What's new

Holy Grail problem (1 Viewer)

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
Well, I'm watching the film and it never looked better. However, on my Toshiba the damned English subtitles turn themselves on every five minutes or so. On the Toshiba display subtitling is off, but the subtitles come on spontaneously. Re-entering the menu turns them off, but they very quickly come on again.
What is this?

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Hmm, if you don't post on DVD Talk under the name of darqleo, you are the second person I've noticed with this problem. It may be a player thing, or maybe a full batch of faulty discs???
-Tom

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Do you have a Toshiba SD-2108 (or 2107)? That was my former player and it has (even with the latest firmware available) this problem with a couple of DVDs.
One is EMMA (Miramax) on Chapter 8. The other was 2010 (MGM) on Chapter 6 - or I may have those chapter numbers reversed. Anyway, there was no way to turn off the subtitles during those chapters. I even had sent it in and the Toshiba rep went out and bought these two just to prove the problem to himself so they could look into having the guys in Japan develop a fix. But I don't think they ever did, and to my knowledge haven't continued updating the firmware for this player.

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
I'm not darqleo...it's the SD-9000 model, which has performed flawlessly until the last two weeks. It won't play the Godfather 5th disc, and now this mess. Toshiba have no firmware upgrade for this model, I'm told.
This is really disappointing.

Coressel

Supporting Actor
I'm still using a Toshiba 2107. I'll pick up Holy Grail tomorrow and let you guys know if I have the same problem.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
No problem on my Panasonic H1000.
The new transfer is incredible. I saw it when it was first shown in theaters in the U.S., and it never looked this good.
M.

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
The guy at DVD Talk has a Toshiba SD-2200, so it seems like Toshibas are having trouble.
-Tom

James Corey

Stunt Coordinator
I just picked this up and put it into my SD-5109..... same problem
furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif
not only with the English subs but depending on which language has been selected and left as 'off' on the menu, the subs still appear(spanish, french, etc) but they recur every 2 or 3 minutes.
This sucks... I've been waiting for this release for a long time, and now that it's open, the B&M will not accept it back, so now I'm stuck with a $30.00 coaster set in a very nice box.
Perhaps others here can explain why there is not enough of a standard to avoid this inexcusable phenomenon.
Is this a CTHV compliance issue or a Toshiba one ?
While the transfer does look wonderful, with all of the frequent remote control function required, it's like playing a damn video-game.

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
Well, I've played over 750 DVDs on my SD-9000 and encountered no problems at all until now - first the Godfather 5th disc and now this. I talked to a Toshiba customer service supervisor and she said they hadn't heard anything about it...so I suggest everyone call them. E-mail is ineffective.
Obviously Paramount and Columbia, or whoever prepared the disc for them set up the menu/subtitles in a way that won't work on a number of popular players. I'd like to think they would issue a new, compatible version but that won't happen unless they get a lot of complaints.

Coressel

Supporting Actor
Well, I just watched my copy of Holy Grail and I do NOT have the problem you guys are talking about on my old Toshiba player...
'Tis strange.

David James

Stunt Coordinator
I've got a Toshiba 2109 and I've got the problem. If I go to menu system, they are "off", I hit enter and then return and the subtitles are off. They then return on the next chapter. I've never had any problems with this DVD player before.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
OK, I just gave the disc a spin in my SD-3109, expecting the worst, but I'm not having the same problem. Actually, I can't get the subtitles to turn on. It might be something strange with my configuration -- I have 'on-screen display' set to 'OFF', though I didn't try toggling it to see if that would change things.
------------------
My DVD list | My personal site

James Corey

Stunt Coordinator
I had the OSD switched off already when I had the problem, so I went in and set it to 'on' and the problem persists (SD-5109).
Perhaps those of us who are 'connected' from this forum might publish a link or address to which we can address our concerns.
I'm not aware of what percentage of the market share that Toshiba(or Toshiba-made brands) has but they should have a large enough base that could provide the needed feedback to have CTHV address this travesty.
What a pain in the a$$ !

Paul W

Second Unit
Me too (5109).
This sucks.
------------------
Link Removed Paul Warren
Hey fella . . . I bet you're still livin' in your parent's cellar . . . downloading pictures of Sarah Michelle Gellar . . . and posting "Me too!" like some brain-dead AOL-er . . . I should do the world a favor and cap ya' like Old Yeller . . . you're just about as useless as MPEGs [sic] to Hellen Keller.

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
I finally got to watch Holy Grail, and the Godfather 5th disc...by connecting up my Apex. I suggest you call Toshiba customer service and write the studios. It's peculiar that some DVD companies go to great lengths to replace discs with relatively innocuous problems, while Paramount doesn't seem to respond at all. Maybe Columbia will redo the disc.

Britton

Screenwriter
I'm having problems with subtitles randomly appearing on my Sony DVP-CX860. They only appear for one line of the movie and then stop before they crop up again sometime later.

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
Just got back from Best Buy where I bought the new Holy Grail for 20 bucks. Came home popped it in and the opening scene had subtitles on I thought I accidently put them on. Then it happened again. I remembered the htf thread and low and behold my toshiba 1600 is not immune. Thankfully I bought it at Best Buy where they are always hassle free with returns especially sense I returned 3 bad pressings of Chasing Amy no questions asks. This really sucks I was looking foward to watching this but this problem is to much of a pain in the ass. I recommend everyone who returns this to pick up Python: Live. Peace
------------------
Sorry about the previous Sig.
"Hell hath no fury like a womens scorn for sega."-Brodie Bruce
South Park season-by-season Again on DVD.
Beavis and Butthead on DVD
Family Guy on DVD

Erin

Auditioning
I have the same problem too. I find it very annoying.
I was checking here to see if anyone else had the same problem and that it wasn't just my player. I am in a way happy it is not just me.
Tried everything to turn them off but to no avail. ARGGG!
Well, we have a dvd-rom so it is possible to watch the move w/o the subtitles.
I am angry that there is this problem.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks