What's new

The Dame Edna Experience - The Complete Series 1 (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
YES! This is SO awesome! Here in America we hardly ever get to see Dame Edna and it's been YEARS since I've seen anything on tv so I am psyched to get this!

I hope this is the series (that I saw on tv back in the early 90's) that includes the episodes with Sean Young, Cher, Mel Gibson, Barry Manilow, Cher, Burt Renolds, and Ceaser Romero as the Butler :D

If anyone can confirm this (since Amazon lists celebs that I don't remember seeing), it would be appreciated.

EDIT: Link to the Amazons U.S. Page

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Oh God! That DVD was AWFUL! That was no indication of how funny Dame Edna is. I'm even too embarrassed to show people that DVD because they wouldn't undertsand why I liked this character so much.

Her (his) talk shows were MUCH better.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
Hellooooo, Possums!

The Dame Edna Holiday Special from the mid-80's with Roger Moore, Lulu and man-I-can't-remember-the-name-of-that-politician is also a classic. Barry Humprhies even turns up as Edna's drunken husband.

She/he also did a special where the audience was composed almost entirely of celebrities whom she ridiculed with abandon. Don't remember the name of it, but it was pretty amazing how many big names all showed up for it.

Maybe they'll toss in one of these one-offs as a bonus feature.

And then there was Dame Edna's Neighborhood Watch in which she'd send a live camera crew snooping around the house of some unlucky hausfrau, while the victim watched helplessly from the studio. Not bad.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
That's what I was refering to in post #3. I really didn't like that one at all. :frowning:

The few shows I remember were the one where she had Cher on. Cher came in with a large plant for Dame Edna...When Cher wasn't looking Dame Edna through it behind the couch :laugh:

There was the other one where Dame Edna went to get orange juice for Barry Manilow and went to the supermarket. She was in a hurry and kept asking for the Mega-Star line. :D That's where she met Burt Renolds and took him home with her.

That was also the one where Ceasar Romero was the butler and Dame Edna said that he made a great salad (i.e. Ceasar) :)

There was also another show where she was on some mountain top set that had a ski ramp. Madge was on skiis and they cut to a stunt person skiing down the slope and knocking out the fake tress on the set :D

I hope those are the ones on this set, but if not, it'll still probably be worth it.

Jim*F

Stunt Coordinator
On the BBC's website, I found the following information about The Dame Edna Experience:

Season 1 (1987) - 6 episodes (50 minutes each)
The Dame Edna Christmas Experience! (65 minutes)
Season 2 (1989) - 6 episodes (50 minutes each)
The Dame Edna Satellite Experience (60 minutes)

I've been pleased with BBC releases I have in terms of being comprehensive, so I imagine all the above should make it to the season sets. I would expect:

Season 1 - Disc 1: Ep. 1-4 (200 minutes); Disc 2: Ep. 5-6, Christmas Experience (165 minutes)

Season 2 - Disc 1: Ep. 1-4 (200 minutes); Disc 2: Ep. 5-6, Satellite Experience (160 minutes)

I can't wait for these!

Ron Morgan

Agent
Mark, the shows you are referring to were three Dame Edna specials that aired on NBC over the space of a year or two sometime in the ninties (I forget exactly when.) Those are not on the upcoming DVD set, but it would be great if they were released at some point. I taped two of them, but totally missed the other one. I don't think they've shown up anywhere since. Anyone else remember Edna's short-lived (one episode) Fox show 'It's Edna Time'? I've got that one on tape too.

I have to disagree about 'Neighbourhood Watch.' I grant that it's not as funny as the 'Experience,' but it still had me laughing more than the vast majority of US sitcoms.

Brian, in the 'Holiday Special' Barry Humphries doesn't appear as Edna's husband. By that time poor Norm was completely bedridden with his prostate problems (or had he already passed on?) No, that appearance was as Sir Les Patterson- the drunken Australian diplomat- crude, rude and very funny.

I am anxiously looking forward to the 'Experience' DVD. Quicksticks the badge, Madge...

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
There were some really funny parts, but I don't think I liked the format of the show. I liked it better when she plays off the celebrities...like when she was talking to Meat Loaf and called him "Mr. Loaf" :laugh:

On a side note (for all the Dame Edna fans), I recall and old Johnny Carson (Tonight Show) episode with this 'guest' who I thought was HYSTERICAL! This was before I knew about Dame Edna, so (at the time) I had no idea who the woman was. After seeing Dame Edna (years later), I put 2 and 2 together and thought maybe this was who was on the Tonight Show.

The segment she did was funny. She was showing home movies of her trip to California and Universal Studios (which leads me to believe it's Dame Edna even more since she was a 'visitor' to the state). Anyways, it showed her on the Jaws ride and when the shark popped out of the water, she turned toward the camera with a horrified look on her face (i.e. the curled lip thing she does). :D It was priceless.

Can anyone confirm this? Thanks

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
I knew the Edna character appeared in the BARRY McKENZIE MOVIES, but I noticed Humphries IMDB listing mentions the character's been around since 1966. Wild.

Thanks for that, Ron.

Ron Morgan

Agent

Yes, but back then she was just plain Edna Everage. She didn't achieve Dame-hood until sometime in the late seventies. I've seen a clip of Humphries' first TV appearance as Edna and she was a mousy, timid soul then. He was spoofing the average Melbourne housewife. However, it wasn't too long before Edna started dressing up and becoming the glamorous megastar we know and love today.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
It looks like my dreams have come true possums! On October 5th, they are releasing:
The Dame Edna Experience - The Complete Series 2

along with:
The Dame Edna Experience - The Complete Collection (which I assume is Series 1 and 2 together)

and the best news is:
The Dame Edna Experience - The Christmas Specials - This is what I've been waiting for! :D :emoji_thumbsup:

p.s. there are also a couple Dame Edna/Ab Fab sets coming out as well:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...906499-3669535
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...906499-3669535

October is officially "Dame-tober"

Ron Morgan

Agent
Actually The Complete Series includes the Christmas Specials as well. I do wish the BBC would have the Complete set a bit earlier, though, because now I'm going to end up with two copies of S1. Oh well, I probably wouldn't have been able to hold off until Oct anyway.

The menus were hilarious on the first set and I hope they filmed additional bits with Edna for the next two. There is also sort-of an easter egg on the episode select menu. On my player this only works sporadically, but after selecting an episode it cues a random video clip with Edna making a comment on your selection. There are at least three clips.

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
Dame Edna's first film appearance (in Bruce Beresford's BARRY MCKENZIE HOLDS HIS OWN) is out on Region 4 DVD and has a lot of extras. Barry Humphries does an amusing half-hour interview with interesting stories about the shoot, and also appears in a nearly hour-long doco from the period. There's also a commentary and behind-the-scenes footage. The film itself is worth a look. British journalist Clive James (a friend of Beresford) can be seen throughout the movie as one of 'Bazza's' buddies, and James admits he was drunk for much of the shoot. It's available at EzyDVD below.

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/223197

Dame Edna fans should know that HOLDS HIS OWN is the place where Edna was monikered 'Dame'. The then Australian Prime Minister Gough Whitlam cameos at the end of the movie at an airport after Barry McKenzie returns from his travels. Edna curtsies in greeting, and Whitlam improvised a line right on camera. "Arise, DAME Edna!".

True Edna nuts should also track down her various (Barry Humphries-penned) books, all of which are hilarious. There's several, I think, along with a great 'guide' to the international jetset life - THE TRAVELLER'S TOOL - by supporting character (and Humphries alter ego) Sir Les Patterson. Edna and Sir Les also appear at the end of the PARTY AT THE PALACE concert DVD.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
I watched this set a couple weeks back and was surprised the "Evening With Dame Edna" special was not, in fact, the one I'd seen several times on television. I guess it's safe to assume the British edition of this celebrity-audience classic, a superior one to the Aussie version included in the first set, will be included in a future edition?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks