What's new

Horror/Gore DVD Shopping PART II (1 Viewer)

M

MaxY

Hey Guys it looks like the software finally short circuited our original post on length so I figure I would just continue it here.....
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17164&highlight=gore
------------------
Maxsig.gif

Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
Equipment Lists for My HTs
Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
Time to resume Buying Warner Product!!
[Edited last by MaxY on September 24, 2001 at 02:55 PM]

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Max -- You need to update your HT equipment page on your website. Gotta love those Dharmans... :)
I caught Suspiria very very last night, and fast forwarded around. I first saw it on VHS, and this was my first time watching it on DVD.
The music on the DVD seemed to fade noticeably in and out. I'm not sure if this was intentional. Otherwise, I was very pleased with the quality of the picture. Compared to the quality of the VHS, this DVD is, sa they say, "a revelation!" :)
I also caught Maniac, but I think I'll wait to post until after MNF. God, I am a "slut" for football...
blush.gif
(No offense intended.)
BTW - I was Number 400! (Page 17.)
------------------
Best, Sam

M

MaxY

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on Maniac.
I am looking forward to finishing New Gladitors tonight. I am also hoping to get around to Demons II.
BTW I keep planning to update my equipment site and am thinking that I might just get around to it now that I have a digital camera.
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

[Edited last by MaxY on September 24, 2001 at 03:37 PM]

Julie K

Screenwriter
I don't think the software broke - it's just real slow. I've noticed quite a few times a thread is popped to the top yet the actual new posts take a while to show up.
------------------
My DVDs
"Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any pre-Cambrian life forms, did they?"

M

MaxY

Julie,
I know they had problems with a thread on the Attack on The US a couple of weeks ago and 16 pages was all it would go and they had to start a new one. I figured since it would not load page 17 no matter how many times I tried that it was time to start it all again.
Ric,
I am so close to buying a multi-region Player. I will most likely do it as soon as the Malata supports DVD A. That movie does look interesting though.
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know how good the Tartan Region 0 version of Ring is? I would really like to pick it up. Also how do you watch a PAL DVD on your NTSC TV?

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Hey Folks --
Well, I had started this long review of Maniac, but I thought I've been waaaay too pretentious as it is. LOL
laugh.gif
Anyway, it's removed -- my comments didn't seem worthwhile. But the movie is certainly still worth discussing.
------------------
Best, Sam
[Edited last by Samuel Des on September 24, 2001 at 10:09 PM]

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
Hi everyone. I think I was the person who pushed the first thread over the edge. Might have been for the best - I was kind of all over the place in that message so I'll try to make this one more concise. :)
- Based on what you all have said I am very intrigued by Suspiria. Having not seen any of Argento's films though I am reluctant to buy it sight unseen and I have had no luck finding it for rent. Those of you who found it at K-Mart rejoice - the one near me has a poor selection of titles. One thing that concerns me is an experience I had in the past. When I was younger and just getting into George Romero's films I rented Season of the Witch thinking it would be like Dawn of the Dead. I don't know what most people think of that film but it was not for me. Are the two movies similar in style?
- I did pick up and watch Legend of Hell House last night. I may have seen it before but if I did I had no recollection of it. The DVD appears to be extremely light on special features and the picture is a little dark and grainy. Still, this movie did everything the recent version of The Haunting wanted to and more. Not a lot of gore but I liked the ambience of it.
- Lastly, I'm hoping you horror experts can help me remember the title of a movie. This one also takes place in a haunted house IIRC. At one point, the people inside try to saw through the door to get out. During this, one of the men ends up running the saw through his own hand. I know that isn't much to go on but if anyone can get it I know they'll be here.
------------------
"Wait a minute. Was she a great big fat person?"
My DVD Collection

John Henry

Agent
>>At one point, the people inside try to saw through the door to get out. During this, one of the men ends up running the saw through his own hand.

Julie K

Screenwriter
Max,
You're right. I still can't get the last page to load, so I guess it is well and truly broke. I guess I just got used to seeing those word association threads go on and on, I thought horror/gore could keep on going too :)
------------------
My DVDs
"Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any pre-Cambrian life forms, did they?"

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
James --
I haven't seen Season of the Witch, so I can't say how simliar it is to Suspiria. If you are interested in Argento, may I recommend that you view Opera first? From there, I would move to Deep Red and then Suspiria. Although all three are strong purchase candidates, I would buy Opera if I were limited to only one.
All three look FANTASTIC on the Anchor Bay DVDs.
Opera and Deep Red are murder/thriller; Suspiria is a spook house flick. Actually, come to think of it, Amityville Horror (sp?) probably rips off a thing or two from Suspiria. (But I'm just going off memory.)
Be sure to share your thoughts!
------------------
Best, Sam

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry
Like finally dropping the ash on a good cigar, the link is finally broken...
Picked up Susperia the other day; after viewing, guess I'm going to have to watch it again before giving an opinion. It wasn't the same as I remembered, but that's probably my memory :)
Should have An American Werewolf in London in my paws by that time, too.

Lannie Lorence

Stunt Coordinator
I have a question for you guys. I asked it in that most amusing Maniac thread as well, but that has been locked before anyone answered.
Does the Maniac tin come with a booklet? The other tins I have do, but this one doesn't. Just wonderin'.

Bob Morgan

Stunt Coordinator
Hey everybody.There's a petition online now going on for My Bloody Valentine to be released on DVD.
This is one of the great slasher flicks that screams for a deluxe treatment.
I for one would love to see the uncut version.
If you are interested in seeing this movie on DVD, then go to the link below and sign the petition.Include a message saying you would like to see it UNCUT.
Link Removed
Watched An American Werewolf In London last night.
Awesome movie. The effects were incredible.Also it was bloodier than I remembered.
They just don't make them like that anymore(though I wish they would try).
I also watched I Spit On Your Grave. Damn, that was an uncomfortable movie to watch, though I enjoyed watching her vengeance (crossed my legs at a certain scene, though.OUCH!)
Damn, I wish I didn't have to work double shifts.There are so many movies I have to watch. So many movies....

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
I'm really enjoying this thread. I just read through Pt 1 (all 16 pages) and it was great. Max, I salute you for starting this discussion.
CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST is seriously an all-time favourite. I recently ordered the remastered EC DVD online and am patiently waiting for it and the new European HENRY: PORTRAIT OF A SERIAL KILLER disc to arrive here. I'll post some reviews when I get them both in my hands. HOLOCAUST gets a lot of bad flak in some parts but it really is a beautifully made movie - it's one of the best Italian horror movies ever, I think. There's a British publishing company called Fab Press that released a lovely softcover book on the making of the movie, and also more recent books on Fulci (an enormous coffee table volume on Fulci's films called BEYOND TERROR) and Argento (a nice softcover called ART OF DARKNESS). They have a large-format Mario Bava book coming out shortly, too. You can see the covers of all these and read reviews of them at www.fabpress.com if anyone here is interested, (and if they can get past the recently added PayPal thing on the opening page which my browser doesn't seem to like). Some Stateside online retailers also sell these books.
If anyone wants to watch an extremely creepy Mario Bava movie, I'd suggest BLACK SABBATH, which I haven't seen mentioned previously on this thread. It's Bava's three-part horror anthology flick (hosted by Boris Karloff) which was filmed in 1963. The Image disc is the uncut European version, which reinstates some 'adult' content which made AIP nervous during the original release. Best of all, the film is in full-colour and boasts one of Image's most pristine, startling transfers ever. Watch BLACK SABBATH and see if you don't agree that the picture quality on the DVD is amazing. The final story - 'The Drop of Water' - is incredibly creepy. BLACK SABBATH (not to be confused with BLACK SUNDAY, also by Bava and out through Image) is an oldie, but it's a real, genuine horror movie, with fog and ghouls and some beautifully chilling moments that are enough to scare anyone.
RING is a great Japanese horror film. I've heard the British DVD is okay but I think it's a film that works REALLY well in a cinema. I saw it with a packed audience here in Melbourne last year during a film festival and the crowd just loved it. There's a scene in the final quarter of the movie which has become notorious for providing one of all the all-time great scares of recent years. I won't even hint at it here, but folks who watch the movie will know it when they see it. The film is being remade by Dreamworks right now, apparently. I hope this doesn't mean the original film gets buried (or hidden) in one of those sneaky moves that Stateside distributors sometimes impose on movies that they are remaking. RING (or THE RING - both titles are appropriate and have different meanings in the context of the movie) is a great, nifty horror movie, and I hope everyone here gets to see it and discuss it.
Synapse Films (the company run by Don May Jr. that released EVIL DEAD TRAP) has several other good horror titles coming out over the next 6 months or so. All these have been confirmed by Don over at www.mhvf.net at various times. Synapse will be releasing DVD's of...
STREET TRASH - A NY/indie 80's horror flick with some truly amazing gore. It's a warped, Troma-style film with a little more style than usual and some outrageous violence. Many gorehounds have a soft spot for STREET TRASH.
FLAVIA THE HERETIC - A big budget 70's witch-hunting movie with Florinda Bolkan (the actress who incidentally played the witch who was chain-whipped to death in Fulci's DUCKLING). FLAVIA is a good movie that has suffered a lot of cuts in previous video incarnations. I'm hopeful Synapse can do a good job with it. Rape, torture, people being skinned alive... there's lots of nasty scenes, but they're all in the context of a surprisingly involving story.
ENTRAILS OF A VIRGIN/GUTS OF A VIRGIN - Two really nasty Japanese movies from the 80's, with subject matter much as you'd imagine from the titles, but with a crazed mutant monster with a giant penis thrown in to boot. Both of these have been reviewed in various fanzines over the years with the reviewer basically responding "What the %$#@?" Synapse really seem to be focusing on a lot of sick stuff with their upcoming titles.
GRAPES OF DEATH - A Jean Rollin zombie movie with (from what I've heard) some pretty good gore.
TOUCH OF DEATH - One of Lucio Fulci's final movies, with gore scenes repeated in his NIGHTMARE CONCERT/CAT IN THE BRAIN. A middle-aged man slaughters his neighbours, young women and hookers whilst chattering away madly to himself. Think AMERICAN PSYCHO with a middle-aged killer and some staggeringly gory death scenes (filmed on a budget of about $12.98) and you've got the general idea.
Quite a bunch of titles. I've also read that Image Entertainment are releasing CANNIBAL APOCALYPSE early next year with a nice new transfer, (yet another well-respected cannibal flick, this time with a Vietnam-based prologue). Who else is glad Image have dumped those snapper cases?
Just curious - have folks here watched LET SLEEPING CORPSES LIE? It's an Anchor Bay Spanish zombie title that was released by them on DVD several months ago. It apparently has a nice transfer, some good extras, and in particular it's meant to be EXCEEDINGLY gory and nasty when the zombies start walking and munching. I've heard the first two thirds are creepy and atmospheric, the final third sick and bloody. The director appears in a good featurette interview.
Media Blasters are going to be releasing a number of Euro horror titles shortly. They have a bunch of titles coming, one being Lamberto Bava's DELIRIUM/PHOTOS OF JOY, a fun late-80's slasher flick that really delivers for folks who like the Euro feel that the Italians give to their killer-on-the-prowl movies.
Two final horror/gore titles. BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF is coming to Stateside theaters soon, from what I've heard, and I recommend horror fans try to catch it. It's a big budget French werewolf movie with all sorts of amazing martial-arts/period film elements, but with a great monster to boot. The other is BATTLE ROYALE, the Japanese movie that came out in that country (and was a smash) several months ago. 30 or 40 teenage schoolkids get dumped on a large tropical island with various weapons (guns, knives, grenades, crossbows etc.) and are told to duke it out themselves (ala THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME) for the next few days, with only one survivor being allowed to win. It's an amazing movie, really involving and moving, but it also features some incredible scenes of mayhem for gore fans. Bloody scenes aside, it's probably one of my favourite two or three films this year.
I hope that some of the folks who read this thread can check out a couple of these titles and provide feedback. A nasty recommendation for some folks here - there's a HK movie called RED TO KILL that came out recently on a new, remastered DVD, (you can get it for as little as $12 US on Stateside HK DVD import sites like Poker Industries and so forth). It's a rape/revenge flick with some exceedingly nasty, violent and tasteless subject matter. I'd normally be leery of praising a title like this on HTF but if the folks on this thread can give the thumbs up to MANIAC, I think they're ready for anything.
Incidentally, wasn't the Steven Spielberg footage shown in the MANIAC doco absolutely hilarious..?
[Edited last by Anthony Thorne on September 25, 2001 at 06:39 AM]

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Lannie:
quote: Does the Maniac tin come with a booklet? The other tins I have do, but this one doesn't. Just wonderin'.[/quote]
I didn't get one, so I think it didn't come with it. The CD is pretty cool though. I really love having Spinell's head on a disc.
laugh.gif

Scott --
I love this line:
quote: Steven Seagal is funnier by accident than most comedians are on purpose. Exit Wounds [/quote]
Barry --
quote: Like finally dropping the ash on a good cigar, the link is finally broken...[/quote]
That's a lovely image... sniff....
Anthony --
I just don't trust Image. I purchased Twitch of the Death Nerve... and the sound was HORRIBLE! I couldn't watch the film because it sounded so bad! The ironic thing is, the picture was very good. Sigh.
------------------
Best, Sam
[Edited last by Samuel Des on September 25, 2001 at 01:22 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks