What's new

Anyone seen MGM's DVD of Much Ado About Nothing? (1 Viewer)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I'm asking because this particular version (the 1993 Kenneth Branagh one) is a personal favourite, and I'm having a hard time tracking down online reviews. I'm hoping someone can give me some ideas as to picture and sound quality.

Allan^L

Stunt Coordinator
I own it (it was impossible to find in a retail store so I had to get it from Amazon). Picture and sound quality are good. Only 2.0 sound but the dialogue is clear and it's not like you're watching U-571 or anything. The picture is anamorphic and Tuscany (where the movie was shot) looks predictably gorgeous. The DVD isn't demo material but if you like the movie, buy it.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I concur - it's a good disc. Not great, & there's nothing outstanding about the audio/video, but there are also no notable flaws either. So it's a solid, if unspectacular disc. It's a great bargain, too.

-Dave

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Could anyone comment on how much of an improvement the current DVD is over the original, non-anamorphic release?

-Keith

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
The original disc was released by Columbia Tri-Star as a flipper with a 16x9 enhanced widescreen presentation on one side and a 1.33:1 ( open matte? ) presentation on the other side. I didn't purchase the MGM release due to uncertainties regarding any improvements upon the original transfer, and due to my satisfaction with the Columbia Tri-Star disc. While the MGM disc may offer improvements due to advancements in telecine technology ( I honestly can't say ) the original disc features a nice 16x9 enhanced widescreen presentation.

- Walter.

Chris M

Second Unit
I believe that the SE wasn't released in Canada at all... which is unfortunate. If you want it you'll have to get it from amazon.ca (as an import) or Amazon.com.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks