Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What to do with an old sub?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Kevin_Wadsworth

Kevin_Wadsworth

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted April 14 2004 - 09:05 AM

Over the past couple years I have purchased an SVS PC+ sub which was later replaced with an SVS PB2+. I sold the PC+ sub, but sitting in my basement I still have a JBL 110 Watt subwoofer that was the original sub that I owned. I measured the response of the JBL sub once and I believe its -3 dB point is around 39 Hz (the PB2+ dos a little better...) Does anyone have a recommendation for what to do witht the old JBL sub? I suspect it isn't worth my time to try to sell the thing. Would it be worthwhile to try hooking it up in paralell with the SVS, or would that just throw off my response curve?

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Mike SJ

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor

• 718 posts

Posted April 14 2004 - 09:12 AM

garage sale? computer sub? if you have kids give it to them. if they have a PS@ or xbox set them up a sub. sell it to neighbor kids who want sub. Office space "printer party" Posted Image [just kidding] goodwill donation [tax break]?
bird bath?
you could recreate the SVS animation Posted Image that would be cool, just please dont drop you SVS on top of you JBL sub, it wont work like in the animation.

im trying here, hopefully others will chime in.

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Jimi C

Jimi C

Screenwriter

• 1,209 posts

Posted April 14 2004 - 04:19 PM

you could give it to me
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/theend13/sabres.jpg[/IMG]

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor

• 792 posts

Posted April 15 2004 - 01:43 AM

Nooooooooooo. Don't do that. When combining subs, the flaws of the units are additive. Reminds me of my son who puts ketchup on steak.

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Kevin_Wadsworth

Kevin_Wadsworth

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted April 15 2004 - 02:39 AM

I too put ketchup on steak when I was a kid. Then again, I also used to think that the $80 Pioneer speakers that I owned sounded pretty good. We all make mistakes when we're young... Maybe I'll just shove the old sub under my desk and use it for the computer. Jimi, I don't think it would be worth the time + s/h for sending out this sub, otherwise I'd put it on ebay. I still remember my suprise the first time I ran a bass test tone sweep and discovered that my Paradigm monitor speakers had the same extension as my "sub"woofer.

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor

• 745 posts

Posted April 15 2004 - 03:02 AM

i put catsup on tacos! Not kidding! Posted Image

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Troy R

Troy R

Stunt Coordinator

• 197 posts

Posted April 15 2004 - 03:11 AM

You could contact JBL and see if you could get the TS parameters for the driver and mess around with DIY. It would be a cheap way of trying your hand at making/tweaking a sub...

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Matthew Todd

Matthew Todd

Second Unit

• 339 posts

Posted April 15 2004 - 03:14 AM

Kevin, I sold my Definitive Technology Prosub 100 on ebay right before I got my SVS 16-46PCi. It was a 125 watt 10 inch sub (my first). I got about $200 out of it, and it was easy to sell and ship (I still had the original box and packing material). I know you said you think it wouldn't be worth the effort to sell and ship the JBL, but I thought I'd at least throw in my experience to let you know what I did. If you have the original box/packaging materials it may not be as difficult as you'd think, especially if the money might be useful to you for something else. Matt
"Do not use to unclog a disposal drain." - On a box of Dynamite (from Joseph Howard)

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit

• 322 posts

Posted April 15 2004 - 04:47 AM

If you're near boston, I'd be happy to take it off your hands for a fair market price. I need one to tide me over until this summer when I can build mine tempest sub.

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   David Devaux

David Devaux

Agent

• 45 posts

Posted April 15 2004 - 07:05 AM

I too used to put Ketchup on steak ... I still put it on Kraft Mac and Cheese ... completly grosses my wife out Anyway ... try ebay or audiogon, you may be able to get something for it.

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Alex_P

Alex_P

Stunt Coordinator

• 133 posts

Posted April 15 2004 - 01:09 PM

Since I finished the DIY Tempest sub, I'm using my old sub to beef up my main speakers. I am still playing around w/ the cross-over though... Just a thought...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users