anyone gonna buy the disc or will you play wait n' see?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I'll play "wait and see" only in that it won't be a gotta-buy-on-street-date release. Coming out the same day - April 2 - is a must-own film for me: Victor/Victoria, as well as 2 new Doctor Who episodes, the first widescreen Vacation series film ever, Exit To Eden, Ruthless People, and the two "Three Men and a..." films.

Dick Tracy isn't as high a priority for me as the others, so I'll see what others think of the quality, and maybe see if an SE shows up down the road. Hey, if I could get a version with Madonna singing "Hanky Panky/You Can Just Spank Me", that would be cool... :b In fact, one of the cool things about the movie is that "Transporter Chief Miles O'Brien" shows up for about 5 seconds as a cop.

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
I don't think Hanky Panky was written for Dick Tracy. It is available on Madonna's "I'm Breathless" cd. The only songs that were written for the movie, by Stephen Sondheim were "Sooner or Later", "More" and "What Can You Lose".

You can see the live version on the Blond Ambition tour Ld.

From what I've been hearing, Warren Beatty wants the movie to be released in a full frame (not pan & scan), to simulate a comic book frame. I know Buena Vista is trying to get all the actors for documentaries and other special features for the disc.

It would be nice if they included all the videos from both the soundtrack (K.D. Lang) and from Madonna's cd.

Jo_C

Second Unit
Wrong. One other song on the "I'm Breathless" album was written for (and used in) Dick Tracy...though not composed by Sondheim, it was called "Now I'm Following You" (the duet with Madonna and Warren Beatty), although a different version appeared in the film.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Yes to the last post. Also, keep in mind that the "I'm Breathless" album is subtitled "Music from & Inspired by the Film DICK TRACY". Madonna, of course, played the character "Breathless Mahoney", who was hanging around Al Pacino's Big Boy Caprice.

My post was tongue-in-cheek concerning that, though. I guess the "blushing smiley" wasnt' enough of a smiley to accentuate the joke.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Looking forward to this one a lot. I'll probably end up purchasing it on release date, but am worried that they're not going to pay enough attention to the transfer. This is such a colorfull movie that it really needs to be paid attention to during authoring.

Brett Cameron

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know any specs on this release? Amazon lists it with a msrp of 19.99 and a street date of 4/2 but has no specs on video/audio formats or special features. The region 2 dvd from what I know is anamorphic widescreen, but Beatty prefers it to be seen full frame since he shot for 1.33 to make it look like a comic strip but the studio made him matte it for theatrical release. The problem is if it is full frame then Disney will probably just use the old master that was created for laserdisc and vhs versions.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
A movie-only release? I thought Dick Tracy was going to be a Vista Series DVD, with a new director's cut of the film and a lot of supplemental material? When did this change? Is the Vista Series release still coming?

Brett Cameron

Stunt Coordinator
The vista series stuff was never officially announced, it was only posted on Aint It Cool News, so it might not be true.

AndrewR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Rubio
The OAR issue is becoming more interesting now. Beatty intended Dick Tracy to be Full Frame. Does that mean when it comes out (and if it comes out Full Frame as the Director wishes) we'll have people complaining/petitioning about it not being released in it's original Theatrical format (such as the current Evil Dead discussions or the Coppola/Apocalyspe Now OAR discussions)?

Creators of the Justice League animated series on Cartoon Network intended the show to be shown in Widescreen (as reported on the Toonzone site) but when Warner releases the Pilot on DVD, it'll be Full Frame (along with Batman: Sub-Zero which was also meant to be seen in 1:66.1 but is being released FF). Will the complaints begin then or will it be ignored because it was shown on TV, thus Full Frame was it's original presentation.

Which becomes more important to us, Original Theatrical Presentation or the Film Maker's Original Intent? Which is the OAR?

Andrew

Rob T

Screenwriter
I'd like to have this one, but if it's a barebones edition then I won't bother. I want a SE of this one. A Vista series would be great. :)
and unless it was shot with a full frame camera, I want it in the Original Theatrical Presentation. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks