Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Any way to get portable audio through FM?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted April 13 2004 - 12:35 AM

Is there any way to get sound from my Portable minidisc player to my factory car stereo using FM modulation or something like that? I don't care about "fidelity", the contents of my MiniDiscs are lectures. I would much rather not buy a new headunit for just an aux input but if that's the only answer then so be it.
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Sathyan

Sathyan

Second Unit

• 298 posts

Posted April 13 2004 - 09:59 AM

Yes, you can do it with FM modulation (or that cassette tape adapter). I've seen these at RadioShack for about $30.

Obviously, there will be sound degradation.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted April 14 2004 - 04:57 AM

Thanks, I ordered one.
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Angelo.M

Angelo.M

Producer

• 4,007 posts

Posted May 05 2004 - 06:49 AM

Philip:

Just to be certain you know, there's a difference between an FM modulator and an FM transmitter.

The modulator needs to be connected between your antenna and your head unit, and will allow you to play your portable player over an FM station. A transmitter does the same thing, but it connects to your portable player and literally transmits a signal to an FM station in your head unit. Modulators usually produce a stronger signal than transmitters, but they do require installation (modulators are also used for satellite radio and aftermarket CD changers). Transmitters are convenient, but many produce a weak signal with poor stereo separation; often inferior to FM radio.