-

Photo

Question about 1080P in HDTV etc...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 Darren Gross

Darren Gross

Second Unit

• 499 posts

Posted April 14 2004 - 12:23 PM

Howdy,
I was just reading the latest HDTV etc issue and the informative article about the battling formats for HD-DVD and it raised an interesting issue.

If the goal for HD-DVD is 1080P, how is that going to work with current HDTV technology.

My Loewe set is only capable of up-to 1080i...and looking through the buyers guide in the back of the magazine, I don't see a single other TV that does 1080P.

So when HD-DVD comes along how is it going to work? Will we all have to buy new 1080P TVs, will it be downconverted etc.?
How is this going to work?

#2 of 5 Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted April 15 2004 - 03:33 AM

Darren, with a good (read: expensive) outboard scaler and a stuiably capable projector, you can have 1080p images now (though, of course, you have no 1080p source material as yet). Over the years, you can expect high-end video hardware and applications to "filter" down to more pedestrian prices and equipment. We'll sort of morph into a 1080p world in a low-key way.

But let's let the writer of the story or another HDTV Etc. contributor address your good question.

#3 of 5 Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

Stunt Coordinator

• 223 posts

Posted April 23 2004 - 02:10 AM

Hi Darren,

If I were a betting man, I would expect to see HD-DVD players with a progressive (1080p) / interlaced (1080i) toggle in their system menu, similar to what we have with today's 480p/480i players. I think it's highly unlikely that an HDTV you buy today will be incapable of displaying HD-DVD content. But of course, TV makers will definitely time the release of new "HD-DVD Ready" 1080p models with the debut of the sure-to-be-a-hit HD-DVD format.

Of course, if you read this article just released last weekend, 1080p is for suckers. Where are the 4000p TV's? That's what I want to know...

article:
http://www.nytimes.c....l?pagewanted=1

Hope that helps.

#4 of 5 Darren Gross

Darren Gross

Second Unit

• 499 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 09:16 PM

So in other words, 1080P will leave thousands of people with highly expensive obsolete equipment in two years?

Good grief.

#5 of 5 Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

Stunt Coordinator

• 223 posts

Posted April 27 2004 - 10:46 PM

Hi Darren,

I certainly wouldn't put it in those terms. And truth be told, I don't know that 1080p discs will actually become a reality at any point in the near future. I think mass-market availability of such high quality transfers is still making a lot of people in Tinsel Town very nervous. We'll be sure to keep an eye on HD-DVD though and keep our readers in the loop.