Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Can I still have a good theater with 6.6 to 7' ceilings?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Todd smith

Todd smith

Supporting Actor

• 645 posts

Posted April 11 2004 - 09:10 AM

The room I will be doing my theater in has 7' ceilings. On each end of the ceiling running lengthwise there are airducts about 2'wide which brings the ceiling height to 6'6" at these two spots(7' in the middle between ducts. Actually there is only one duct on one end right now running lengthwise, but I plan to mirror this by adding another one on the other side of the ceiling running lengthwise as well to balance out the ceiling and get better acoustics. Would this be optimal to build a fake duct for acoustics?) room dimensions are 12'W x 22'L and fully enclosed. The room will iclude soudproofing as well. I have a 36" tube tv so I dont have to mount a projector or anything. I know this isnt ideal but will I still be able to create a good theater experience in this area with my plan?

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Jack Ferry

Jack Ferry

Stunt Coordinator

• 222 posts

Posted April 11 2004 - 09:24 AM

My room (in progress) has similar dimensions, except 7'2" ceilings and 13 foot wide.

I think your room should work fine, especially given the (relatively) small screen size.

Have fun with it!!

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Orlando

Orlando

Stunt Coordinator

• 206 posts

Posted April 11 2004 - 09:46 AM

I have a less then 7-ft screen with a drop down screen and ceiling mounted projector. A little low for my taller friends but alot of fun anyway.

Check out this thread for pics.

http://www.hometheat....hreadid=193284

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   ChadLB

ChadLB

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted April 11 2004 - 02:03 PM

Todd,
My ceiling is 7ft. My only problem is my screen is tight to the ceiling...other than that it works out just fine.

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt

Producer

• 3,813 posts

Posted April 11 2004 - 02:13 PM

My room is 12 wide by just under 7 high and 24 long and I have a tube and PJ in mine and it works just fine.

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Todd smith

Todd smith

Supporting Actor

• 645 posts

Posted April 12 2004 - 09:44 AM

Cool. Thanks for the support. How is the sound in your rooms with this ceiling height? What do you guys think about me miroring my air duct (from original post)? Does this sound like a good idea?

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Christo Ramo

Christo Ramo

Stunt Coordinator

• 152 posts

Posted April 14 2004 - 05:42 AM

I am in the same boat as you - check out my site. I am probably going to start the sheet rock this weekend, so I dont know about sound issues, but you should have no problems.

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   John Menoni

John Menoni

Stunt Coordinator

• 220 posts

Posted April 17 2004 - 03:52 AM

My ceiling is 6 1/2 and even goes lower in certain places. I have a decent system down there right now and it does sound pretty impressive. I have an L shaped room that is very narrow and long in the theater area. I think it is hard to expect a perfect theater room unless your very wealthy. Especially where I live. I am sure when I have all the equiptment I want and get everything set up, it will be a great place to watch movies with the family.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   DarrinH

DarrinH

Second Unit

• 305 posts

Posted April 21 2004 - 07:44 AM

My ceiling is 6'-10" 2 feet on the sides and 4 feet front and back, 7'3" in an 8'X 10' section in the center. Room dimensions are 12' wide by 17' tall. I have a 36" Sony XBR400 with carpet on the walls. Works great for me! I don't think you will have a problem.
http://mars.walagata...ceilingshot.JPG
President of the WV Home Theater Group
http://www.geocities.../wvhtgroup.html