Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

"TUNNEL VISION" coming on DVD 12/4!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,046 posts

Posted November 15 2001 - 11:10 AM

Made in 1976, after "The Groove Tube" but before "Kentucky Fried Movie", this is one of the 'sketch comedy' films of the 70's having no real plot other than you are supposed to be watching phony TV shows and commercials. I have a 35mm print of this which I got to see at the last theater I worked at, so I'll be buying this DVD just so I can show people what that weird movie is I have in those film cans sitting in the corner of the room!
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,611 posts

Posted November 15 2001 - 11:27 AM

If you are a fan of KENTUCKY FRIED MOVIE and
GROOVE TUBE, then TUNNEL VISION is a no-brainer.

Though it certainly isn't nearly as popular
as the former two, it has the same kind of
campy comedy.

That movie brings me back quite a few years!
Isn't that the film that had the artwork of a
television atop an ape's head?

------------------
Posted Image

Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
Circa 2000
Home Theater Forum Administrator
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: hometheaterforum@home.com
Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
Email Packy packy@hometheaterforum.com

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,046 posts

Posted November 15 2001 - 01:01 PM

"Groove Tube" had the poster with the gorilla with a TV for a head- Tunnelvision had a poster with a TV sitting on a toilet floating in space and the tagline "Laugh or get off the pot", but the current VHS tape has the fictional network's logo on the cover, which is open lips with an eyeball inside.
It wasn't until I put my film print back in the can that I noticed a tag on the leader of reel 1 saying it should be projected in the 1.66 aspect ratio; that option wasn't available at the theater so I had to show it in 1.85 resulting in heads being cut off in a few scenes. Most theatrical prints of this, including the one I have, came with Cheech and Chong's 1973 "Basketball Jones" cartoon at the start of reel 1; including this on the DVD would be too good to be true.
Oddly my favorite part of this movie is the "Broccoli City" commercial- wonder how much they had to pay those kids to munch on all that broccoli?
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,605 posts

Posted May 13 2002 - 10:56 PM

Having just watched Kentucky Fried Movie on DVD yesterday and finding it absolutely hilarious, I am interested in Tunnel Vision.

How is the transfers of Tunnel Vision and Groove Tube?

Also, doesn't Amazon Women on the Moon need a 16x9 transfer?

all-banner.jpg

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,046 posts

Posted May 14 2002 - 06:54 AM

Groove Tube and Tunnel Vision are both fair quality, they look like they came from an analog tape source. Amazon Women on the Moon looks pretty good; I'm not sure what ratio this was supposed to be shown in but there's no "Formatted to fit your screen" message so I bought it anyway.
My 35mm print of "Tunnel Vision" has a tag on the leader saying "Please project at 1.66"; the theater I worked at only had 1.85 lenses and some scenes had obvious cropping on the top. The DVD appears to be open-matte as there are two hard-matted shots in the whole movie and those appear with black bars.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Jodee

Jodee

Screenwriter

• 1,044 posts

Posted May 14 2002 - 08:40 AM

Wow, am I glad I found this thread. I remember seeing this movie as a kid and liking it. I had no idea there was a DVD out (and I am pretty anal about scaning all the new releases.)

When I first saw the thread I thought it was coming out later this year, but then realized it was already out!

I just placed my order at DVD Empire ($14.45 - plus I used a $5 off coupon.)

Thanks!

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,046 posts

Posted May 14 2002 - 10:51 AM

Anyone who has a 35mm projector, I'll be glad to bring my print by!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users