What's new

What Universal DVD player to get (1 Viewer)

Fernando Saa

Stunt Coordinator
Hello everyone, I need advice on a player that plays DVD-audio and SACD (at least these two) for a price under 400 US dollars if they're out there. I enjoy DVD-audio thanks to my Yamaha RXV-2400 96/24 decoding by playing a DTS DVD-audio encoded in this format through my regular DVD player. The disks from DTS also include a regular DVD-audio soundtrack. Since there seems to be more, or at least just as much SACD titles available, I'd like the idea of getting a "Universal DVD player" Thanks very much for your help.

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
You may be able to check it out at JandR but you won't be able to buy it unless you are in the store. No internet sales for Yamy. See you local Yamy dealer for the s1500. Even if paying full price of $399 you have the 1 year warranty.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
2200 MSRP is $599, but if you look around you can easily find it for less (but I haven't seen it new for less than $400)

DarylA

Agent
Pioneer 563A, $150 at Circuit City and Best Buy. Awesome reviews. Google it and see for yourself. Bought one last week and am very satisfied. Agree with the critique that the remote is small.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
The DV-563a also has problems recognizing a number of DVD-A disks. This has been documented here and a number of other forums. The problem is related to how the DVD-A disk was authored.

Ken Groulx

Stunt Coordinator
Apparently, new models of the 563A utlize a firmware update that takes care of previous DVD-A capabilities, but yes, you still should be made aware of it.

Fernando Saa

Stunt Coordinator
You guys know it all. Thanks for all your inputs. The Pioneer is really cheap. For $150 you could'n go wrong or could you?, I believe quality costs you and I'm not too comfortable with that price being too low, I might be wrong
but the Yamaha 1500 has really good dacs which translate into better sound. Thanks again to all :emoji_thumbsup:

Sheldon-m

Stunt Coordinator
The pioneer 563a has been having problems with DVD-A. High fidelity review did the story. I ahve been waiting on the toshi SD-5960 that will hold 5 disk coming out some time this month. it will be a uni. I Have not seen any reviews on it though. It should be offered for 200$. :emoji_thumbsup:

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
From the AVS thread I've been watching, lots of folks have been returning their Toshibas due to various issues.

Something to consider.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
First, the internet was abuzz with the CD playback performance of the Toshiba 3950. So much so that Crutchfield mention it on its webpage for the 4900 DVD-A player. Now, the SD-4900 is again generating a buzz with its CD and DVD-A performance on sites like head-fi.org. I hope Toshiba continues this with its upcoming universal player.

BTW, apparently the SD-4900 DVD-V/A player is on sale at Best Buy for only $60.00!!

Blaine_M

Second Unit
You might want to consider what type of speaker setup you have as well. If you have a separate sub and smaller front speakers I'd stray away from the Pioneer. The bass management in the unit is set at 120htz for DVD-A and SACD. No one seems to know what the new yamaha 1500 will be set at, but in other threads the Denon 2200 always seems to win out with it's flexibiltiy, it can be set at 80htz and has true bass management for SACD and DVD-A. To get a full warranty on the unit it will cost you $600, if you go to a non-authorized dealer you can get it for around $450.

Fernando Saa

Stunt Coordinator
Blaine_M, I have Deftech's Bp30's ("full range towers")for mains and a good sub (SVS PB2+), and actually my Yamaha receiver decided that my crossover frequency should be at 120hts (why? I don't know but that's another topic, you know that's how my room sounds like i guess...) after automatic calibration. So, regardless of crossovers I'll be more focused on sound and video quality. Thanks again folks!

Mike Co

Agent
I bought the Pioneer 563-a running into a Yamaha DSP-A1 and love it except for the bass issue. I purchased an Outlaw ICBM to deal with it ($329 with cables). No problem, sounds great. The other caveat is that the DAC's are very good on the main's, but inferior on the surround speakers.
I would have bought the Denon 2200, but figured I saved with the Pioneer and Outlaw and will continue to use the Outlaw beyond the life of the 563-a.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks