Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Comedy on DVD - Often Overlooked?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#21 of 23 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted April 11 2004 - 12:52 AM

Decent OAR transfers at the very least should be expected. 90% of those films have yet to be remastered or cleaned up in any way since the DVD format was introduced and altered p&s cuts is not acceptable. Anamorphic widescreen should not be too much to ask, let alone a proper DVD issue.

#22 of 23 OFFLINE   John Kilduff

John Kilduff

Screenwriter

• 1,668 posts

Posted April 11 2004 - 06:09 PM

I have to give it to Warner...

Once they got over the hump of the early days (with the various MARred movies), they started to get a feel for their DVDs, and the comedies are no exception.

Depending on whether they fit your definition of humor in the specific time period you mention, then "Victor/Victoria", "The Accidental Tourist", "The Spirit Of '76", "One Crazy Summer", "The In-Laws", "The Sunshine Boys", "Gremlins", "Gremlins 2: The New Batch" and "The Goonies" are all comedies that have gotten anamorphic transfers and commentaries (All of them), deleted scenes ("Tourist", "'76", "Goonies", "Gremlins/Gremlins 2"), music videos ("'76", "Goonies") and trailers (All of them).

Granted, Warner still slips up on occasion ("Citizens On Patrol" and "Assignment: Miami Beach", anybody?), but more often than not, Warner gives their titles the dignity of an OAR transfer (excluding the 1:66:1 titles and the beginner's titles from the late 90s) and good supplements.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Sorry if I steered it off-course, but I wanted to note that not all DVD companies give their comedies the shaft.
Forget the Rewind. If you want real retro action, go to http://www.retrojunk.com.

Proud member of the American Film Institute and a Wal-Mart employee (Yes, you can be both).

From Michelle Pfeiffer to Daryl Hannah and all points in-between, I love 80s women. Don't believe me? Scope out this link: htt.....

#23 of 23 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted April 12 2004 - 02:20 AM

Too bad they have to slander those efforts with their notorious snapper cases though; Gremlins 1/2 deserves more respect than that!

I guess that's another discussion though...

Posted Image