Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Anyone seen MGM's DVD of Much Ado About Nothing?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,075 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted April 14 2004 - 10:38 AM

I'm asking because this particular version (the 1993 Kenneth Branagh one) is a personal favourite, and I'm having a hard time tracking down online reviews. I'm hoping someone can give me some ideas as to picture and sound quality.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Allan^L

Allan^L

Stunt Coordinator

• 106 posts

Posted April 14 2004 - 12:40 PM

I own it (it was impossible to find in a retail store so I had to get it from Amazon). Picture and sound quality are good. Only 2.0 sound but the dialogue is clear and it's not like you're watching U-571 or anything. The picture is anamorphic and Tuscany (where the movie was shot) looks predictably gorgeous. The DVD isn't demo material but if you like the movie, buy it.

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Dave F

Dave F

Screenwriter

• 2,891 posts

Posted April 14 2004 - 12:50 PM

I concur - it's a good disc. Not great, & there's nothing outstanding about the audio/video, but there are also no notable flaws either. So it's a solid, if unspectacular disc. It's a great bargain, too.

-Dave
DVD List

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted April 14 2004 - 05:06 PM

Could anyone comment on how much of an improvement the current DVD is over the original, non-anamorphic release?

-Keith
As far as I'm concerned, it's a damned shame that a field as potentially dynamic and vital as journalism should be overrun with dullards, bums, and hacks, hag-ridden with myopia, apathy, and complacence, and generally stuck in a bog of stagnant mediocrity. - Hunter S. Thompson, 1958, from cover letter he wrote for a newspaper job.

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,790 posts

Posted April 14 2004 - 05:20 PM

The original disc was released by Columbia Tri-Star as a flipper with a 16x9 enhanced widescreen presentation on one side and a 1.33:1 ( open matte? ) presentation on the other side. I didn't purchase the MGM release due to uncertainties regarding any improvements upon the original transfer, and due to my satisfaction with the Columbia Tri-Star disc. While the MGM disc may offer improvements due to advancements in telecine technology ( I honestly can't say ) the original disc features a nice 16x9 enhanced widescreen presentation.

- Walter.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,075 posts

Posted April 15 2004 - 02:30 AM

Thanks, guys. Appreciate the information.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Chris M

Chris M

Second Unit

• 488 posts

Posted April 15 2004 - 12:21 PM

I believe that the SE wasn't released in Canada at all... which is unfortunate. If you want it you'll have to get it from amazon.ca (as an import) or Amazon.com.

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,075 posts

Posted April 15 2004 - 02:36 PM

That is correct. I have a gift certificate from amazon.ca, and that's how I was planning to use it.

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted April 15 2004 - 04:57 PM

The HTF's own Ron Epstein reviewed it, and highly recommended it.

Ron's Review

DVDFile's Review

DVD Talk's Review

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Gunnar Syren

Gunnar Syren

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted April 16 2004 - 04:15 AM

Here are two more reviews:
DVD Movie Central
DVD Verdict