What's new

V - The Series announced (1 Viewer)

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
The series was definitely 4:3. If Warner Bros crop to w/s then they get no sale from me.

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor

Yes, but so was V - The Final Battle.

Only the Original Miniseries was shot for both aspect ratios.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I normally don't get too excited about TV on DVD, but I've been waiting for this announcement for a long time! Excellent news!

I concur with those who would prefer to see this in its OAR of 4:3 and not some falsified 16:9.

Wow. Now if we could just get Miami Vice and a special edition of Flash Gordon (1980) on DVD, I'd be in DVD Nirvana. :D

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG

AFAIK there hasn't been definitive word on the subject either way. However, to my eyes, V:TFB looks a lot better in w/s than it does in 4:3 (I did some side-by-side comparisons). In fact I think it looks better than the original V does in w/s. If the director of The Final Battle didn't want to shoot for w/s then all I can say is nobody related that wish to the cameraman.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Warner certainly does like to matte down their 4:3, non comedy material. I would not be surprised it happened here as well. I do think it would be awesome if they digitally restored the reverberation in the visitors voices. That's surely a long shot though.

A little side note. If anyone reading this has bought "In Living Color" Season one. Check out "The Wrath of Farrakahn" sketch. In the long shots, look slightly to the right of where the Uhura character is sitting. There is a familiar looking prop there.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
This is one of my "holy grail" releases. I know that I'll be dissapointed by it when I watch it, because it cannot hold a candle to my memory of it, but I'm awfully excited anyway.

This release makes me confident that there is nothing I want that won't be on DVD or HD-DVD someday.

I want them to release the series in 4x3, but if they chop it to 16x9, I'm still going to buy it. I'm an OAR whore, but I love this series so much, I couldn't not buy it just to protest. I'll just buy it again if they release it right.

Rick P

Supporting Actor
(stacks another HD on the storage shelf till after the release comes out)..

never fails... soon as I finish editing and am about to author/burn, here comes the release announcement...

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
Until recently never knew what V was... a friend of mine convinced me into checking out the miniseries so I went ahead and bought both... luckily I loved it... shortly after that I heard there was also a short lived series. So I am thrilled to hear that the series has now been announced. so I will be able to see these for the very first time. :)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
TV on DVD has grown to be such a big part of my collection and such a hog of time to watch that I'm being real picky from hear on out getting the Series I know I'll watch more than once. Even high Quality stuff like 24 and the Dead zone I'm sorry I bought becasue I'll probably never get the time to watch it. I remember being really dissapointed in the V series when it aired. I might Netflix it to check it out but a borderline series like this I cannot see owning it.

Deb Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
This is a must-buy for me. I've held off on getting the Columbia House video releases in hopes the series would come out on DVD. My Beta deck is breathing a sigh of relief that there's finally a series it doesn't have to replay in order for me to burn my own DVDs ... :>

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Well, we'll just have to take Kenneth Johnson's word for that. Whatever the case may be, I still consider the original mini to be a MARred release, simply because V's primary audience was television, so 4:3 is still the properaspect ratio for it.

The only reason Johnson would've shot for widescreen wasn't for future 16:9 TV sets. It was so the travesty that happened to Battlestar Galactica would not happen to "his" picture. The foreign cinema release was purely secondary, but if he knew it was a possibility up-front, that's probably why he composed it to be 16:9 safe: just so it wouldn't look too cramped when matted.

This fake letterboxing kept me from buying the DVDs for both minis (I still have the previous VHS releases). If they pull the same stunt again for the regular series, it will, again, be a no-sale for me and I will stick with my set of pre-recorded PAL videos.

Emil Stoica

Second Unit
tvshowsondvd did update their site and confirm it will be 4:3. However, they are putting "Breakout" as the last episode on disc 3. Bad decision imho.

Although it will be nice to no longer need to hook up the ld player to watch these episodes. And no subtitles.

I am very happy this is finally coming out.

david_slater

Stunt Coordinator
myself i will not be buying it.
i only buy shows that are in order.
thats why i like Season sets.
if it had of been in order i would buy it.
oh well...

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

It actually is in order. Airdate order. Read my news story for the details, please, so I don't have to type them up again here.

And for those who want it the other way, that's very easily remedied and I explain how in that same story. Thanks,

Deb Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, Breakout wasn't shown until the entire series had aired, so it actually is in broadcast order. Breakout was such an odd duck, since it introduced the Kyle character in a completely different way than the originally aired episode did. But it did provide an interesting look into Visitor culture, and tied in with a couple of the novels that spun off the series.

I'm beginning to think that the studios should put a call out to the fans for extras if they don't have them themselves - I've probably got at least an hour's worth of V extras recorded off air at the time. Yeah, they wouldn't be DVD quality, but they'd be fun to include. Didn't the guy who designed the Dick Van Dyke sets say he got some of the extras they included off eBay?

Rick P

Supporting Actor
Technically "Breakout" *IS* the correct thrid episode, but NBC would not air it during the original broadcast run, they thought it was too intense for kids. "The Deception" was the 'kinder gentler' intro to Kyle Bates. In syndication they are run one right after another (and will confuse the crap out of people)..

PERSONALLY, I think "Breakout" should be the 'main sequence' episode, and 'The Decpetion' relegated to the 'also ran' stack.

david_slater

Stunt Coordinator
David,
i did see your news story. thats how i know its out of order. Breakout should be the 3rd story not last.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks