What's new

Advanced Anime Discussion (1 Viewer)

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
With the other thread at 25 pages and over 600 posts, I felt it was time to start a sequel thread. Please post here and not in the other one anymore. To start things off I'll post my Ultimate List...again :)
MOVIES
Akira
Ghost in the Shell
Perfect Blue
Wings of Honneamise
Princess Mononoke
Castle of Cagliostro
Blood: The Last Vampire (not as mindless as you think)
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
SERIES/OVA/OAV
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Cowboy Bebop
Outlaw Star
Trigun
Escaflowne
Macross Plus (OVA)
Rurouni Kenshin - Trust & Betrayal (OVA)
Record of Lodoss War (OVA)
SERIES I'VE ONLY SEEN PART OF BUT LOVE SO FAR
Gasaraki
Crest of the Stars
You're Under Arrest (my guilty pleasure)
Tenchi Muyo (original OVA)
Boogiepop Phantom
Bubblegum Crisis 2040
Gundam 08th MS Team
CURRENTLY WATCHING
Boogiepop Phantom
Record of Lodoss War - TV Series
Martian Successor Nadesico
Gundam 08th MS Team
-------
On with the discussion!!!
**UPDATE**
The other thread has been moved to the Software Archive forum. If you have any questions, you might want to check that thread out first. That way we're not answering the same questions again and again. I'll also be updating my ULTIMATE LIST from time to time...not that anyone cares
wink.gif

------------------
I am Jack's Signature

"Here's to us poor schmoes, working for the man. Even if he is a hot, sexy female man."
"But as a gentleman, I must warn you, if you so much as glance at another woman, I'll be on her like a fly on a pile of very seductive manure."
[Edited last by Joe_C on August 07, 2001 at 01:49 AM]

Bob Morgan

Stunt Coordinator
Joe,
can you explain to us newbies what the difference is between a series, an OVA,and a OAV is?
For instance there is Tenchi Muyo which seems to have a lot of different series, Tenchi In Love, Tenchi:The Ultimate Edition, Tenchi Universe, ect, ect.
Are they all different series or are they the same story, just told in a different way(ie, originally a TV series, then released as a movie with different artists, writers).
Help a confused newbie, sir! :)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
OVA and OAV are the same thing, Original Animated Video, meaning a direct to video release (not a TV series). these are generally higher quality than TV series due to their larger budgets, and smaller scale (ie 1-8 episodes for an OVA vs 26-48 for a TV series).
With regards to Tenchi, the "universe" is set up in the OVAs (Ultimate Collection). The TV series (Tenchi Universe) uses the same characters as the OVA but changes the storyline and the way the characters are introduced. Tenchi In Tokyo (which I haven't seen yet) is another TV series that follows the Universe series. Tenchi Muyo in Love, Daughter of Darkness and Tenchi Forever are movies based on the Universe. I hope I got that right.
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | dOc

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
Bob,
Jeff got it right. Just think of an OVA/OAV as a mini-series. For example, the Merlin mini-series on NBC awhile ago had a much higher budget PER EPISODE than say, Buffy or Friends. Thus, the use of more expensive special effects and, in the case of an anime show, better animation and more computer enhanced special effects.
------------------
I am Jack's Signature

"Here's to us poor schmoes, working for the man. Even if he is a hot, sexy female man."
"But as a gentleman, I must warn you, if you so much as glance at another woman, I'll be on her like a fly on a pile of very seductive manure."

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I was reading about Evangelion DVD woes. I got all of my discs from DigitalEyes.net, and a lot of them were either on time or early. The second disc was 2 months late, but that was ADV's problem. I think they have all 8 discs in stock.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Thanks, Joe, for starting the new thread. The server appreciates it.
I have archived and closed the old thread...check out the Software Archive if you need to refer to it.
- Steve
------------------
gotremo.jpg

Got Remo?

Bob Morgan

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it.
As for my Evangelion woes, I asked Bestprices.com if I could cancel my Ninja Scroll order(since they are out of stock at the moment)and order Evangelion 03 instead.
I hope they can do that for me. I really, really want to watch this series this weekend.
As for Tenchi. How good is that series?Whether it's the OVA, or TV series(sheesh, sound like an expert, huh :) ), or the movies. Is it a comedy, a drama, something inbetween?
Oh, and Bubblegum Crisis 2040, do I need to see Bubblegum Crisis before picking up the series?Or, doesn't it matter?
I sure do love this thread.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'll sum up Tenchi without spoiling anything. Tenchi lives with his father and grandfather on a mountain in Japan. He is learning to fight from his grandfather. He comes to meet and become friends with many spacewomen, some of whom love him and fight for his attention. That is just a quick sum up, and may not be totally correct. The show is more of an action show (some episodes are very actiony and good), but some episodes focus more on Tenchi and the girls. Its a weird series, and I don't really know what it would be considered. Ranma 1/2 is a comedy, Evangelion is a sci-fi action/drama, but I don't know what Tenchi is. If Cartoon Network puts it back on, watch some of it. I don't like it, but I don't dislike it.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Well, I love Tenchi! The OVAs are the best, but once you've been there you'll want more. It is a comedy, but has an ongoing storyline. Character development is great. OVAs firts, then Universe, then movies with Tokyo somewhere in the middle of the movies I think.
BGC - you don't need to see the originals first. While they share the same characters, both have a completely different tone to them. The originals are older style animation, and are more violent, and also have a different storyline that I hadn't expected (I started with Tokyo 2040, then got into the original about halfway through 2040). 2040 is definately more current as far as style goes.
Both these series rock. Tenchi for humor, BGC for just plain coolness, action cyberpunk with anime babes. :)
------------------

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Bob,
For Bubblegum Crisis and Bubblegum Crisis 2040, the former is an OVA series and the latter is a TV series.
The OVA series is very centered around the main character, Priss, and is very heavy oriented on music and high action.
The TV series is more centered around the character, Linna, and is more dramatic, less music, but still has action, but not as much as the original OVA.
You don't need to watch the OVA to appreciate the TV series, but it is good to watch the OVA first to appreciate the TV series.
K.C.

Chris Bedard

Stunt Coordinator
Well, just finished watching the first three episodes of ADV's Orphen (Sorcerous Stabber Orphen). It seems pretty good so far, but three episodes on the disc seems a bit below par, when everyone is putting 4-5 per disc usually. Picture was VERY good though, and the sound was good too, for a 2 channel stereo track (Japanese). I sampled the dub, and found the usual, ie. crap. Oh well. Can't wait for the next disc, even though my wallet is already begging for mercy.
Anyone else seen this, or seen the whole series so I know if it gets better and should buy the rest?
------------------
Chris
My HT and 2000 Celica Site
Site updated 07/09/01

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I heard that Orphen gets really good. I really am not that interested by it, but nothing really interests me unless it sticks out to me. ADV usually has pretty good image/sound quality on their DVDs and some well designed menus, but the discs hold an average of 3 episodes. The first two Evangelion DVDs had 4 episodes, the rest had 3. I don't mind, considering that for the same price, you get fewer episodes with bad quality on VHS. I would get upset if the whole series was on 13 DVDs (like the tapes), but I am satisfied with the setup.
How many episodes are in Orphen? If its below 30, I could understand 3 episodes per disc. From what I read, it seems to be a longer series, so I guess 5 episodes per disc would seem like a better idea, but would be priced higher.
The best disc I saw was Outlaw Star. It had 7 or 8 episodes per volume (with 2 discs in each volume and a $45 price per). That way, 26 episodes take up little space on the shelf. If only I had been more into the series, I could have gotten it as a gift or something. Anyone have any ideas of what anime you think I might be interested in? I love Evangelion (duh) and Lain. What do you think I would like? (I don't like DBZ or anything else on TV. Not because its on TV, but I just don't like it. I also don't like the long 80-something episode series')

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
Steve,
No problem. Just doing my part to ensure the happiness of our server. When the server's happy, our moderator overlords are happy :)
-------------
Morgan,
Outlaw Star is 3 discs with an episode count of 9-9-8. I picked up the entire series at Anime Expo for just under $100. DEFINITELY worth it.
Anyone have any ideas of what anime you think I might be interested in?
I know you like Eva and Lain, but can you give us a list of what anime you've already seen/own and what you thought of each? It'll help in determining which shows are right for you :)
------------------
I am Jack's Signature

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
Regarding Bubblegum Crisis 2040, you can see the first 3 episodes on Encore Action Channel on Tuesday, August 7th at 11:50pm ET (check your local listings elsewhere in case your cable system delays this channel). For full details on the broadcast of this and Macross Plus, see my post in the anime newbie thread:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/.../028781-3.html
PS On Cartoon Network is Outlaw Star, but whereas the two mentioned above are just starting, Outlaw Star is in the middle of its run.
[Edited last by Ken Stuart on August 07, 2001 at 02:15 AM]

Martin G

Second Unit
Here is another recommendation for a great OAV to watch. It is Armitage the third. You ca find a feature length version in most rental stores. I would strongly suggest finding the complete 4 volume version. The feature length version cuts out some important development scenes, but it is still worth watching if you can't find the full 4 volume version. The dub is acceptable. In fact I think it might be the best dub that I have ever seen. I would still suggest the sub if you can find it. I think the full 4 hour version is only available subbed, but I might not be correct on this. Its about a Robot hating cop dealing with the mass murder of robots called thirds (robots capable of art and other such things making them very human). His new partner turns his view upside down shortly. I would say more, but I don't want to spoil anything.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
I, too, recommend Sorcerer Stabber Orphen (the series). I also do not recommend the English dub because accordingly, the English ADR dub writer rewrote the whole story for each episode! Um, who gave him that right?
Orphen is only 24 episodes...and 3 episodes on a disc isn't bad.
Don't get spoiled with episode counts...the more episode you place on a disc, the worse the video quality gets...look at ADV's Arc the Lad Vol. 3 with 5 episodes...the video is averaging roughly 3.7 or 3.8 Mb/sec...not good in my book...it may look okay...but it sucks. At least with R2 DVD, you are mostly getting an average of 9.2 Mb/sec for video (with range 8.0-9.8).
The upcoming Gatekeepers released by Pioneer USA is also 3 ep per volume, 8 volumes all together...24 episodes total (this is based on their contract)...it is the same output on the R1 DVD as on the R2 DVD in terms of ep per DVD. This is a must-get series as well.
I also believe that Orphen has a second series, if I remember correctly...but I am not sure... I need to check my resources.
---
And I'll say it again, watch Nadia. :)

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
quote: And I'll say it again, watch Nadia.[/quote]
Is there a set release schedule, or is each disc being released "when it's done"? I was going to wait until at least half the series was released, but I doubt I'll have the self-control. I'll most likely start picking it up once at least three discs are released.
------------------
I am Jack's Signature

"I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman!"
"Look, all I'm saying is, if these big stars didn't want people going through their garbage and saying they're gay, then they shouldn't have tried to express themselves creatively."

[Edited last by Joe_C on August 07, 2001 at 04:23 AM]

Bob Morgan

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, Question
Was there something wrong with the original DVD's of the original Bubblegum Crisis?
I was purusing another board and someone said something about the discs having an audio problem, or subtitle problem, or something. He, or she said that it was better to get the megaseries 4 pack as all the discs were corrected.
Anyone help me with info on this?
I'd rather not buy corrupted discs.
One more thing. What does fan service mean?

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
Orphen: Note that after disc 3, the remaining 3 discs will have 5 episodes each. ADV is switching to a six disc release pattern wherever they can now.
Arc the Lad: As was mentioned on my forum direct from ADV, Arc the Lad #3 and #4 were done by two different authoring houses. #3 was done as a single layer disc for 5 episodes, and they didn't find out until it was practically too late. So they went with it. This isn't as bad as it could be, as the Arc episodes are on average 3 minutes shorter than a normal show. So that's 15 minutes less than normal. There are some less then stellar quality issues with it, but #4 corrects this problem completely and that authoring house is doing the remainder of the series.
Quick heads up: Princess 9 just got formally announced, with 5 episodes per disc from the start and a low low retail price of 19.98$. This isn't a heavy sports show, though baseball is the sport of choice, but more of a relationships/growing up shoujo anime. Support this release! If it goes well, it'll help push ADV to go after more varied releases. And with this low of a price (12$ online!) it's practically a steal. 4$ an episode by MSRP or just over 2$ an episode with online discounts.
------------------
Chris Beveridge
Webmaster, www.animeondvd.com
Animation and stories for those who like to think outside of the Disney box

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Yes, there were authoring problems with the first BGC discs, but if you get the Mega pak (4 discs) you'll get the good ones.
Fan service=service for the fans. Gratuitous scenes usually denoting sexual references (cleavage, panty shots, focus on female body parts, nudity), but can also be applied to mecha.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks